Sacramento Area - Page 3 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:24 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2013 Xterra 4x4

From Lodi here too and never done off roading. Can’t wait though. Anyone planning a group trail ride I’m down. But my rig is all stock at the moment. Just this past weekend friend of mine said Rubicon Trail is just 70-80 miles away. But by no means I’m ready for it.

Last edited by applexterra; 04-18-2019 at 02:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:16 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Xterra SE

Originally from Elk Grove/Sacramento, but now in Montana where I can wheel anytime I want and don't have to deal with people or traffic!
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:24 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHurst View Post
Originally from Elk Grove/Sacramento, but now in Montana where I can wheel anytime I want and don't have to deal with people or traffic!

I dont think they call it wheelin up there.
I think it is just called drivin......
KenHurst likes this.

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:17 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2013 Xterra 4x4

Other than Rubicon trail does anyone know any trails along Hwy 88 or 89 for beginners? I wanna take my son for a spin in the backroads. Thanks
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:45 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Xterra S

Garage
I highly recommend the Prairie City OHV Park - Prairie City SVRA , especially for beginners. It has several "trails" and obstacle areas where you can really get to know your vehicle and hone your skills. It's only $5 per vehicle to enter. It's my go-to place when I have just a couple of hours but need to scratch the "need to get off road" itch.

In fact, my buddy and I are talking of going there this Saturday morning. In the 2+ years I have yet to see another Xterra out there.... sad!
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschiek View Post
I highly recommend the Prairie City OHV Park - Prairie City SVRA , especially for beginners. It has several "trails" and obstacle areas where you can really get to know your vehicle and hone your skills. It's only $5 per vehicle to enter. It's my go-to place when I have just a couple of hours but need to scratch the "need to get off road" itch.

In fact, my buddy and I are talking of going there this Saturday morning. In the 2+ years I have yet to see another Xterra out there.... sad!
Thats because we go to Coral hollow trail, death valley trail, black rock desert trail, lummy bridge trail, Bhodie trail, etc.....

Why go to an offroad park when you have three states worth of trails at your doorstep?
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:04 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by applexterra View Post
Other than Rubicon trail does anyone know any trails along Hwy 88 or 89 for beginners? I wanna take my son for a spin in the backroads. Thanks

Mountain Highways

Mountain Pass Closures

we are all waiting on the snow melt this year from a record winter snowfall.
it will probably be later in the year. Check the links provided for historic close/opening dates.

This give you plenty of time to take the mudflaps off, put rock sliders on and maybe even belly armor.

PS Dont forget to get your ham qual at hamexam.org so when you go out you can communicate.

CB at the very least.

all while researching thenewx.org post for trails we normally take when the snow has melted.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:27 AM
2013 Night Armor Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bschiek View Post

As much as I'd love to run a real trail, I'm not sure of the limits of my abilities and the Xterra is new to me, so I'm still learning it. My friend (w/ a 4runner) and were thinking of doing Prairie City in the coming month(s) to get acquainted with the vehicles! It would be cool to meet others out there.

Last edited by Taylor Spaulding; 04-20-2019 at 09:29 AM.
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:53 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2013 Xterra 4x4

I called PRG and talked to Greg. He'll sell me a 2-3" lift kit installed for under $500 out the door after I told him what I intend to do. He said, this will at least give me decent ground clearance.

As for trails, I don't plan to hit Rubicon Trail or such as this X is my daily driver. I just wanna be able to drive over some trail where I don't have to worry about climbing 1-3 foot rocks. I'm more for spending time with my son and he will have this X in 2 years.

Prairie City OHV looks like a good place to start. We might go there this Sat. I will do the rear axle vent mod, ordered the part from Nissan of Stockton this morning and the rep said it will be there tomorrow. Also, planning to change fluids for the weekend event.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 12:42 AM
2013 Night Armor Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by applexterra View Post
I called PRG and talked to Greg. He'll sell me a 2-3" lift kit installed for under $500 out the door after I told him what I intend to do. He said, this will at least give me decent ground clearance.

As for trails, I don't plan to hit Rubicon Trail or such as this X is my daily driver. I just wanna be able to drive over some trail where I don't have to worry about climbing 1-3 foot rocks. I'm more for spending time with my son and he will have this X in 2 years.

Prairie City OHV looks like a good place to start. We might go there this Sat. I will do the rear axle vent mod, ordered the part from Nissan of Stockton this morning and the rep said it will be there tomorrow. Also, planning to change fluids for the weekend event.
Hey, I think Bruce @bschiek and I might be hitting up PCOHV weekend of May 11th. You should join. I'm like you, my X is made for overlanding and daily driving, not for rock crawling.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Regions > Pacific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode