AlbatrossCafe's FleXterra ~ T-Swap, 35s, 4.10s, Fully Locked - Page 74 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 624Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #731 of 785 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 04:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Lava Red ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM1RU View Post
If I may, I suggest getting limit straps. Set up correctly they will prevent destroying the internal bump stops on your shocks..
"Limiting straps... you mean ABS lines?"

I've been meaning to make that into an Xterra meme for awhile now.
TerryD likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #732 of 785 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

Two Problems

Found some interesting stuff in my airbox today. First was a lot of water. I have never found standing water in my airbox before so I was suprised. We have had a TON of snow lately though. Second was a pretty good sized stick. How did that get in there...?

I had plugged the drain hole at the bottom at the time I installed my snorkel. But now I am realizing that is not really necessary... in the few years I've had the snork, I haven't had water over my hood and I avoid most deep water like the plague. If I ever get into deeper water, a small little drain hole shouldn't be the difference of life or death of my engine unless I am there for way longer than I should be.

My "Diff Lock" light had been blinking when I engaged the rear locker switch. I thought it was an issue with the sensor inside the diff (since I had that problem right after my re-gear, which the shop fixed soon after). But earlier today I noticed an "empty" plug above the diff. Crawled under and realized the wires had been ripped apart! Too much droop!

My E-locker still works, but I suspect this sends data back to the truck about locker engagement. New plug should be an easy fix I hope!

BlackbirdSR71 likes this.

Build Page -

Trip Photos Page -

"Mods first - life later."
post #733 of 785 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 06:10 AM
NewXer 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Hmm good thing to catch early with the water. I am not surprised, my buddy with a first gen stalled out (has a snorkel too). We checked his air box and filter, it was soaked, dried it out and replaced the filter and all was fine. I get sticks like that too in the box FYI!

See any way to extend the plug or the bracket? Maybe let the plug float if possible? It’s too salty out for me to crawl under mine right now.

post #734 of 785 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhullD View Post
See any way to extend the plug or the bracket? Maybe let the plug float if possible? Its too salty out for me to crawl under mine right now.
Found this plug on fleaBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Connecto...53.m2749.l2649

It is a component of the "ABS Wheel Speed Sensor" but it looks pretty much identical to the one I pulled out.

That plug will come with wire in it already. Soldering the existing wire to that should give me all of the extension I need. Looks like the other plug has enough slack. The plug that broke had also been fine for a year before this problem. So it was probably just at the end of its reach.

Build Page -

Trip Photos Page -

post #735 of 785 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Well, the replacement definitely worked! My e-locker light is back on and now there is PLENTY of slack in the wiring! Quick and easy for only $12!

BlackbirdSR71 and NWCoffeeGuy like this.

Build Page -

Trip Photos Page -

post #736 of 785 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

HID Problems:
- I bought someone else's HID Retrofit
- Both sides were aimed at the ground (like literally, one of them was aimed a few feet in front of the bumper
- Both sides were not responding to adjustment screw
- No sealant in headlights
- Only one side turned on after about a week
- The solenoid that triggers hi-beam in the passenger side only worked after giving it a good slap or hitting a pothole

NO one would touch these things. Not any shop, and especially not myself. I finally got referred to Blackout Retrofit in Seattle who was willing to take on the work and I am so glad I did.

This guy spent 3 hours tearing apart my housings and telling me everything that was wrong as I hung out. He also rerouted a bunch of my wires, remounted ballasts in better locations, and even fixed a broken terminal connection on the battery from my winch while he was in there. The best part is, he did 3h of work for a STEAL of a price. I actually paid him literally double what he was asking and I thought that was totally fair. 10/10 great experience and would recommend.

Now I have super-bright HIDs that look and work fantastic. Love the "minimalist" look of these as opposed to ones with all the painted shrouds, halos etc.

Build Page -

Trip Photos Page -

Last edited by AlbatrossCafe; 02-27-2019 at 11:26 AM.
post #737 of 785 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:50 PM
Supporting Member
2014 Glacier White ❌terra S

Garage
Those things look so good! One day....one day...
AlbatrossCafe likes this.
post #738 of 785 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 01:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member - AKA MetalJohnny
2010 Night Armor ❌terra S

Agree that the headlights look great without all the other lights in there. Im gonna have to look into getting mine done as well, tired of my weak headlights.
AlbatrossCafe likes this.

post #739 of 785 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 07:58 AM
2012 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4

Garage
I can't stand my wimpy, weak headlights...did you take an HID set to them for the install - or did you buy from them directly ?
They sell some pricey Morimoto HID's on their website.

RJ Giddings
Click Here for >
post #740 of 785 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalJohnny View Post
Agree that the headlights look great without all the other lights in there. I’m gonna have to look into getting mine done as well, tired of my weak headlights.
I was considering all kinds of lighting upgrades cus of how bad the stock headlights were. But now that I have these HIDs, honestly I don't really feel like I need any aux lighting. They are an investment but well worth it if it saves me from buying a bunch more mounting brackets and LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbirdSR71 View Post
I can't stand my wimpy, weak headlights...did you take an HID set to them for the install - or did you buy from them directly ?
They sell some pricey Morimoto HID's on their website.
I bought them from a guy in Oregon in July. I have run them since then but always had the problems above. Blackout Retro was the only place I talked to that would work on them. I bet you could send him a message if you want him to build you a set. He would do the work to source all the parts. Might even be able to get a discount if you say you heard of him through me
RockHunter and BlackbirdSR71 like this.

Build Page -

Trip Photos Page -

Last edited by AlbatrossCafe; 02-28-2019 at 09:27 PM.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Member's Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in