Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) - View Single Post - 1st Timer excited to Join the Active Community
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:09 AM
General_Tarfun
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
Welcome! That's a fine year of X you have there, low miles for the year too.

The three things that matter most for keeping your X among the living are the radiator (replace to prevent potential fluid mixing from an early model defect, aka SMOD), I replaced mine at 114k. The timing chains will let you know gradually that they need attention, the noise starts off as a light supercharger-like noise that you hear sometimes and eventually will be loud and present all of the time except at idle. Any dealer can confirm it for you, by now they've probably done hundreds of these repairs. The dealer my brother worked at said they did the timing repairs every single day with a new truck. The third thing is the catalytic convertors. They are placed VERY close to the exhaust valves, they might as well be part of the headers with how close they are, if the cats fail and the ceramic breaks up the VVT (emissions speak for the engine pulls a bit of the exhaust back in on every stroke) the dust gets pulled in and usually destroys the rearmost cylinder piston rings. It's happened to a few people on here and they usually have to swap a new engine in.

Other than that it's all general maintenance, plugs are due at 100k, also we don't have 'wires' per say, we have coil packs. I'm not sure why they recommend replacing them all without having a current problem, I'm still running the originals at 163k, I just keep a spare in the cargo in case I have trouble out on the trails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome