ISO: Rockford Fosgate Amp - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KaBoom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

ISO: Rockford Fosgate Amp

I just purchased a 2012 Pro-4X and I love it, except for the alternator whine Iím getting through the sound system. Iíve spent a lot or time trying to troubleshoot and I think Iíve determined itís due to a faulty amp. The original owner had replaced the Rockford Fosgate amp with a re-built Clarion amp, which i think is causing my issues. Anyways before I buy one off eBay I figured Iíd check on here to see if anyone has one they would be interested in selling? Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 10:10 PM
oji
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimons72 View Post
I just purchased a 2012 Pro-4X and I love it, except for the alternator whine Iím getting through the sound system. Iíve spent a lot or time trying to troubleshoot and I think Iíve determined itís due to a faulty amp. The original owner had replaced the Rockford Fosgate amp with a re-built Clarion amp, which i think is causing my issues. Anyways before I buy one off eBay I figured Iíd check on here to see if anyone has one they would be interested in selling? Thanks for the help.

What makes you think the amp is faulty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:14 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Wasn't the RF system some kind of oddball ohms?

Last edited by Longboardr; 06-06-2019 at 03:17 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:35 PM
Veteran
2006 Super Black Xterra S

Garage
I'd start by inspecting whatever the previous owner did with that amp install. Is the original harness still even intact or did he cut it off?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by oji View Post
What makes you think the amp is faulty?

The only way I can get the alternator whine to stop is by either disconnecting the power to the amp or the amp output harness. I've checked all the fuses, tried taking out the head unit, taking off the antenna, and checked the ground on the power harness to the amp. I also tried disconnecting the subwoofer but that didn't help either. It's heard through all the front speakers. I've cleaned the negative terminals and check to make sure everything is tight. It only happens while the engine is running and it's very inconsistent. Sometimes it starts as soon as I start the truck and other times it'll take 30 min.

I know the previous owner had someone replace the amp (it also says remanufactured 2011 and is a Clarion brand not Rockford. He wasn't too. Sure what exactly had been done to it but said the whine has been present for a long time but since he almost never drove the truck it didn't bother him (it was a 3rd vehicle for him...he only put 18,750 miles on it since 2012).

I'm open to any other ideas...

Thanks for the help.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Tarfun View Post
I'd start by inspecting whatever the previous owner did with that amp install. Is the original harness still even intact or did he cut it off?
It's still the stock harness (it's all intact) and the remanufactured amp does say Nissan on it but it's a Clarion amp so I'm wondering if it's not the right amp for the rest of the system. I've check the grounds and they seem fine.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 12:13 AM
2009 Avalanche White Xterra Off Road

Crutchfield has a good resource for this. They also have a link to a diagnostic flowchart on the page. In my experience, it is usually the ground.
SledheadX likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:18 AM
oji
Noobie

It shouldnít matter what kind of amp you are using as long as your amp is installed properly. Iíd start with finding out how much power your amp is putting out. Not the peak but constant rms. That will determine if your using the correct wires that are powering your amp. Your ground has to be a sufficient gauge to match your power wire. Also, are theyíre crossovers installed? Everything else is grounded correctly?

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2012 Xterra Pro-4X

Thanks for the ideas. It's all the factory wiring and harnesses. I can't find anything else that was modified. I've tried taking the amp out of the bracket completely and placing it on carpet and even wrapping it in foil to try to further isolate it from a common ground and nothing seems to really help. Everything else seems to be grounded correctly (I did find a damaged ground on the bluetooth harness that I repaired and got that working again). I used the Crutchfield diagnostic flowchart and it kept bringing me back to damaged amp. Rather than having to rewire what I have I thought that if I replace this one with whats supposed to be in there it might be easier than trying to rewire everything with a totally new amp.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:27 PM
oji
Noobie

Yea, if he have another amp to use than thatís definitely an easy way to isolate the issue. Iím interested in hearing what your results are.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > The Marketplace > Wanted Items

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode