Sacramento Area - Page 4 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:56 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by applexterra View Post

Prairie City OHV looks like a good place to start. We might go there this Sat. I will do the rear axle vent mod, ordered the part from Nissan of Stockton this morning and the rep said it will be there tomorrow. Also, planning to change fluids for the weekend event.
The 4x4 area of Prairie City is closed this weekend due to a NORCAL Rock Racing event. I've been burned before by not checking their events page to make sure the area is open - Prairie City SVRA Events
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:32 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2013 Xterra 4x4

I saw an OHV park in Tracy Carnegie SVRA. Is this good for beginners? And not sure if they’re open on website a section of it is closed.

Also, there’s Hollister Hills SVRA anyone been there?

I just wanna find an off-roading back roads closer to me that’s for beginners or moderate.

Please share any road maps.

Thanks
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:55 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:12 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2013 Xterra 4x4

Nice job Chris! Thanks for the 411. I’ll definitely order some on Amazon.

You guys heard of Overland bound? Went to 4wheel parts store in Stockton earlier and rep Chris I think was his name, he noticed my ride had that metallic logo and he said oh your a member, I said no I thought that Nissan slap that on the X. He explained that it’s a community of people/families that rally’s around the country. Went there coz I told him I have 0 knowledge about off-roading and he went out to look at my X and he said, your set up bro! The kid you bought this from has already done a lot to it. No need to get a lift kit bcoz you ride already got it otherwise those 33” won’t work and they’ll be rubbing the fenders. He suggested to add more lights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6F35D472-2049-4B1D-A647-64E2EAEC723C_1556240994449.jpeg (3.91 MB, 12 views)
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:15 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

[QUOTE=applexterra;4287610]Nice job Chris! Thanks for the 411. Iíll definitely order some on Amazon.
QUOTE]

make sure you check their used books options.
usually alot cheaper
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:24 AM
Veteran

Another inexpensive, but very handy option are the NatGeo Topo maps ...

I have every one from just north of Plumas County to south of Rt 4 in Stanislaus County.
802 - 808 IIRC. There are more trails in the Sierras than you can even imagine.

I've been to Prairie City OHV ... it's a park ... with obstacles. I can be on a real trail in another hour of driving so that's what I prefer.

I've also been to Hollister Hills. There are many trails cut through the park, all rated (but may be missing sign posts) as well as several obstacle areas. It can also be full of yahoos. Drunk yahoos. At 10:00am. For me, I can be in the Sierras in half the time it takes to get to HH. However, for $10 you can go and try out your rig to test your capabilities to whatever extreme you feel comfortable with.

Quote:
Overland bound? .... He suggested to add more lights.
*snort* Don't get me wrong, those guys do have fun ... very controlled, pay to play environment. Excellent group to get your feet wet as they will coddle newbies along to ensure they learn. They do have monthly meetings around the area to discuss offroad topics although I've not yet attended.

Note to Self: seems there are quite a few new member from around my area ... I should put a Meet/Greet together soon.
bschiek likes this.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:32 PM
2013 Night Armor Xterra S

Garage
Hey Sac folks! I'm working on installing my Dual Batts and swapping out my Big 3 at my work's warehouse (more room/tools) on Saturday. There's a possibility that a buddy from work will be helping me, but he's not sure. If anyone wants to help or provide expertise/knowledge (and a second car for the home Depot runs) I would welcome the help!!

Because this all needs to get done in one day, I have not had a chance to measure out the area where's the new batteries will go, or figure out how to attach them. I did buy 2 steel battery boxes to hold them. Can provide more info in a message.

Message me! Bonus points if you have crimps for 0 gauge wire.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 12:40 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I have not had a chance to measure out the area where's the new batteries will go, or figure out how to attach them.
Ummm, this is not the kind of thing you want to do by the seat of your pants.
There are quite a number of really nice build threads with dual battery setups that will provide excellent guidance.
"Locally", ChrisHaynesUSA, GeoXplorer both have nice dual battery configurations.

Here's one for starters:
https://www.thenewx.org/forum/15-how...-hood-pbr.html

Google "dual batter" site:www.thenewx.org for plenty of others.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:30 PM

Garage
I have absolutely read all of those!! I'm not flying by the seat. 🙂 Chris Haynes had to specially modify a Kodiak setup and the GeoXplorer built custom trays from sheet metal. That all had to be done off the cuff once the batteries were out and they had a chance to place the box in and figure out where the mount points could go. There's no other way to do it. None of the builds I've seen have posted directions on how they specifically fabbed up their trays except GeoExplorer and he was using Optimas not Odysseys. Unfortunately I can see no other way to not have the battery out and determine where bolts will sit. If you have a suggestion for tackling that I would be VERY amenable. I like to do things clean and correct. I'm looking to spend however long it takes to get this done correctly. If it means taking the battery out temporarily, maybe that's what I'll have to do. But trust me, I've read through and looked an a number of different threads, I *kinda* know what I'm in for, though one can never be positive!
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:50 PM

Garage
Maybe your concern is about the trays? I have these steel trays/hold-downs. The batteries are Odyssey 1200s, which we know fit very nicely from Chris's setup. And I do at LEAST know that I have the clearance for the trays. The trays have a flat sheet bottom and optional tabs for connection points for bolting in. I just don't have precise locations for bolts. I have all the wire, and the solenoid/controller from National Luna.

I really do appreciate the input, and I would love to have some help and more knowledge, but there's only so much reading and planning I can do before I just have to get in there and do the damn thing. 🙂
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190422_163944_1556826009775.jpg (3.85 MB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190422_164455_01_1556826909236.jpg (2.71 MB, 6 views)

Last edited by Taylor Spaulding; 05-02-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Regions > Pacific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode