TOTM Format Change Brainstorming.... - Page 3 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:02 PM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

Maybe we start a separate "highest quality photo thread" for the photo junkies out there??
ZheKing likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:39 PM
2013 Night Armor Xterra S

Garage
In regards to participation: my lack of posting has been entirely due to my lack of adventuring of late. Once I've gotten a chance to get some shots I'll start posting more.

That being said, I'm one of those guys that runs around with 6-7 lenses and 2+ bodies when I do finally get out there. I'd love to start seeing some of the other photogs post excellent shots. BUT I think that requiring a perfectly composed, well-lit, themed, model shot would probably probably keep people from entering which would mean even less participation. Additionally, as much as I love a great photo, I like to see cool rigs even if the photo isn't amazing. I do think some standards should be set: resolution, focus but otherwise I want to see all the shots. I'd love to see a photographer thread. I've never photographed cars before and love seeing the unique angles a lot of guys on here go for!

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 03:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

Hey gang,

As the guy who makes the calendars, here's my feedback:

-I'm totally fine with making the calendar month's pic the only the winning photo only if that's what the masses want.
-I harass people for the highest quality HQ pics, but what often happens is people submit a poor quality pic, win TOTM and then disappear. Leaving me with only what I can download from this site,
--Give me feedback calendar wise and ill incorporate.

-Jay

-Entry-wise is not my call.

Support small businesses that support us! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:17 AM
Supporting Member
2011 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

I'll agree that photo's should be high res. I also like the idea of having just the winning photo.

But....
Monthly theme? No limit on how many times a truck can win? Match the season? Sounds like you all need to do your calendar shopping down at the mall.

In case some of you newer folks haven't noticed this community is pretty small. Part of the fun of this whole thing is seeing what people do to their rigs. It's about inclusion not exclusion. It's about your truck, not your camera.

Not to mention.... @Surf and Snow does this on his own time with out any kind of compensation.... All of it.... collecting photos, putting it all together, ordering, packaging, shipping.... and still has to pay for his own copy.

and

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:45 AM
Veteran
2010 Super Black Xterra Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM1RU View Post
In case some of you newer folks haven't noticed this community is pretty small.

pretty small is somewhat of an understatement, its hard to get a large volume of TOTM pics like how it was in the old days when the platform is not longer being made, we have 2 main vendors for aftermarket parts, the "big" yearly meet in moab gets less than 100 vehicles in attendance and this enthusiast forum maybe has 50 people who mainly and consistently contribute.

-IG-x.treks- "No one can deny the pure flex of Un4seen4" - AlbatrossCafe

Last edited by Un4seen4; 07-12-2019 at 10:55 AM.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:05 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra S - Tonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM1RU View Post
In case some of you newer folks haven't noticed this community is pretty small. Part of the fun of this whole thing is seeing what people do to their rigs. {snip} It's about your truck, not your camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Un4seen4 View Post

pretty small is somewhat of an understatement, its hard to get a large volume of TOTM pics like how it was in the old days when the platform is not longer being made, we have 2 main vendors for aftermarket parts, the "big" yearly meet in moab gets less than 100 vehicles in attendance and this enthusiast forum maybe has 50 people who mainly and consistently contribute.
Guess I need to start taking some pics of mine and posting them. *sigh* I'll try.

No matter where you go, there you are.
I never get lost, I have adventures.

Click Here for >
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:23 PM
2006 Knight Armor Xterra SE

Any chance we could get multiple votes, or points for 1st 2nd or 3rd choice? It would reduce the number of 0 vote or 1 vote (gotta vote for yourself lol) and might potentially be less discouraging for other entrants.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Member
2008 Desert Stone Xterra SE 4x4

Garage
Looks like every single point/suggestion is taken to the extreme to prove it nonsense and objection-worthy.

1- Minimum resolution/quality
Regardless of your camera or phone model, you pretty much get at least 8M pixel photo (unless you use a 15 years old Nokia). That's by far bigger than what is considered as a minimum required resolution for a calendar-size printable image. That also gives enough room for cropping (recomposing in post edit) and still be within the range. But there are photos posted in the range of like 640 x 480. They are even low quality on a small screen of a phone, let alone the monitor or the calendar.
So, it's not about showing off the camera or tools contest, it's about what it takes to be adequate for printing on our calendar.

2- Aspect Ratio
Again, it's about proper calendar print and composition. I used to compose and edit my photos for Instagram, so they were all squared. When I won the TOTM Sep 2017 and later Jay asked for some more photos for calendar, I sent some other square photos and you know what, that turned to ugliest composition I could imagine. I'm not arguing him, he did a fantastic job. But my photos aspect ratio and their resolution, didn't give any better choice either. When he sent it for review, I looked and tried my best to find a better composition, but finally gave up and let it go.
It's not a big call to apply the calendar's photo frame aspect ratio as a requirement for the contender photos. All free editing tools on your phone or camera or computer have all the common cropping aspects.

3- Well Composed, Model Photo, ...
Someone asked what's the opportunity of wining for a 4x2 not-modified truck being used for daily commute? And I tried to give my two cents on how everybody can be contender and even a winner, regardless of the mods or even the place he/she goes.
But I believe none of us would love to watch a random photo of even our truck for two full calendar months, which is captured in the drive way, passenger door half open, with some guy in shorts walking his dog in the background, and trash bins at the curb, ... . All being said, I never told we should ban those photos from contest, or set a rule for composition; I told those type of photos has very limited chance of wining.

So, the whole idea of mine was; yes your 4x2 daily driver car can win if you just use your creativity and capture a beautiful photo of your truck.

4- Themed photos
My initial idea was
a) Give more encouragement to the members to plan for specific activities like mud, rock, water, sand, dirt, ... and inspire the others by sharing their photos. This also adds the enthusiasm for contributing in the TOTM contest
b) Give more opportunity to not-mod or slightly -mod car owners by the themes I could suggest at the moment (and certainly look for the brain storming ideas from the others). It could be even a single month of "Stock Xterra" contest

When others suggested season-themed photos, I really liked it, considering these photos go to a calendar. Yes, we can consider one season-themed month per season, and the rest with other themes or even some months theme-free.

5- Small Community
No argument, it's obvious. These two suggestions were considering that fact, indeed:
a) Print 3 best photos of each month (winner the big, 2nd and 3rd small size) instead of some nu-judged random photos of the winner
b) No limit on how many times a truck can win
IMO, these suggestions keeps enthusiast members active all year round. While limiting to one time win sets the winner off for the rest of the year. In addition, it adds the encouragement since it's not "The winner takes it all". More people get the chance to be seen. On the other hand, the voters don't get a surprise photo on the calendar, what they get is a collection of best photos by their choice.
Some may argue that it will make the calendar a personal album. I'd say, no. When we vote, voters will unconsciously prevent it, and if someones photos and truck is so good that can win multiple times, what's wrong about it? Isn't it true that we all want to enjoy watching those photos on the home screen and on our next year calendar?

At the end, I shall admit that watching other's photos is a big inspiration for me; not only for my mods, but also for my adventures and trip planning.

Click Here for >

Last edited by Nasarno; 07-12-2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: spell check
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 02:49 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra S - Tonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasarno View Post
At the end, I shall admit that watching other's photos is a big inspiration for me; not only for my mods, but also for my adventures and trip planning.
And sometimes it is the photo of a particular mod that makes the whole thing very interesting. I love seeing how others have made drawers or other storage mods to their rigs. I admit that some of the photos have led me to brainstorm to find maybe a simpler way of modding to fit my needs.

I also love seeing photos of trips, and they don't have to be off-road either. Those photos give me ideas for where I would like to go, i.e. GONE Moab photos have led me to plan a trip to the Moab area this fall.
Nasarno likes this.

No matter where you go, there you are.
I never get lost, I have adventures.

Click Here for >
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 02:56 PM
Veteran
2011 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasarno View Post
Looks like every single point/suggestion is taken to the extreme to prove it nonsense and objection-worthy.
Understatement of the thread there, glad it isn't just me thinking that.

You all act like there will be no voting going on. If crap photos make it into a calendar it will be the will of you collective boneheads. Crap photos will be submitted and should be allowed, that is why you vote and why I aired my concern over images in a calendar that don't get voted on.

This is why we probably won't get a improved upon well thought out calendar going. You guys will complicate the hell out of it so you can be inclusively restrictive. Everyone gets to play as long as they think just like you.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

2011 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X - 6 MT
Check out my:

-
-

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Truck-Of-The-Month/Year (TOTM/TOTY)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode