Airmapper's Rear Cargo Area Project - Page 5 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:14 AM
New England Regional Moderator
2011 Night Armor ❌terra Pro-4X [New Hotness]

Man, everyone is using those ammo crates now!

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“In every walk with Nature one receives far more than he seeks.” John Muir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 09:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
That turned out really nice - great job!

I really like how you can still use the cargo area underneath.
Airmapper likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 05:06 PM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmapper View Post
The elevated cargo rack. I have it held with 4 bolts. I think what I see as flimsiness is the fact I don't have the top welded in which should add lateral stability, and I didn't have all 4 mounting bolts secured. I used angle iron top and bottom to try and gain some strength without having to weld in gussets
Well my bet would be the gussets are probably worth the extra hassle. Turned out well though, good job! I am eyeing a rear rack more and more as the X-Trail (my other vehicle) has about the same amount of cargo room in the rear so having the rack in the Xterra won't be as much of a hassle anymore.
Airmapper likes this.

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhullD View Post
Well my bet would be the gussets are probably worth the extra hassle. Turned out well though, good job! I am eyeing a rear rack more and more as the X-Trail (my other vehicle) has about the same amount of cargo room in the rear so having the rack in the Xterra won't be as much of a hassle anymore.
I would have leaned in that direction also, but actually it turned out very rigid with just angle iron. It's extremely solid, more than I would have guessed. I drove the X today to shake it out and no annoying rattles. Some washboard in my drive made something rattle but it was feint and I'm pretty sure it was there before.

I think it's pretty overkill as is, I welded the 2 halves together, and welded on the rail covers, so it's not bolted together as intended when it was a hitch rack. The rack is welded down to the leg assemblies on top the flat of the 2" angle. The angle iron is reinforced from flexing by the legs as they are welded on the inside of the bend. The legs sit on large angle pads that bolt flush to the top of the slide mounts.

Really for safety concerns in an accident I'm planning to avoid anything heavy in the rack anyway.

Of all of it my greatest concern for a failure point is where the floor track channels mount to the floor. I used higher grade bolts but they are still of smaller diameter than I would have liked.

2011 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X - 6 MT
Check out my:

-
-

post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 07:21 PM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmapper View Post
I would have leaned in that direction also, but actually it turned out very rigid with just angle iron. It's extremely solid, more than I would have guessed. I drove the X today to shake it out and no annoying rattles. Some washboard in my drive made something rattle but it was feint and I'm pretty sure it was there before.

I think it's pretty overkill as is, I welded the 2 halves together, and welded on the rail covers, so it's not bolted together as intended when it was a hitch rack. The rack is welded down to the leg assemblies on top the flat of the 2" angle. The angle iron is reinforced from flexing by the legs as they are welded on the inside of the bend. The legs sit on large angle pads that bolt flush to the top of the slide mounts.

Really for safety concerns in an accident I'm planning to avoid anything heavy in the rack anyway.

Of all of it my greatest concern for a failure point is where the floor track channels mount to the floor. I used higher grade bolts but they are still of smaller diameter than I would have liked.
I must have misread, I read it as though even after the angle iron it was flimsy or whatever. We used angle iron rods to reinforce a 95 pathfinder floor that needed everything cut out. Por15'd the whole thing and it is solid.

post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 09:55 PM
Veteran
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra SE

Garage
Wow that came out great! Really like that slide out setup.

2006 Nissan Xterra:

post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
I guess I never updated this after some use.

Now I've put some trips on it, I love it, best mod I've ever done. The amount of gear organization is wonderful. The under floor bin is stocked with tools and gear and I can reach it with minor effort.

Here it is not too long after being finished in use with the lights on at night.

Not long after that I figured out a Trail Kitchens King Charles chuck box would fit perfect in there, now I'm rolling with the chuck box and fridge setup, no crates to screw with aside from one I put food in and set on the upper shelf. Now I have a cooking surface and place to set items I'm getting out of the box after I modified it to hold the door flat with a cable and hook.

Check out my:

-
-

post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:53 PM
2013 Night Armor Xterra S

Garage
Just found this project, and that is the coolest setup ever. Have you ever thought about selling premade kits for those of us with less fabricating skills? (Mostly the welded/cut pieces)
Airmapper likes this.

Click Here for >
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Spaulding View Post
Just found this project, and that is the coolest setup ever. Have you ever thought about selling premade kits for those of us with less fabricating skills? (Mostly the welded/cut pieces)
Thanks. I'm reluctant to offer any kits as I've seen too many home shop X vendors get overwhelmed and let folks down. I never want to get busy with life and do that. If I was set up better for it, maybe.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Check out my:

-
-

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Xterra Projects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode