Open Source Low Profile Roof Rack - Page 7 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 102Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 03:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2009 Avalanche White ❌terra OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Io View Post
Quick and dirty shot of the Smittybilt awning rib. Sorry for the quality, I was trying to balance on the slider and use both hands in the wind and cold.
What do you think?

I guesstimated the bulky part was about 2"x4" and centered, but that's easy to change. It's under the accessories folder in onshape. I was thinking a basic rectangle block could represent the RTT. That would give us in idea of how multiple things mounted up would work, or not if they get in the way of each other.

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 03:48 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29erClan View Post
I guesstimated the bulky part was about 2"x4" and centered, but that's easy to change. It's under the accessories folder in onshape. I was thinking a basic rectangle block could represent the RTT. That would give us in idea of how multiple things mounted up would work, or not if they get in the way of each other.
I have an ARB, not Smittybilt, but I think the basic idea is similar. I can measure tonight, but I think it's more like 6" vertically. One thing to consider is that when folded up, the awning package will hang down... it doesn't stay centered. I tried to find a picture showing it on my setup, here's the best one I could find:

Something to consider for clearance in opening the rear door.

On an unrelated note, can anyone comment on expected wind noise from this type of roof rack? It'd be a bummer to go to all the trouble of installing something like this only to get some weird resonance or whistling wind noise. The Yakima bike racks on my Subaru are annoyingly loud >60 MPH.
post #63 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

The ARB mount bar looks wider, or maybe the t-slots are smaller. If you can get a tape measure or ruler on it I could make as many awning models as you guys give me info on. Then we could make holes or slot patterns that should work with all of them. I think we can work the door clearance as roof-mount and up for now. The top of the door is 1-2" lower maybe?

I found the thread I was thinking of. @Toro was the one that modified the brackets to be short like he wanted. (Got rid of the height-wasting table storage area nobody seems to want.)
Front Runner Outfitters GenII Roof Rack
He also mentions extending the length at the front.

It's nice and all, but if it's that much money and needs major modifications to be the way I'd also want it to be, then it really isn't for me.

Looks like it only uses the outermost bolts and it sounds like he had no problems or wanted to use all the rivnuts. Maybe we can branch the rail modeling so that those who are happy with that can just go with the simple bent feet and in that sense it's almost done. Those that want full mount bolt usage can take the second branch with the complex feet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #64 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:41 PM
Veteran
2010 Super Black Xterra Off Road

Quote:
The ARB mount bar looks wider, or maybe the t-slots are smaller. If you can get a tape measure or ruler on it I could make as many awning models as you guys give me info on. Then we could make holes or slot patterns that should work with all of them. I think we can work the door clearance as roof-mount and up for now. The top of the door is 1-2" lower maybe?

I found the thread I was thinking of. @Toro was the one that modified the brackets to be short like he wanted. (Got rid of the height-wasting table storage area nobody seems to want.)
Front Runner Outfitters GenII Roof Rack
He also mentions extending the length at the front.

It's nice and all, but if it's that much money and needs major modifications to be the way I'd also want it to be, then it really isn't for me.

Looks like it only uses the outermost bolts and it sounds like he had no problems or wanted to use all the rivnuts. Maybe we can branch the rail modeling so that those who are happy with that can just go with the simple bent feet and in that sense it's almost done. Those that want full mount bolt usage can take the second branch with the complex feet.
side note my gobi only used the outer most for mounting too and its stupid heavy to start with

-IG-x.treks- "No one can deny the pure flex of Un4seen4" - AlbatrossCafe
post #65 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:08 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Un4seen4 View Post
side note my gobi only used the outer most for mounting too and its stupid heavy to start with
Do you have any roof damage or leaks from not using the extra bolts? 3/16" aluminum with or without a vertical triangle gusset might be just fine then.

post #66 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 08:24 PM
Veteran
2010 Super Black Xterra Off Road

Quote:
Do you have any roof damage or leaks from not using the extra bolts? 3/16" aluminum with or without a vertical triangle gusset might be just fine then.
I used metal bonded rubber dome washers on the exposed nusters and so far no damage from using the rack, grated the feet have a larger area to disperse weight, ill take a pic tomorrow.

-IG-x.treks- "No one can deny the pure flex of Un4seen4" - AlbatrossCafe
post #67 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 10:27 AM
2012 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
So just a rough costing input this is looking pretty awesome from a materials standpoint. The 80/20 with m6 threaded holes should cost around $250 for 9 crossmembers, and the material for the side rails is looking about $160 each. So that puts a bare rack around $570 and some elbow grease, not bad at all!

These are just preliminary cost searches on what is needed and I overestimated the side rail material needed just to be safe.

2012 Metalic Blue PRO-4X<-- Mine

2011 Black PRO-4X <-- Hers
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 <-- Mine

Last edited by Hawk136439; 12-18-2018 at 12:04 PM.
post #68 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 01:01 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The ARB mount bar looks wider, or maybe the t-slots are smaller. If you can get a tape measure or ruler on it I could make as many awning models as you guys give me info on. Then we could make holes or slot patterns that should work with all of them.
I took some measurements last night and the ARB 2000 extrusion profile is pretty close to this:

On mine the awning zippered bag hangs down about 2.5" from the bottom of the extrusion and the top of the bag lies around .5" above the top of the extrusion.

post #69 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 01:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback97 View Post
I took some measurements last night and the ARB 2000 extrusion profile is pretty close to this
Excellent. Those channels look perfect for standard 1/4-20 hex head bolts. Here's the new model in onshape:

I also made a generic RTT @ 42x48x11. (Loosely based on the tepui ayer, but it looks like many are about that size anyway.) Fit mock up:

@Hawk136439, please tell me that was a quote for cut and bent material? $160 sounds like the price of 100# of aluminum to me.

post #70 of 183 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 01:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Excellent. Those channels look perfect for standard 1/4-20 hex head bolts. Here's the new model in onshape:
Wow, that was fast, looks great! I literally took hours to make my little drawings and you busted that out in a few moments

The awning is supplied with M6 x 20mm bolts. I imagine 1/4 hex head would work well too.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Xterra Projects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode