PiXterra Build by nworker - Page 5 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Desert Explorer
2015 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

Smart Touring System Quick Fit Brackets

On this year's Black Rock Desert trip, @XKNUT showed me his new Quick Fit Bracket setup from Smart Touring Systems. When I got home, I ordered up a set. This is the story of the purchase and installation, which went about as smoothly as one could ask for...

Motivation:

I have an ARB 2500 Awning attached to my Gobi Stealth roof rack using three of the Gobi mount brackets. Gobi would only let me order the mount brackets in pairs, not the best policy in my judgement, so I gave the extra one away to a fellow Xman. But I digress. First of all the ARB mounting is on an extruded aluminum rail. The bolts are rather small M6 bolts and were a PIA to put on and off. As a result I left the awning in place after hassling with the install/removal a couple of times. This presents a problem: The awning is out in the sun all the time. Oh I don't have a garage, well that isn't true, I don't have a garage used for car storage

Solution:

Buying a set of Quick Fit Brackets from Smart Touring Systems out of Australia. Smart Touring Systems - Home. I went on their site and found this page: Quick Fit Brackets I thought the Tripple Mount Kit & Foxwing Adaptors to the closet fit to what I wanted.

@XKNUT warned me they would not ship to the US unless you contact them directly and the communication was terse. I sent Smart Touring Systems the following comment on 5/29.

They responded the next day with a PayPal invoice, which I dutifully paid:

I received the package on 6/6/2019. I thought this was really good turn around from the land down under.

Installation:

The kit was very nicely packaged and the product is well built.

The first challenge were the bolts provided for connecting to the awning. Smart Touring solutions provided M8 bolts and I needed M6. I had to go out and buy 6 bolts/washers/cap nuts for a full complement of the 12 required. For those of us in West LA finding a hardware store is like finding a gun store as most local hardware stores have closed! I guess nobody knows which end of the hammer is the business end... The good news is the awning is now attached with twice the number of bolts.

First I mounted the brackets to my Gobi awning mounts. @XKNUT had to weld up these mount points to his rack, but I had popped for the Gobi brackets... 4 of them... I only needed three... Not that I'm bitter or anything...

Installation was a simple matter of bolting on the slides to the rack brackets.

Next I attached the brackets to the awning using the old bolts and the new bolts. I cut off the excess bolt to ease mounting the awning to the rack. With the longer bolts, it is harder to get the awning lined up with the rack brackets. I don't need any more mounting hassle at my advanced age.

The only real PIA was the rack brackets didn't present a perfect mounting plane. This would not be a problem with two brackets. I added a couple of washers to the middle bracket to get the rack side to match up to the awning side. All in all it wasn't too much of a problem, but I was in the hot sun and working by myself with a long awkward awning. (Poor me... get over it!)

Any hoodle, it was great to have it done and now my awning is happily waiting in the shade for my next adventure, which is the Corral Hollow trip.
campisi, RikRong and VMBiohazard like this.

Hank
N6HWW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:18 PM
Veteran

Fantastic Hank!
Excellent write up as usual. They do manage to ship rather quickly and package everything very well.

I may order another set of brackets so that I can hang the awning on my garage wall when not in use.
nworker likes this.
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:59 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2005 Granite Xterra OR

That Xterra is exceptionally clean. What a nice build!
nworker likes this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Member's Xterra

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in