Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) - View Single Post - Drop-in Basket Concept
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Hawk136439
2012 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Drop-in Basket Concept

So I'm thinking about building a drop in basket of my own and thought I would bounce the design off some of you guys before I pull the trigger and order the steel. The entire thing will be made out of 2"x2"x1/8" angle iron and 1"x1/8" flat bar with an expanded metal floor. I wanted to make it as deep as possible so things aren't sticking too high up when its loaded and the plan is for it to sit on only the bars of the roofrack and not the end mount plastics. I was thinking if it is between raised plastic parts of the roof rack I could weld some low-prow unistrut on it that extends from the front of the wetbox to the very back of the rack. I'm hoping to use exhaust clamps and carriage bolts to mount it and keep a smooth looking top without drilling into the factory rack but I might just end up drilling instead.

My main questions are as follows:

1) Do I have the right dimensions? Yesterday I measured right around 32" between the bars but saw 31" mentioned in other custom basket threads. Likewise I measured 3.75" from roof to top of factory bar but haven't seen it mentioned in other threads.

2) Do you think it will hold together? The heaviest thing I will ever throw up there is a small Honda generator (~30lbs?) or a couple 5 gallon gas cans.

3) Any improvements to add to the design before I start building?

Here are some pictures of my design and an attached drawing pdf as well:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf basket.pdf (30.7 KB, 12 views)

2012 Metalic Blue PRO-4X<-- Mine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2011 Black PRO-4X <-- Hers
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 <-- Mine

Last edited by Hawk136439; 11-02-2017 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Fixing photo links

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome