Black Rock Desert and THE FORBIDDEN ZONE (Alvord Desert) April, 2018 PICTURES!!!!!!!! - Page 14 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #131 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 10:40 PM

Damn guys sorry I had to bail. Have fun!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 12:10 AM
Veteran
2006 Xterra X

Beings that I was the only Oregonian from TNX to venture into the so-called ‘Forbidden Zone’, I didn’t join the main group at Gerlach or Soldiers Meadow and met them at Willow Creek Hot Springs on Saturday.

I left Friday AM with a friend and headed out to Cowboy Dinner Tree which is known for serving a cowboys dinner.

We found a spot along a river to camp. It was only 5 minutes from where we ate which was awesome because after that meal, we weren’t going far.

We had some amazing sights along the way…

Might as well take in the beautiful scenery when nature calls

Made it a multi state trip

We found some local wildlife and @VetxSquared was kind enough to explain the difference between venomous and non-venomous species

The sun was pretty strong and we all resorted to various methods of sun protection, but @XKNUT had it dialed in.

@nworker grilled up some rack of lamb and it was amazing. If you go on a TNX trip, make sure you go to one where he is going to cook a meal

Here is a shot of the tubs. If you go with @ChrisHaynesUSA, make sure you shield your eyes. As @nworker said, it’s a bell that can’t be unrung.

On the way home, we almost ran into cows. Literally.

Total trip mileage (No where close to the CA guys):

In closing it was a great trip and it was great to meet some individuals from the forum! Hope to do it again soon. Nice planning Mr. Haynes!
AlbatrossCafe and BowHunTerra like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #133 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 12:45 PM
Veteran

Our trip started with @mistachael, @ChrisHaynesUSA, @nworker and @LNXPenguin meeting me locally ... we then drove highways to Fernley to gas up the extra cans, onward to Gerlach for final fill then off to Soldier Meadows ... Calico Mountains in background.

At the turn off to Soldier Meadows we stopped to check an engine code Mr. Haynes had. While there, a pickup pulls in and makes sure we are ok. They ask if we know where Wagner Springs are and as we've been there before confirm that we do, they then offer assistance if we ever need it at their homestead there. Drop by for anything they say. Excellent!

Arrive at Soldier Meadows campground, complete with cabin.
Weather was brisk with the wind blowing, but still 20+° warmer than last year.

However, despite the warmer weather, we still had a layer of snow.

@VetxSquared and @TurtleX joined us the next day through a different route ... having HAM radios allowed us to contact them as they approached from afar.
@LNXPenquin prepared his most delicious Tri-tip and a night of festivities and general merrymaking followed.

Following morning @nworker prepared Dutch Oven Mountain Man breakfast.

A workout with The SilkyBoy Katana 650...

CHUSA 'Merica!

2005 Grey OR MT
Radflo Coilovers, 750# Eibach Springs. Deaver AAl w/Bilstein 5125s.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by XKNUT; 04-24-2018 at 12:37 AM.

post #134 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 12:47 PM
Veteran

As the Friday destination was open, a route was chosen that brought us by a couple more hot springs.
Radio discussion revealed that a nearby town had great hamburgers and milkshakes. However, we opted to stop at Faucet Hot Springs for lunch and have a mid afternoon milkshake.
CHUSA checking the temperature prior to immersion.

The hot spring flows downhill and out onto the Playa.

Onward from the hot springs brought us through some beautiful country where we enjoyed seeing several wild deer and horse herds.

Arrival at Fields Station for the best milkshake I've ever had in my life.
Relaxing on the porch with our milkshakes, we all enjoyed animal trivia with the proprietor's daughter.

We were advised at Fields Station that for a group of our size, if we wanted a campsite for Saturday night that we should go ahead and get there Friday night.
So more desert scenery to enjoy on the way.

The house that tried to kill me*

*word of caution ... do not take pictures with your cellphone while driving as you might drive off the gravelly road sideways and scare the vehicle behind you.
BowHunTerra likes this.

2005 Grey OR MT

post #135 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 01:03 PM
Veteran

Willow Creek Hot Springs.

Willow creek was highly populated with all manner of duck, geese and other waterfowl.
But the approach was very thick and difficult to get close to shore.

Night time brought clear skies and hopes of viewing the Lyrid Meteor Showers.

Saturday while half the group took another hot spring soak, VetXSquared, Mistachael and I did some fossil hunting at a nearby chalk outcropping.

We took the scenic route back and found a hillside covered in obsidian and other interesting rock formations.
If only we had a geologist along with us.

Once back in camp, VetXSquared showed us how to handle a visitor as we awaited the arrival of @Beavertonite.
AlbatrossCafe and BowHunTerra like this.

2005 Grey OR MT

post #136 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

This code appeared Wed 18th, Thurs 19th & Fri 20(420)..... cleared each time and appeared again. After Friday shutdown and clear of code it never appeared again on 488 mile drive home on 4/22. I suspect some clever code writer is having a good laugh.

Anyone else see this code over the last week?

post #137 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 01:15 PM
Veteran

@Beavertonite and his buddy show up and a great afternoon and evening of storytelling and over consumption began.

The trip out on Sunday we passed through a couple of beautiful high desert valleys each with it's own interesting scenery.

5 days of travel with multiple opening/closing per day and my Ozark Trail cooler retained slightly over half it's 20# load of ice.
I did start with 4 gallon jugs frozen water as "block ice". I continue to be impressed with this cooler.

2005 Grey OR MT

post #138 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 01:23 PM
Veteran

As always I am extremely grateful to ChrisHaynesUSA for putting this together and leading this group.

It is a great pleasure to make new friends and strengthen bonds with older acquaintances.
I feel eternally blessed to be able to share these experiences with y'all.
Looking forward to next time we meet.

2005 Grey OR MT

post #139 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

This was the trip from the bay area CA.

BowHunTerra likes this.

post #140 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 08:21 PM
Desert Explorer
2015 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

Picture Travel Log: Black Rock and Willow Creek

Total Mileage: Over 1400 miles!

Day 1 Los Angeles to Bridgeport

Day 2 Bridgeport to Soldier Meadow Cabin

Day 3 Soldier Meadow Cabin

Day 4 Soldier Meadow Cabin to Willow Creek Hot Springs

Day 5 Willow Creek Hot Springs

Day 6 Willow Creek Hot Springs to Big Pine

Hank
N6HWW

Last edited by nworker; 04-24-2018 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Added Pictures

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Regions > Pacific

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode