Meeners' 06 Xterra Off Road 6MT - VK56 Swap - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2006 Night Armor ❌terra Off Road 4x4 6MT

Garage
Meeners' 06 Xterra Off Road 6MT - VK56 Swap

My Off Road 6MT Xterra VK56 Project Log:

I’ll get to the meat and potatoes: All the parts have been purchased/collected for the complete VK56DE swap. The build WILL be completed over the next few months. Along the way I will also be installing a few suspension components to fix some of the clapped out 176k stuff. This thread will serve as the candid documentation on the process and be used to clarify any eccentricities or any speculation about the swap with the VQ40 six-speed manual tran (6MT). Hopefully, this thread will help others who are on the fence about doing the swap. Below is a list of the parts that I’ve collected for the swap alone. I'll add to it as we go. The swap will be completed on my personal truck and I will be working with Brennan (SinisterFrontier06) with Driven Desire. More to come in the next few weeks. If you have any questions, feel free to post up here.

Thanks,
Meeners

Table of Contents:

Quote:
Page 1: General Information | Modifications | Opinion of Probable Cost | Goals & Accomplishments | Parts Arrive
Page 2: Suspension Replacement / Upgrades | More Parts Arrive | VQ40 Radiator Aluminum Shroud Prototype
Page 3: Shroud Complete | NV VK Differences
Page 4: ....
Page 5: ....
Page 6: ....
Page 7: ....
Page 8: ....
Page 9: ....
Page 10: ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xterra1.jpg (84.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: png Swap List.PNG (30.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: png Swap Estimation.PNG (56.2 KB, 61 views)
bluez, AlbatrossCafe and TerryD like this.

Last edited by Meeners; 08-27-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 07:43 AM
Veteran & LPM
2010 ❌terra S & 2010 Frontier SE

Garage
Subscribed.

>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>

>
|
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:20 AM
Veteran
2005 Super Black Xterra Off-Road 6MT

Subbed, good luck!
Meeners likes this.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:40 AM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Awesome, sub’d as well!
Meeners likes this.

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Will get some pictures of the parts that have arrived and update later this evening.

Modifications List Template:

VK56DE Engine Swap from a Nissan Titan
-- Displacement:
-- Power:
-- Torque:
-- Bore:
-- Stroke:
-- Compression Ratio:

Engine, Drivetrain & Transmission, Cooling Mods
--

Brakes, Wheels, & Suspension:
--

Air & Fuel Modifications:
--

Electronics & Data Logging
--

Appearance & Cosmetics:
--

Audio:
--

Maintenance/Modification Record
--
bluez and TerryD like this.

Last edited by Meeners; 08-06-2018 at 08:50 AM.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
This evening, I had chance to stop by and get some more insight on the swap process at Driven Desire. There are a few VK swaps going on currently so I got a chance to take a peak. Also, had some fun finally opening boxes of all the hoarded parts. Currently, the only parts I ordered that I haven't recieved are:

*Titan/Armada power steering pump (I accidentally ordered a Frontier one)
*V8 Pathfinder AC L/P Suction Line
*JBA Longtube Headers
*Cajun B-Pipes
*JBA Full Catback Exhaust
*My UpREV Hardware
*My OEM Exhaust Gaskets
*Dakar Rear OME Springs and ES Bushings
*Clutch/Electric Fans and Shroud (I'm still on the fence if I want to go electric or not)

Below are some pictures of what I did receive over the past few weeks. Enjoy.

1. Rear Bilstein 5125 to replace my clapped stockers

2. Set of 4 o2 sensors

3. Heater Core Couple

4. Titan Motor Mount Bracket to replace my busted one.

5. Set of 8 New OEM Spark Plugs

6. Titan Power Steering Reservoir Hose

7. OEM Stainless multilayer Head Manifold Gaskets

8. JWT Lightweight (14lb) VQ Flywheel with replaceable face.

9. Throwout Bearing, Pilot Bearings, Alignment Tool, Dowel, etc.

10. JWT Pressure Plate good for 550 ft-lbs

11. JWT Clutch Disc good for 550 ft-lbs

12. Titan Flexplate for CAS Pickup

13. HPS Silicone coolant and vacuum kit for VK56

14. Air Flow Dynamic Titan Intake.

15… Opened the box.

16. 2005 VK56DE on the stand awaiting some TLC and a harness service from Driven Desire.

17. Engine Cover

18. Access Cover

19. New PRG VK56 Motor Mounts

20. Vibrant Resonator for after the JBA Muffler

21. Bilstein 5100 with MK84 600lb springs and Coilover Collar setup to replace my tired stock setup.

22. Realized I need to order a new v8 Pathfinder AC line as the Titan one would need to be modified

23. Brennan made me aware of the correct line to order. More to come...
TerryD likes this.

Meeners | 2006 Xterra Off-Road 6MT - vk56_or_Bust | My VK56 6MT Swap:

Last edited by Meeners; 08-06-2018 at 08:42 AM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Got a few more packages this afternoon... Still waiting on the following to arrive:

*Titan/Armada power steering pump
*V8 Pathfinder AC L/P Suction Line
*JBA Longtube Headers
*Cajun B-Pipes
*JBA Full Catback Exhaust
*Dakar Rear OME Springs
*Cooling Fans and Shroud Setup

1. Finally got my OEM exhaust gaskets.These are key for a leakless system.

2. OME Bushings for the new Rear Leaf Spring Components.

3. The UpRev Hardware also came in the mail. It's nice that there is no need for a standalone.

Chase5Hart likes this.

Last edited by Meeners; 08-06-2018 at 08:51 AM.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 11:27 PM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
I'm not sure if it's asking too much, but could you add a price breakdown with this? A lot of these little components add up to a lot more than people expect.
IM1RU likes this.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Certainly not much to ask at all...

In my opinion you can build a truck to get moving turnkey from around $3,800 on the low end to $11,000 on the high end including parts and labor. This solely depends on amenities, part preferences, additional options, and who does the work (I.e. the inexpensive garage truck build with no/ac vs the new part truck build put together at a shop. The optional items are based on things you may or may not need to buy, preferences, and other amenities.

For example, I opted for AC and all the stock amenities, a nicer clutch, but I also plan to use my stock 6MT and radiator. My swap cost will end up being somewhere around the middle.

Below is my best opinion on the cost breakdown. Please take with a grain of salt as I'm still getting a few costs vetted. Keep in mind also that this does not account for any money made back from selling your VQ40 and/or other components. You can also use the information below to weigh the cost benefit of buying a complete parts Titan for the swap.

Last edited by Meeners; 08-07-2018 at 02:23 AM.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Stopped by Driven Desire today to discuss the swap further with Brennan. We've decided that it would be beneficial for the community to document the process step by step to further convey the simplicity of the VK Swap. The rest of my swap parts will arrive before the end of this week.

1. Driven Desire has quite a few things going on at the moment including a customer Xterra VK Swap and another Frontier as well. Out of respect of the customer I won't spread any detail without permission.

Last month it was discovered that my tired OEM Off Road leaf springs were failing. My rear actually broke two leaves and one of them severed my rear brake line. Any breakdown is an opportunity for an upgrade. Since I feel a little unsafe driving anywhere at the moment, this is an excuse to start on the suspension portion of the project at home. I received my OME Dakar leaf packs today and plan on getting the lift on this week.

2. Here is the full mild lift. Should be approximatley 1.5" all around

Currently the Bilstein/Eibach/FatBob Coilover setup has approximately 2" of spring preload. This is higher than I'd prefer. As far as I have read, there is approximately a 50lb difference in weight between the VQ40 and VK56 longblocks. I'm currently working on building a small under-hat shim stack so that I can remove approximately 3/4" to 1" of preload from the coilovers. I'd like to see where the truck sits after I install the Dakars before I change anything.

3. I've decided to also make some new spacers since I'll be removing preload. I have some old Delrin laying around.

4. Drew up a quick template based on all the measurements. Entire spacer will be 4.7" in diameter, 19.5mm thick, stud holes are drilled to 12mm, center hole is 2".
TerryD likes this.

Last edited by Meeners; 08-07-2018 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Photobucket is acting up...

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Xterra Projects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode