Flag Pole/Reddish Knob May 4&5 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vizard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
2005 Night Armor Xterra SE 4x4 5AT

Garage
Flag Pole/Reddish Knob May 4&5

I'm not the host just forwarding the information in case anyone else wants to go; I haven't been there and sounds like fun.

Host is Nick Ryan from CAMO, for up to date info join the Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/3595...f=group_header

Day 1 Google Maps
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...378945309&z=11

May 4 & 5
"I will be staying in the Microtel on Pleasant Valley Rd In Harrisonburg Friday night.

At 0700 May 4th, we will meet/rally at the Exxon Across the Street, fill up, and head out at 0730.
Plan to eat lunch on the go/at a break area. We will continue through until camp. At camp, depending on vehicle number, we can either set up in a big pine circle or atop a large flat a few hundred yards away. Please don't cut any trees, rip donuts, etc.

Day 2 we will follow the same pattern and "break up" depending on where you live after Cass.

I suggest you bring gas. 5 gallons is plenty. Shouldn't need it, but you never know if a station is closed.

If you dont have a CB, get one ordered. Amazon has cheap kits."

Day 2
And day 2 Complete! A little shorter. Got permission to park on the north face of bald knob and walk to the lookout which is huge.
The last section headed to Seneca rocks is optional (well it's all optional) but I'll be headed out that way with the PA guys."

Exxon Gas Station meetup 7am-7:30am May 4th
3240 S Main St, Harrisonburg, VA 22801
Wanderlost likes this.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Vizard; 04-19-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:47 AM
2011 Metallic Green ❌terra S

Garage
I kept a watch on that. I wanted to go. Unfortunately, what happens to me every time...have to fly out on Sunday for work.

73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlost View Post
I kept a watch on that. I wanted to go. Unfortunately, what happens to me every time...have to fly out on Sunday for work.
Hope to see you on the next event!

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update:
"Forest Service to Temporarily Close Flagpole Road (FS 85A) for Road Repair Beginning April 22, 2019"

Source: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...BuI4pt0cDiOiLk

We're going to go around that trail through meadow knob and brandywine refuel and continue

Click Here for >

Last edited by Vizard; 04-11-2019 at 10:20 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
14 rigs signed up so far! join us! updated the first post with updated map since flagpole knob route will be closed for maintenance.

update*
16 rigs signed up now!

Click Here for >

Last edited by Vizard; 04-25-2019 at 08:05 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Bump!
( I can't freaking wait to go!)

CAMO Trip Guide (provided by event host from CAMO)
If there is anything on this list that you have questions about, or do not have, please do not hesitate to PM me (Nick) and Iím sure someone has a spare to get you out into the woods.

Important items to note:
1. This is not King of Hammers offroad, donít get frustrated or upset if you didnít get to engage your ARB air lockers and smash the skinny pedal in 4L while your 4link is flexed out.
2. This is not a scenic highway drive, donít get frustrated if your Chai Latte spills in your airconditioned cup holder.
3. Iím kind of an idiot. If the route busts or there is a road closure, please donít throw rocks at me. We will make it work.
4. A lot of ďOrganizationsĒ charge money to attend these rides. I think thatís BS. Their reasoning is to keep riff raff outÖPlease donít prove those people right.
5. I donít care if youíre in a brand new Land Cruiser (donít even know if they make new ones) or a Nissan hardbody with holes in the floor. Be respectful of one another.
6. You will be camping in the middle of the woods. There are bears. Bears like food. Donít leave food for bears. Bears want more food when they find food. You are food. Donít be bear food.
7. This isnít just a trip for ďDad.Ē I do my best to incorporate a little bit of history and POIs that people may not know exist. Bring the family!
8. You more than likely are going to get minor pinstriping. Wear that pinstriping with honor. Remember. We overland because hiking is for skinny people.
9. No FEDERALLY illegal drugs, please. I know how exciting an LSD trip through the tight trees behind the wheel of a 5k pound rig would be, but youíre going to have to leave that for another time.
10. Raise Hell, Chase Tail, Praise Dale #3

ē Vehicle Equipment o At least ONE anchor point (preferably one front and one rear) o CB Radio o Spare tire o Spare fuel (Shouldnít need it, but who knows)
o Spare common failure parts for your vehicle o Assorted tools and any specialty tools you may need for your vehicle o MUST HAVE a garbage bag for trash and trail trash o Recovery Rigging (Not required if you donít already have it. Enough of us will) ē Food and water o Plan for lunch on the trail (even though day 2 we plan to eat in Cass)
o Plan for emergencies: A few nonperishable items to keep you fed just in case o Admittedly, Iíve never experienced 16+ rigs and X amount of people for dinner and camping so, I imagine grilling and cooking will be one massive commune.
o ***Breakfast*** As much as I like a big ol breakfast, please try to keep the 4 course scottle meal and tripod cast iron casserole meals to a null. Everyone will want to get up, eat, and get going. Thereís no need to rush, but we also donít want to burn daylight.
o Remember the 8x8 rule for water x amount of people in your rig. (8 8oz/day)
ē Camping
o Tent, Hammock
o Sleeping Bag
o Sleeping Pad/air mattress (I wonít judge)
o Pillow (Everyone forgets a pillow)
o Tarp (Set your tent on it)
o Firewood (Can not be transported into West Virginia if the originating state has the Ash Borer. Please check local listings.) With that said. I am not a Ranger.
o Your Clothes
o Something to sit on
o Toiletries ▪ Toilet Paper ▪ Cleaning wipes ▪ Tooth Brush ▪ Tooth Paste ▪ DeodorantÖ
Please o BUG SPRAY
o BUG SPRAY AGAIN
ē Electronics o Phone Charger o Camera/Drone o Gopro o Extra batteries
ē First Aid o I strongly suggest everyone create a kit and carry it every day and everywhere you go. If you do not have one, itís a great, cheap investment that could save someoneís day, or life. I have a ďfullĒ trauma kit with suture kit. I suck at suturing. Please donít make me do it. Youíll probably die of infection. There are a ton of podcasts that cover a good EDC kit. Iím a personal fan of ďThe Casual Prepper PodcastĒ for good medical tips.
ē MEDICAL EMERGENCIES o PLEASE disclose to me any serious known medical condition. **I am NOT A DOCTOR, nor am I legally able to provide professional care in any way shape or form.** However, I am versed in emergency response and first aid. My wife is an RN (unfortunately wonít be making the May trip.) If I/We know what to look for, we can help you, call for help, or provide you with whatever care you may need.

ē Breakdowns:
o No man left behind. Period. I donít care if 500 rigs join CAMO and commit to driving. We arenít leaving someone who needs help. Be patient. It could be you.
o **If a mechanical failure results in complete immobilization, we will assist you until you can make arrangements to get your rig hauled out of the woods, then continue on**
ē Leave no trace:
o Stay on existing trails, markings, or throughways.
ē Littering o Just donít.
o Must bring garbage bag

Click Here for >

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Regions > South Atlantic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode