Golden Road - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Noobie

Garage
Golden Road

Good evening. Any one here with experience on the golden road? is it worth it? Located outside Rochester, NH and debating a fall excursion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 11:09 PM
New England Regional Moderator
2011 Night Armor ❌terra New Hotness (Pro 4X)

Only Golden Rd I know is in Maine

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďIn every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks.Ē John Muir
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 10:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2009 Avalanche White ❌terra OR

Disclaimer: it was way back in the 80's when I went there. I have no idea about current road conditions.

Seeing a half-million pounds of logging truck rolling down on you is worth experiencing. It's a private road and they always have the right of way.

For others that have never heard of it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Road_(Maine)
And I found this with decent pictures:
https://thevelvetrocket.com/2011/11/...road-of-maine/

The start of the road is about 250 miles from Portsmouth NH. Not something I'd try as a day trip. Good place to have a mobile ham rig, CB isn't going to get you out of trouble if you go exploring any side roads. I'd be interested to read your trip report if you go.
Dyno992 likes this.

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 12:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2014 Brilliant Silver ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29erClan View Post
Disclaimer: it was way back in the 80's when I went there. I have no idea about current road conditions.

Seeing a half-million pounds of logging truck rolling down on you is worth experiencing. It's a private road and they always have the right of way.

For others that have never heard of it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Road_(Maine)
And I found this with decent pictures:
https://thevelvetrocket.com/2011/11/...road-of-maine/

The start of the road is about 250 miles from Portsmouth NH. Not something I'd try as a day trip. Good place to have a mobile ham rig, CB isn't going to get you out of trouble if you go exploring any side roads. I'd be interested to read your trip report if you go.
I started looking at those when he mentioned it in a different thread. I must admit I like this. I'm also interested in seeing how it goes.

When were you thinking of going?

Zombie Hunter: 2014 Silver Xterra S -

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." -Alexander the Great
Overland Bound #13805; Tread Lightly! Member

Last edited by Kilo Sierra; 09-16-2018 at 12:46 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 06:02 AM

I’ve been on the Golden Road at least a dozen times. I’ll be back up in that area in Nov. on a five day trip.

What more do you want to know about Northern Maine?

Click Here for >

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 08:30 AM
2012 Brilliant Silver Xterra S 4x4 5AT

Garage
I've been up to the Golden Rd a few times to camp and one time for a Moose hunt. One of my Dad's friends has a camp up there. Beautiful area

2012 Nissan Xterra S 4x4 5AT ★ Brilliant Silver ★
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Noobie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
I’ve been on the Golden Road at least a dozen times. I’ll be back up in that area in Nov. on a five day trip.

What more do you want to know about Northern Maine?
Apologize about the delay in response. I have just heard mixed reviews about it. Being a half day drive I am hesitant if it really is simply a dirt road lined with tourists. Minimal videos online dont help either. Looking for first opportunity to simply spend a few days camping and exploring and some initial overlanding. Are simple things like camp fires going to get one evicted? Ripper, noticed your from Agawam. I used to shoot for Guns and Gear.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 12:19 AM

We’ve prob met, I used to shoot with/for and work for them.

As for the Golden Rd. It’s honestly just a tree lined dirt road. It’s nothing spectacular. What are you using for Nav? I have a fun little (it’s not little) loop that I’ve run several times I can PM you if you’re running GAIA on a tablet.

Click Here for >

Last edited by Ripper; 10-19-2018 at 12:22 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2014 Brilliant Silver ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Weíve prob met, I used to shoot with/for and work for them.

As for the Golden Rd. Itís honestly just a tree lined dirt road. Itís nothing spectacular. What are you using for Nav? I have a fun little (itís not little) loop that Iíve run several times I can PM you if youíre running GAIA on a tablet.
Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about doing it as well. I'm still probably going to do it just for the experience but I'll probably just make it a weekend run.

I'd be interested in that loop as well, although I need to get a GPS tablet set up. Do you prefer GAIA to all the other Apps or is there something compatible with it that might be better? Any suggestions on a good tablet to run it?

Zombie Hunter: 2014 Silver Xterra S -

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." -Alexander the Great
Overland Bound #13805; Tread Lightly! Member
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Noobie

Garage
I dont have a nav system. Was just going to hope for the best with google earth and keeping in mind the way in is the way ill have to take out. Are there any particular areas or points of interest? I'm hoping to find a place out of the way to spend a few nights and maybe light shooting.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Regions > New England

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode