Airmapper's Rear Cargo Area Project - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Airmapper's Rear Cargo Area Project

It started with a HF hitch rack, but now it's grown into so much more. Metal has been purchased, hardware is being bought, the chop saw has made an appearance, and the welder is anxiously waiting.

I'm working on completely reworking the rear cargo area, I'm annoyed by the hard plastic surface, having to tie everything down like it's going to ride on the back of a mule, and this useful but completely inaccessible space under the floor.

I'll go into more detail as the project progresses, but these teaser shots should give you all a good hint, but it's probably not what you think.

Wish me luck and put me to shame if I dawdle and don't get this finished soon with lots of photos. Actually at this point I have more money than I care to think about in this, I better finish it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 08:00 PM
Veteran
2010 X

It's not drawers?
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eighty View Post
It's not drawers?
Not quite. Similar, but not drawers as we've seen done typically. I think I've run across only one setup that was very similar on here to what I have planned, but I'm doing some things differently with mine.
eighty likes this.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 08:52 PM
Noobie

It's a slideout TV gaming combo like they did on the Pimp My Ride show!
Airmapper, Dyno992 and SpecialWarr like this.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 06:12 AM
Veteran & LPM
2010 ❌terra S & 2010 Frontier SE

Garage
Subscribed to see build
Airmapper and Dyno992 like this.

>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>

>
|
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
In the pics from yesterday I was sorting out some clearance issues where the threshold to the cargo area is slightly higher than the flat where the channel rails are.

On break I made a simple cutout on the mill to hopefully alleviate that so it can bolt flush with the floor yet will overhang to cover the slide. I just need too test for fit later.

For the slide mounts all that should be left is drilling thru holes for the floor bolts and slide bolts, and maybe attachment points for the next little feature of the project. (Optional at this point) And paint of course. I want to fit it all first before I do any finishing work.

Last edited by Airmapper; 11-07-2017 at 11:49 AM.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2011 Night Armor ❌terra Pro-4X

Garage
Subbed I'm excited about this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Airmapper likes this.

I know what this man needs, bring me the bourbon. -Cole Kehm
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 12:24 PM
2012 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Subbed and curious why you're not facing the L-steel the other way but will wait for all to be revealed.
Airmapper likes this.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk136439 View Post
Subbed and curious why you're not facing the L-steel the other way but will wait for all to be revealed.
Actually thanks for asking that because it prompted me to look back into it to remember why I did it that way, and you might be on to something, I may be able to flip them.

I wanted it that way initially for more width, but at the time I thought I was going to need to use the same L-steel for the inside of the slide as the steel bolted to the floor and was going to run into bolt heads in the way and such. Later I ended up going to a thinner and smaller L-steel (huge weight savings) on the inside, and didn't go back and re-check my clearances.

I might gain about 4" of width for the cost of raising some stuff up less than 1".

I still may run into a problem with the stupid bump that is on the threshold to the cargo area. The wider you go the more in the way it becomes. I think if I do flip it I've not done anything yet that will make anything I've done not work, but I need to mock it up that way in the truck and check for clearance issues.

I guess everyone is curious, but the big difference between what I'm working on and the typical drawer setup is I'm not going to enclose it like a box drawer. I'm just going to make a big flat platform that moves. RockyMtnX did something very similar except his sliding shelf went under another platform.

Then I'm going to try and rig up a HF cargo carrier shelf kinda like what a bunch of you here have done (I think @Longboardr is the one I referenced most) to attach on top. Really that is a separate task though, I'm going to make it part of my slide system but it would not need to be.

I still have a problem in that I don't want to eat up the space to the drivers side of the cargo area. I've found a tent cot, and/or a folding table fit perfectly there on end, and I don't want to mess that up. However it will probably be worth it to just find another home for such large items if I have to, I do after all have a huge GOBI roof rack.

I'm going to pick up some more supplies tonight, hoping to do some work over the weekend to get it where it looks like something. I know I won't get it finished but I'd at least like to get it roughly assembled.
VMBiohazard and Hawk136439 like this.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Always glad to hear people get use out of a writeup.

Unfortunately I think you might find the HF cargo is going to be too wide to slide out of the back of the X. Assembled as intended to go into a receiver it's about 53 1/4" wide. You could assemble it without the 2" square tube, but I don't think it will clear even like that.
Airmapper likes this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Xterra Projects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode