Moving to NorCal - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 01:00 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

Did he mention he is a veterinarian? and a veteran?

He gives good advice for a Marine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Veteran
2015 Lava Red Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetxSquared View Post
Future welcome to the area - we like to joke that there isn't alot going on here - but we're two hours from Tahoe and San Francisco. :-) ................ I would just never live in Yolo Cty.
Great advice man, really appreciate it. Rocklin, Roseville, and Granite Bay area are likely to be the winners in this race, but it will really depend on the GF's job situation. She really hates driving, and I honestly don't mind it. So, i'll likely have a longer commute to make her happy. I'll look into the crime heatmaps and the sheriff's office stuff for shady areas. I imagine it's just like any other city. You'll know very quickly where not to live driving through.

I'll look into the Bravecto next time we go to the vet. She's already on heartworm meds, so adding another one shouldn't be a big deal.

I'm getting pretty psyched for the new adventure! I'll definitely take you up on the offer for the PMs and maybe a beer once I get out there.
RikRong likes this.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 02:38 AM
2010 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

Garage
Sounds good and safe travels.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Beer is good. Beers are better.

Semper Fi,
VetxSquared

Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things. - Robert Heinlein

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 11:44 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Xterra S

Garage
Welcome to NorCal!

While my family and I love living in Elk Grove, I wouldn't recommend it due to your commute....wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!

Great area for off-roading. You should also check out Prairie City SVRA. While small, for $5 bucks it helps scratch the off-roading itch when you only have a couple of hours to spare - Recreation Areas and Facilities
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:25 PM
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
I was stationed at Travis AFB two years ago and I can tell you the guys off of this site that you'll go wheeling with in NorCal are top notch. Good peeps and very welcoming. Enjoy your tour.
traxtar3 likes this.

2012 Xterra Pro-4X
Locked, Armored & Bumpered
PRG UCAs & Radflos
ALCAN Rear Springs w/U-bolt Flip Kit & ARB Diff Cover
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 11:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2007 Night Armor ❌terra Offroad 6MT

I went to middle school and high school while living in Granite Bay, and then I lived in Rocklin for a few years after that before moving out to Nashville, TN. Love that area of NorCal. We spent time in the Bay Area and up in Lake Tahoe quite a bit too. Tahoe is my favorite.

The summers are hot but it's dry heat and TBH it didn't really bother me. Camping, fishing, mountain biking, and wheeling are excellent in NorCal. I don't think you'll have a problem walking your dog the way you described. Hope you enjoy it there. I sure miss it sometimes.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 12:46 PM
jvr
2006 Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHaynesUSA View Post
Google "Elk Grove" then ask for directions to Beale AFB.

63 miles up the I5, highways 99 & 70 at 1 hour 15 minutes (no traffic) and also notice that it goes right through the center of Sacramento(think rush hour).

Literally a commute from one side of town to the other.

stay away from Elk Grove as much as you can

If you are not first you are last
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Veteran
2015 Lava Red Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
After a 1400 mile road trip, I made it to NorCal!
Currently staying in lodging on Beale AFB and looking for an apartment. Pretty much settled on either Roseville or Rocklin.
In the event Liz (the GF) gets a job in central Sacramento, it's a 30-45 min commute for each of us. She isn't a big fan of driving, so I'm hoping she will find something in the north east side of Sacramento. I really liked Grass Valley, but there's not much for Liz to do there career wise.
Now, to find her a job

She's been a supervisor in the financial sector (Bank Branch Manager, Loan Processing Team supervisor, and recently (past 2 years) Supervisor in Charge of HR & Compensation, all for the same regional bank (First Bank). Shouldn't be an issue, but will just take some time to find the right company to work for. Definitly more geared to the corporate world.

Thanks to all of you for the advice! Once I'm settled, i'll start looking up meet & greets for NorCal Xterra clubs. I'm looking forward to meeting you guys!
Also, thanks @VetxSquared, we got Lola on Bravecto. Highly recommended by our Colorado Vet.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 09:07 AM
Veteran
2015 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
I'm scheduled to be up there for a few weeks in May, maybe. If I drive the X, we should get out into the hills.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

R. Long
Build Thread-->

SoCal Club Xterra -->
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 08:26 PM
Veteran
2013 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxtar3 View Post
I really liked Grass Valley, but there's not much for Liz to do there career wise.
Grass Valley is a nice area. Amazing how it's grown and gotten more expensive in the last 15 years. After the snow melts, you might want to check out the Sierra Buttes fire lookout hike for something unique to do. It's off the 49.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Regions > Pacific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode