TerryD's Pepper: Family Adventure Rig - Page 34 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 161Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #331 of 338 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2007 Midnight Blue ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVX View Post
Congrats on your wife's RN degree!!!
Thanks! She's been working really hard for that and I'm really proud of her!

Mildly Demented...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KT4OZ
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 338 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Been getting a few things done to the X recently, trying to make some headway.

PMF'd the transmission
Rotated the tires (was really overdue)
Eliminated the small heater hose tee
Checked the u-bolt torque
Clocked my upper ball joints forward one setting and had the alignment touched up
Replaced the damaged DS inner TRE

With time running short on me, the drawers aren't going to happen and I don't see the compressor happening either just yet. I need to get the other heater tee replaced as it's showing signs of leaking and I don't want that blowing out on me with me away from 90% of my tools. I would also like to get the braided brake hoses installed and bleed the brakes since I doubt that's ever been done.

Mildly Demented...

KT4OZ
Build Thread:

Last edited by TerryD; 06-17-2019 at 07:27 AM.
post #333 of 338 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
I've been starting to pack for the Colorado trip this weekend. Playing Xterra Tetris to get everything in and accessible with the least effort possible.

The BIG Ozark Trail cooler fits behind the back seats ok and my tools and recovery gear are hal the as well. Camp stuff, including my tent and chair, are in the middle row with the seats up. This makes getting to my hi-lift tricky but both of the other guys will have one with them.

I'm going to run my passenger seat folded flat I think to have my tablet and possibly my laptop on.

Now to get my fuel can strapped to the roof rack and pack my clothes.

Mildly Demented...

KT4OZ
Build Thread:

post #334 of 338 (permalink) Old Today, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
So two days ago, we were running Rampart Range Near Colorado Springs. At the top of the mountain, the washboard was horrific. You had to run about 35 in order to smooth out enough that things weren't falling off the vehicle. During that, I heard what I thought was something falling off of my vehicle and the next time we stopped, I gave everything a cursory glance.

We found a campsite at the top of the mountain above Woodland Park Colorado, and stay there for the night. The next day we decided to abandon Rampart Range because of the washboard, and make our way to China Wall. On the way to China Wall, I discovered that my cruise control was not function. Turns out, the metallic noise I heard was my clock spring breaking.

Yesterday, I had to start for home. I wasn't relishing the thoughts of a 1400 mile drive without cruise control. I stopped in at a Nissan dealership in Colorado Springs and purchased a new clock spring. Luckily, there was a AutoZone a few miles down the road. The nice folks there let me change the spring in the parking lot and borrowed one of the steering wheel pullers without charging me. It took about 40 minutes to do there in their parking lot.

Not a bad job, just a little intimidating if it's your first time doing it. I'm currently traveling through Kansas, I've put about 280 miles on it and it is so nice to actually have cruise control out here! Really hoping to cover some ground in the next couple of days and get home, clean up my gear, and rest a little bit before going back to work on Tuesday.
kolsky likes this.

Mildly Demented...

KT4OZ
Build Thread:
post #335 of 338 (permalink) Old Today, 11:07 AM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
You ran 35 psi on washboard roads? That's still pretty stiff, I'd have gone 18-20 psi at least, 12-15psi for trails.

post #336 of 338 (permalink) Old Today, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
I was running about 20 psi in the tires, I was saying you had to run about 35 miles an hour. Anything under that, it would shake things off the dash the things on my Ram mounts were moving around so much I couldn't read them, and it was just really uncomfortable.

Mildly Demented...

KT4OZ
Build Thread:
post #337 of 338 (permalink) Old Today, 12:45 PM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
I was running about 20 psi in the tires, I was saying you had to run about 35 miles an hour. Anything under that, it would shake things off the dash the things on my Ram mounts were moving around so much I couldn't read them, and it was just really uncomfortable.
Ah that makes more sense. It's times like that where you are envious of something like a Raptor that soaks up all that.

We had these Dodge 2500's when I worked out west, they were fleet trucks (ie cheap). You'd completely lose steering over washboard unless you were going real slow.
TerryD likes this.

post #338 of 338 (permalink) Old Today, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
I can't imagine a 3/4t truck on that stuff.

In Mt Vernon, Il tonight. Hoping to get an early start and be home tomorrow night!

I ate supper at The Beast Craft BBQ in Belleville this evening and I can't say enough good about it! I hope it's not the only time I eat there!

Mildly Demented...

KT4OZ
Build Thread:

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Member's Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode