Denver Owners - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Veteran
2006 Night Armor Xterra OR

Garage
Denver Owners

Hey Denverites... No. Denverinos? Denverians?

Anyway, I'm headed your way later this month to pick up @RobertJordan's roof rack and delivering my @maXTERRA roof tray to @envader.

I'm driving in from Salt Lake on the 27th and plan to return on Monday the 29th. I was hoping to meet some other owners, and possibly ask for some help. It would be much easier for me to get the rack home if I could just install it for the drive. Problem is, I've never been into that part of the X before and this is one of those jobs that will require at least one other person to do without damaging anything. I really don't want to get my X half way apart before figuring out I can't do it alone and then trying to get back to work in Salt Lake on Tuesday.

Would anyone be willing to lend an hand (and maybe a driveway) to help with this install? If not, I can faber-cobble someway of strapping it to the OEM bars, but I'd much rather meet some cool people and get the job done in the process.

Nulla tenaci invia est via.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:15 AM
2015 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

I would be willing to lend a hand and have the necessary driveway space to work in. The only issue is I am in Conifer, which is about 40 minutes west of Denver. We can get snow up here well into May so weather could potentially play a factor. I did my frontrunner rack last summer solo, luckily I had only two spun rivnuts and managed to get them out without dropping the headliner. I also had to dremmel around one of my roof basket bolts to remove it. I would recommend checking your rivnut situation as well as the roof basket bolts before you come to Denver to see what kind of time frame you are looking at for the install. Seems to be a 50/50 chance you have to drop the headliner
Blind_Io likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:12 AM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra S - Tonka

If you are on FB, look up the NORAC group and make contact with them. There are a lot of good people there that would probably lend a hand.

No matter where you go, there you are.
I never get lost, I have adventures.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanGREENnugget View Post
I would be willing to lend a hand and have the necessary driveway space to work in. The only issue is I am in Conifer, which is about 40 minutes west of Denver. We can get snow up here well into May so weather could potentially play a factor. I did my frontrunner rack last summer solo, luckily I had only two spun rivnuts and managed to get them out without dropping the headliner. I also had to dremmel around one of my roof basket bolts to remove it. I would recommend checking your rivnut situation as well as the roof basket bolts before you come to Denver to see what kind of time frame you are looking at for the install. Seems to be a 50/50 chance you have to drop the headliner
I will take a look this weekend and see how it looks. If my X is going to keep up her current temperament, I will probably have to drop the headliner. Thanks for the helpful offer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunnie View Post
If you are on FB, look up the NORAC group and make contact with them. There are a lot of good people there that would probably lend a hand.
Unfortunately I'm not on FB.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:21 PM

I would also recommend avoiding the torq bit screwdriver that comes with the Xterra and get a 1/4 drive #30 torq socket bit. They sell them at Home Depot. You have considerably more control that way.
Blind_Io likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
I hadn't thought of that; I have a set of torx sockets and I will throw them in with my regular tools before heading out.

I hope to do a day this weekend working on the X, my blower motor sounds like a dying squirrel so that needs to be replaced before I end up stabbing myself in the ears.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Veteran

Maybe you'll get lucky, but I think it's unlikely you'll be able to remove all of the rivnuts without spinning some of them on an '06. I have only had to tighten up one of the rack feet on mine, but I had to drop the corner of the headliner a bit to get at the underside of the roof.

If it were me I'd remove the stock rack at home so I wouldn't have to worry about it there. Securely strap down the maxgear rack inside, enjoy the trip over there, and have an easy bolt on install of the new rack.
Blind_Io, mtnbound and caain like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Will the roof leak without the rack on? We've been getting a ton of rain here.

EDIT: Just realized that without the OEM rack, I have to install where I pick up or get help moving it.

Last edited by Blind_Io; 04-11-2019 at 02:47 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:17 PM

Yes the rack will leak into your interior without the bolts in place. However, I had my rack off for 2 days with duct tape on blue painters tape over the holes while it rained, and nothing leaked in. Driving across Colorado in April you will see moisture, but tape would probably get you to Denver dry. If you did come with the rack off the install should be very quick and straightforward. Most likely less then an hour. I could meet you in Denver to do the install if necessary. It could be strapped to my front runner rack if we need to move somewhere to do the install.
Blind_Io likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
I owe you beer.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Regions > Mountain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in