TOTM Format Change Brainstorming.... - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member
2008 Desert Stone Xterra SE 4x4

Garage
TOTM Format Change Brainstorming....

Voted already... Wish you all the best.

As a side note, I recommend adding some specific rules like the proportion of the image (for example 3x2, or 5x4, or 16x9) and a minimum of resolution like 720 for the short edge, or 1024 for the long edge, or so on.
It can be also a monthly subject, like Water crossing, Mud pit, Flex, Front end, Rear End, Rear 3-quarter, Rock Garden, 3-wheeler, Xterra and night sky, .... and lots more.

This can be applied to next calendar year, with some pre-determined monthly subjects and no restriction of one-time winner per year. On the other hand, the hardcopy calendar will have the best 3 trucks of each month on the page, instead of random picks of the winner truck. So, people get ready months ago, and it becomes more involving and more exciting.

Anyhow, I believe with some minor changes, we can add enough spice to it.
VMBiohazard and Chase5Hart like this.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Veteran
2011 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasarno View Post
As a side note, I recommend adding some specific rules like the proportion of the image (for example 3x2, or 5x4, or 16x9) and a minimum of resolution like 720 for the short edge, or 1024 for the long edge, or so on.
It can be also a monthly subject, like Water crossing, Mud pit, Flex, Front end, Rear End, Rear 3-quarter, Rock Garden, 3-wheeler, Xterra and night sky, .... and lots more.
Agree 100% on photo integrity. It takes good photos to make a good calendar and while the majority of photos here are good, there has to be a set of rules to make them calendar worthy. A minimum resolution and demand the proper orientation at least. (NO Portrait shots, only Landscape.)

Monthly theme, not so much, I could care less.

Not to be a downer because I do like what you all are trying to do with the calendar but I participated one year, voted every month, even submitted some of mine, and bought a calendar, then when I seen it decided not to anymore because of some of the points above.

Not that Surf didn't do an outstanding job with what he was given, he did, but I voted for photos all year then got a calendar with multiple photos on the months page and only one of which was actually voted for because of it's merit as an image.

Frankly while some of you are good photographers a lot of the time, some of you are blind squirrels and get a good shot once in a while but that doesn't mean a pick 5 of your shots looks good on a calendar. You should get that one photo proudly shown because it turned out good and the rest of your cell phone pics should stay in your phone.

When this becomes a calendar shot contest where the focus is on good photography featuring Xterra's, I'm in. The whole "Truck of the Month" might be fine for a home page feature, but I want good photos on my wall and could care less about a collage of shots showing off your trucks farkle.
jsexton and VMBiohazard like this.

2011 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X - 6 MT
Check out my:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:28 PM
New England Regional Moderator
2011 Night Armor ❌terra Pro-4X [New Hotness]

While this all sounds great, it would be the same people over and over again, we’ll even more so in that case.

It would severely limit those who are able to win. Granted there are a lot of terribly composed, under exposed run of the mill images submitted. A lot of them have been mine. But fairly often there are some great photos submitted that wouldn’t meet those standards. While I don’t always remember to vote, I love seeing the images posted as, I get to see people out there using their X in the best way the can.

Many people post images they know aren’t going to win, just because it gives them a chance to show off the work they’ve put into their X, in once central highly trafficked thread. I know that’s what I did for many years, well, I still do sometimes.

While Im not saying we can’t to this, it needs to be a separate thread and contest. While I’m not one of those fairness and equality guys, not by a long shot. It’s just the right way to do it, if you want to change the parameters.

Click Here for >

“In every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks.” John Muir

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

^^ I recant my earlier support statement after reading these. We had 6 entries this month. If there was a theme, we might have 2. Not a big enough community for such a thing.
mtnbound likes this.

Build Page -

Trip Photos Page -

"Mods first - life later."
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 05:30 PM
Some random dude
2006 Solar Yellow ❌terra Off Road 6MT

Garage
I wonder if we could combine these ideas. Keep what we have going for the month, but also maybe do a themed collage for the calendar cover (ie: 1 water crossing, 1 snow, 1 desert, 1 extreme climb, etc all rotated and overlayed), instead of the TOTY (or whatever it currently is). So the themed poll would happen on a yearly basis.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 04:04 PM
Veteran
2013 Super Black Xterra X w/Mods

Garage
...I do like it when the photo matches up with the season... on the calendar...
zach_attack likes this.

OohRah!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScurvyX View Post
...I do like it when the photo matches up with the season... on the calendar...
Very cool idea!

Click Here for >
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2012 Lava Red ❌terra S

Garage
current format is fine and a high quality photo should be the only requirement. Unless someone's using a motorola razor, even every phone now days takes a high res image. I don't think i've ever seen a portrait photo posted in the contest ever.
@AlbatrossCafe I"ve gotten the 0 vote achievement many times. Swap that cat for a dog.
AlbatrossCafe likes this.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:06 AM
2011 Super Black Xterra S Urban Commuter

What about us daily driver commuters, where's our pin up gallery of 2wd action?

Houston commuter...
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazos_bend View Post
What about us daily driver commuters, where's our pin up gallery of 2wd action?

IMO, the photo contest is about a "high quality and well composed" photo which is "inspiring" for the others and shows the "capability" or the "beauty" of the Xterra. In general, that slims the chance for a stock truck in daily use.
But, with themed photos, it may open a window for everyone. For example a "Through the autumn leaves" theme, or "Xterra and kids or family", and so on. At the end, it all depends on skill and creativity of the photographer.
AlbatrossCafe likes this.

Click Here for >

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Truck-Of-The-Month/Year (TOTM/TOTY)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode