Airmapper's Rear Cargo Area Project - Page 4 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 11:27 AM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

I'm with you on the black hole being a problem. I'd considered wiring in a strip like you're talking about and at the same time adding lighting to the hatch itself for lighting the ground below it. I'd also considered skipping having a wire run and just adding battery powered lighting to under the shelf since LEDs don't eat batteries very fast.

What I really wish I'd taken into account when I built my legs is the height of a propane tank. Thankfully they just clear under the rack, but only by about 1/2" and that makes it a real pain taking up to 5 20# tanks at a time to get refilled.
Airmapper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 01:04 PM
2015 Glacier White Xterra Pro-4X

Somehow missed this before, but as Arte Johnson used to say; "Veeery Interesting! I especially like how the platform covers the underfloor compartment, leaving it accessible while doing away with that stupid lid.

I probably missed it in reading, but I assume those slides lock back into the closed position? Look forward to seeing this in person some day.
Airmapper likes this.
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xscape View Post
Somehow missed this before, but as Arte Johnson used to say; "Veeery Interesting! I especially like how the platform covers the underfloor compartment, leaving it accessible while doing away with that stupid lid.

I probably missed it in reading, but I assume those slides lock back into the closed position? Look forward to seeing this in person some day.
Yes that is a key feature I wanted, access to that underfloor area. It's a very useful area if you can actually get to it. Actually the platform sits a bit above floor level, so there is a bit more vertical room in the compartment now. You don't have to make sure everything is perfectly below level, that slide will squish flexible stuff down a bit. It either won't fit or the slide will make it fit, the slide is not going to float up if something is under it.

Yes they lock both in and out. To my amazement, they don't rattle either when driving.

You bet on seeing it in person, we are going to have to drive some more trails this year.

2011 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X - 6 MT
Check out my:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 02:59 PM
2015 Glacier White Xterra Pro-4X

Awesome! Sounds like a plan.

How about raised, shaped, removable platforms that could be placed on either side in the event you want to take your rig on vacation and load tons of luggage back there? I find a flat, full across floor best for those occasions. The inserts could be removable when not needed.
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Made a bit of progress yesterday. I'm not quite as happy with the rack mounting as I hoped, it's sturdy but I'm worried about vibration.

I haven't attached the rack to the legs yet.

Here are some pics of a possible loaded configuration for camping trips. Straps would be added to hold everything in place.
brokefoot likes this.

Check out my:

-
-

post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 06:17 PM
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmapper View Post
Made a bit of progress yesterday. I'm not quite as happy with the rack mounting as I hoped, it's sturdy but I'm worried about vibration.

I haven't attached the rack to the legs yet.

Here are some pics of a possible loaded configuration for camping trips. Straps would be added to hold everything in place.
Which rack are you referring to? The shelf that slides out, or the cargo rack above it? I like your configuration. You also can still leave stuff in the cubby hole.
Airmapper likes this.

post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 06:38 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2007 Xterra X 4x4 6MT

Thats looking good man. I had played with the idea of using one of those racks as a platform for a bit. Looks like your way ahead of me. Would be a part of my drawer unit so the whole thing can be removed quick when needed. Nice work
Airmapper likes this.
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhullD View Post
Which rack are you referring to? The shelf that slides out, or the cargo rack above it? I like your configuration. You also can still leave stuff in the cubby hole.
The elevated cargo rack. I have it held with 4 bolts. I think what I see as flimsiness is the fact I don't have the top welded in which should add lateral stability, and I didn't have all 4 mounting bolts secured. I used angle iron top and bottom to try and gain some strength without having to weld in gussets.

The top rack shares the slides mounting bolts, and should be equally usable attached to the slide or can be used without it.

Cold weather is still slowing me up, I really want to get the carpet glued on the slide, that plywood is slick as snot. I keep my tool bags in the back and even with a strap over them they slide around, the carpet should eliminate the need to cinch them down so tight just to keep them from sliding.

I got a bunch of stuff from superbrightleds.com for illuminating the bottom side of the rack, going to make it plug in at the rear right corner from a hidden wire if I can.

Check out my:

-
-

post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Finally I'm calling it done! Only took me what, 6 months or so....

Carpet is in, shelf is made, lights are wired. I even added MOLLE compatible mounting strips on the sides.

Now I'm enjoying a cold Kentucky made cherry Ale8 in celebration.

Thanks everyone for participating in my project with comments and encouragement.
jsexton, dmski, 29erClan and 3 others like this.

Check out my:

-
-

post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2009 Avalanche White ❌terra OR

Nice!

I really like those cargo channels you found that let you pop in tie downs anywhere along them.
Airmapper likes this.

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid -

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Xterra Projects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode