DIY: Transfer Case and Transmission Skids (Gas Tank and Engine coming Soon) - Page 5 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2009 Avalanche White ❌terra OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarRamRod View Post
Thank you for posting these files and putting this much detail into open source!!!
You're welcome.

Been a long time away from this project. Haven't had much access to solidworks, or free time. Anyway, it's update time.

The was talk recently of skid hardware getting mangled, expensive washers, etc. Here's my simple solution... Take some bar stock, chamfer the ends a bit, weld far enough away that the socket wrench still fits over the bolt. (I hope the picture attachment works.)

Next, I finally got around to doing up an 18-page template pdf for the gas tank skid. Will test it out with cardboard first. For now consider it entirely garbage that won't fit, but I hope it's close. It's called v2 because v1 was imagination based on the OEM skid sketch. I never made anything with that after taking a lot of pictures that the v2 3d model is based on. (and the OEM sketch)

EDIT: (swapping attached images into the project album)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf v2 drawing tiled.pdf (36.4 KB, 16 views)
GeolJon and VMBiohazard like this.

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 29erClan; 12-14-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 06:01 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
^^Nice. When looking at the stock skids, something that I noticed was how they seemed to be designed with protecting the bolt heads in mind. A lot of them are recessed somewhat or positioned where they are less likely to be hit.

"It is the natural and legitimate ambition of a properly constituted geologist to see a glacier, witness an eruption, and feel an earthquake." -G.K. Gilbert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Since I've got a chance lately to play with solidworks again, I've got a little done on the engine skid too. So far it's just Samuel313's plan converted to 1/4" aluminum and printed to a 15-page pdf. Like the gas tank pdf. I'll print them out and trace onto some cardboard later, make some notes on any changes and fit problems, then see how it goes.
I expect the engine skid will get side walls, ribs, mount hole changes, or whatever. But it looks like a great starting point already.

Also got a nice 4-view picture showing the whole set of 4 so far. It's up to 72# total now.

EDIT: (swapping attached images into the project album)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tiled engine base drawing.pdf (33.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by 29erClan; 12-14-2018 at 08:44 AM.

post #44 of 57 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeolJon View Post
A lot of them are recessed somewhat or positioned where they are less likely to be hit.
Yep. People may say the OEM skids are junk, but I think they do a pretty good job for how light they are. My only real complaint for my usage was no transmission pan protection.

post #45 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 05:09 PM
2006 Xterra OR

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29erClan View Post
Since I've got a chance lately to play with solidworks again, I've got a little done on the engine skid too. So far it's just Samuel313's plan converted to 1/4" aluminum and printed to a 15-page pdf. Like the gas tank pdf. I'll print them out and trace onto some cardboard later, make some notes on any changes and fit problems, then see how it goes.
I expect the engine skid will get side walls, ribs, mount hole changes, or whatever. But it looks like a great starting point already.

Also got a nice 4-view picture showing the whole set of 4 so far. It's up to 72# total now.
AWESOME!!

I think it's worth pointing out that I had to re-do all of the mounting holes for the Engine Skid except for one. (but I think you already know this) (I have a '06 AT OR if it makes any difference)

Here is a picture from last weekend when I finally got things mounted up:

One thing I would also consider changing is narrowing up the skid at the engine cross brace. the reason I say this is that the lowest point of the crossmember is near the LCA, but then it rises again as you go ~3" in from the mount. basically, you can gain around 3/8ths to a 1/2" of clearance and have the support of the brace across the width of the skid. (if none of this makes sense I can take some pictures)
29erClan likes this.

'06 Off Road - w/ 33's
Collecting parts for a T-Swap
post #46 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
AWESOME!!

I think it's worth pointing out that I had to re-do all of the mounting holes for the Engine Skid except for one. (but I think you already know this) (I have a '06 AT OR if it makes any difference)
Thank you! I always enjoy seeing people make use of my plans, even better when they improve them, and what's really awesome to me is that you're getting ahead of me!

I really don't know what's up with the mount locations. I thought maybe I had the flat pattern upside down, or started measuring from the wrong side, maybe there were frame changes over the years? Even more confusing, I would've guessed they would match your 06 better.

Quote:
One thing I would also consider changing is narrowing up the skid at the engine cross brace. the reason I say this is that the lowest point of the crossmember is near the LCA, but then it rises again as you go ~3" in from the mount. basically, you can gain around 3/8ths to a 1/2" of clearance and have the support of the brace across the width of the skid. (if none of this makes sense I can take some pictures)
Yes please, more pictures. I think I follow your description and know where you mean. Seeing it would be easier for me. Would you mind drawing on it with a sharpie to show what you would change before you take the pictures? Maybe measure and write the dimensions of different cuts or bends or the X,Y of where the mount bolts worked best for you. I'll update the model and make a new template file. I'd also like to see oil pan clearance, and any good places to throw in strengthening ribs or side walls if you can get a good camera angle.

Are you going to make a gas tank skid too? I've got the 18 pages printed, aligned, taped, and cut. Still haven't made the cardboard from it yet. I've been catching up on maintenance more than the fun projects lately.

Just realized that I don't think I posted any plain dxf files lately. I have them, use them to make the tiled pdf for printing. I kinda forgot that anybody out there that has laser/plasma/jet cutting available would probably prefer them. I'll see what I can do about that.

post #47 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 01:32 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2010 Silver Lightning Xterra Pro-4X

Great thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #48 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 01:39 PM
2006 Xterra OR

Garage
Quote:
Thank you! I always enjoy seeing people make use of my plans, even better when they improve them, and what's really awesome to me is that you're getting ahead of me!

I really don't know what's up with the mount locations. I thought maybe I had the flat pattern upside down, or started measuring from the wrong side, maybe there were frame changes over the years? Even more confusing, I would've guessed they would match your 06 better.

Yes please, more pictures. I think I follow your description and know where you mean. Seeing it would be easier for me. Would you mind drawing on it with a sharpie to show what you would change before you take the pictures? Maybe measure and write the dimensions of different cuts or bends or the X,Y of where the mount bolts worked best for you. I'll update the model and make a new template file. I'd also like to see oil pan clearance, and any good places to throw in strengthening ribs or side walls if you can get a good camera angle.

Are you going to make a gas tank skid too? I've got the 18 pages printed, aligned, taped, and cut. Still haven't made the cardboard from it yet. I've been catching up on maintenance more than the fun projects lately.

Just realized that I don't think I posted any plain dxf files lately. I have them, use them to make the tiled pdf for printing. I kinda forgot that anybody out there that has laser/plasma/jet cutting available would probably prefer them. I'll see what I can do about that.
I don't believe I used your Engine skid schematics, I used those first ones (so we might be talking about different parts).

I did use your t-case and Trans skid and they bolted up flawlessly! (again thank you!)

As for measurements, I have no problem getting you some, I am just heading out to a local trail right now for some winter wheeling so depending on how much ice, snow and salt build up I get today. I might wait for warmer weather to wash things off (more for me then for the pictures like... I hate getting stuff in my eyes!)

I think I would like to make a removable panel for simple oil changes; I will try and mark that out as well!

I do plan on making a gas tank skid in the near future, that being said, I leave for my honeymoon in 5 days and then I start a new job at the beginning of January so I will be limited on time for the next little while.

But again I am willing to help design and measure up for the gas tank skid and help where I can

On a side note I am also working on a roof rack, but my first cut out got an angle wrong so it needs to be re-worked. I will share that too once its ready.
post #49 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet 180 View Post
Great thread
Thank you sir, glad you you like it. If you make some please post some pictures.

Quote:
I don't believe I used your Engine skid schematics, I used those first ones (so we might be talking about different parts).

I did use your t-case and Trans skid and they bolted up flawlessly! (again thank you!)
Yup, that's what I meant. The T-case and Trans. The engine skid really isn't mine yet. That is just my draw up of @samuel313's plan with the only minor change being the bend allowance for 1/4" thick aluminum instead.
I'm glad to hear the bolt locations weren't a problem.

Quote:
As for measurements, I have no problem getting you some, I am just heading out to a local trail right now for some winter wheeling so depending on how much ice, snow and salt build up I get today. I might wait for warmer weather to wash things off (more for me then for the pictures like... I hate getting stuff in my eyes!)

I think I would like to make a removable panel for simple oil changes; I will try and mark that out as well!

I do plan on making a gas tank skid in the near future, that being said, I leave for my honeymoon in 5 days and then I start a new job at the beginning of January so I will be limited on time for the next little while.

But again I am willing to help design and measure up for the gas tank skid and help where I can

On a side note I am also working on a roof rack, but my first cut out got an angle wrong so it needs to be re-worked. I will share that too once its ready.
I'd appreciate that, and I'm not in a big hurry. I'll probably focus on the gas tank for awhile and incorporate your suggestions into the engine skid before I make a cardboard mockup. We can call it the @CarRamRod Engine Skid since it'll be your suggested changes. I was on the fence about the oil drain panel or putting in a remote oil pan drain. I read about them here, but I can't find it again. I also like the oil filter remote bracket thing too. @VMBiohazard recently posted about doing one and I think it's the same one I saw on rockauto.

One thing I noticed recently was that removing a 15# t-case skid is no big deal for a fluid change. I can understand it being a complete PITA if it were 30-40# instead.

I've got a few partial roof rack models floating around somewhere, including the sketch with hole location measurements I took from the wetbox back. If you want I'd be happy to model and make dxf/pdf files of your project.

post #50 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:20 PM
2006 Xterra OR

Garage
Quote:
I'd appreciate that, and I'm not in a big hurry. I'll probably focus on the gas tank for awhile and incorporate your suggestions into the engine skid before I make a cardboard mockup. We can call it the @CarRamRod Engine Skid since it'll be your suggested changes. I was on the fence about the oil drain panel or putting in a remote oil pan drain. I read about them here, but I can't find it again. I also like the oil filter remote bracket thing too. @VMBiohazard recently posted about doing one and I think it's the same one I saw on rockauto.

One thing I noticed recently was that removing a 15# t-case skid is no big deal for a fluid change. I can understand it being a complete PITA if it were 30-40# instead.

I've got a few partial roof rack models floating around somewhere, including the sketch with hole location measurements I took from the wetbox back. If you want I'd be happy to model and make dxf/pdf files of your project.
Haha or just call it the Mash-Up engine skid - Pun intended!

I guess you are right about the weight being much less of an issue for changing fluids. If anything it would be a good time to get any dirt/mud build you outta there.

I appreciate your offer on the roof rack, I will send you PM on that to discuss and keep this post cleaner

'06 Off Road - w/ 33's
Collecting parts for a T-Swap

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Xterra Projects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode