Airmapper's Rear Cargo Area Project - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 03:11 PM
2012 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmapper View Post
Actually thanks for asking that because it prompted me to look back into it to remember why I did it that way, and you might be on to something, I may be able to flip them...
That makes sense to keep it lower. Maybe just flip one side angle? That would keep your spacing for the table and cot but still allow some more width for the slide out, but like you mentioned it will raise it all up still. Are you talking about the bump for the latch? I found the large radii in the bottom corners of the hatch surround to be the most in the way. Also do you plan on taking the floor/lid out to make use of the compartment down there?

2012 Metalic Blue PRO-4X<-- Mine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2011 Black PRO-4X <-- Hers
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 <-- Mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk136439 View Post
That makes sense to keep it lower. Maybe just flip one side angle? That would keep your spacing for the table and cot but still allow some more width for the slide out, but like you mentioned it will raise it all up still. Are you talking about the bump for the latch? I found the large radii in the bottom corners of the hatch surround to be the most in the way. Also do you plan on taking the floor/lid out to make use of the compartment down there?
If I understand you, both bumps you describe are annoying me in different ways. The wider I go I get into the large radii, the further forward (toward me standing facing the cargo area) I get into that little bump. The cutout I show in the latest photos clears both now, if I flip flop them it might still, I was a bit generous with my milling so I had a little breathing room, I can also move them rearward a bit possibly. I'm going to look and see before I decide. If you look at the first post photos, you see where I was trying to get away from them with an angled cut, but it wasn't nearly enough.

You are correct, the existing plastic floor panel will be removed before I install my new sliding platform. When the sliding platform is pulled out of the truck the entire under floor area will be exposed behind it. Actually the whole idea would be kinda wasteful if not for that little feature. Might be a bit of a reach, but a lot easier to access than emptying the cargo area. I actually would not store anything under there before, with the new setup I'll put infrequently used items under there.

The sliders lock in and lock out, so when I open the rear hatch the platform is locked and won't come sliding out at me unless I push down on both tabs. They are also rated to hold a 500lb load, so I'm hoping it's overkill for my use and should be comfortable with all my gear.

If I'm on level ground, I can pull it out to me and lock it so my stuff is closer and I have a table area under my rear hatch overhang. Most of my camp cooking supplies live there anyway, and if I calculated correctly, there is room for my cooler now as well on the platform. Before putting stuff in there made it hard to access, but when the cargo area comes out to you, my thought is it will be much easier to access stuff, and I can get away with putting some items toward the back without them being trapped.

Or that's the plan anyway.
Hawk136439 likes this.

2011 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X - 6 MT
Check out my:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Always glad to hear people get use out of a writeup.

Unfortunately I think you might find the HF cargo is going to be too wide to slide out of the back of the X. Assembled as intended to go into a receiver it's about 53 1/4" wide. You could assemble it without the 2" square tube, but I don't think it will clear even like that.
Thanks for posting it up, kind of the reason I went ahead and opened this thread in case anyone wanted to get some ideas. The discussion has been helpful in working out some details as well.

I probably described my intentions wrong, I woulden't intend for the HF rack to move. I am intending to assemble it without the 2" tube though, and try to offset it to the passenger side to see if I can still fit tall slim items in the drivers side like I was mentioning about my cot and camp table.

Right now I'm thinking of putting it on legs and making tabs off the slide rail mounts to bolt it to. I would like it to be kinda removable though, woulden't need to be quick but undo some bolts and set it out kind of deal.

Check out my:

-
-

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
I'm slowly working with it today.
@Hawk136439 I debated the angle wall inside vs. outside and test fit that in the truck like you talked about earlier and decided to keep them inside.

I definitely think it can be done but its going to add additional work in clearances. It was very close. If you planned ahead for it and built in some extra room, I'm sure out could be made to work if anyone wants to make a similar setup keep it in mind. It will make the setup higher but not much.

Personally for my camping setup, I think I would find the extra space in the side areas more useful for small gear so I'm not to concerned about losing the extra platform space.

Check out my:

-
-

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 02:14 PM
2012 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
@Airmapper I like it! cant wait to see it finished and put to use!

2012 Metalic Blue PRO-4X<-- Mine

2011 Black PRO-4X <-- Hers
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 <-- Mine
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Done a little bit more today, got the inner slide / platform mounts cut.

I don't think I'm going to do anything about it, but the slant of the floor I read about in other threads is apparent when you pull the slides out, they tilt down. I don't think it's enough to be a problem but it is noticeable.

Check out my:

-
-

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 10:12 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2011 Night Armor ❌terra Pro-4X

Garage
I saw a slide within a slide on expo so you had cargo slide then under it was a functional eating cooking prep table that slid out one fly more? I'm sure spacers could fix the slant. I've also always wondered if the need to level the table plays into the set up. If you have a rtt you would already be getting close to level anyways for sleep comfort anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know what this man needs, bring me the bourbon. -Cole Kehm
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Made some progress, have most of the metal work done.

The platform is test fit and in position. Works as planned and does not seem to rattle, once all the fasteners are in I expect it will only be more rigid. I only have the minimum needed to hold it in now.

Still debating on how to attach the upper shelf, might be able to share the bolts into the floor tracks, I'm not going to give up my clean mounting if I can help it. It's all one project but two separate pieces, I intend to make it possible to have the slide and shelf, or each individually if needed.

Major items next are cutting the plywood for the floor and carpeting it, and getting the hardware for the tie down system.

At some point once I'm sure I'm done with the metal pieces I'll smooth all the corners with a grinder and prep them for paint. I'm in no hurry for that since the cool weather has not been favorable for painting anyway.

Check out my:

-
-

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2011 Night Armor ❌terra Pro-4X

Garage
Lookin good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know what this man needs, bring me the bourbon. -Cole Kehm
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Garage
Well it looks like Tapatalk photos crap out after a while? I'll have to make a hosted album and go back and edit them back in.

No pics from this weekend but I got some more work done. I ground my welds, smoothed the corners, wire wheeled the tray and got some paint on. It's gotten to cold to shoot spray paint when I have time to paint, so I'm kind of hung there until it warms up. (I'm far enough south even this late in the year I'll still get 60 degree days sometimes, actually today is perfect weather but I had to work and a cold blast for next weekend, ugh....)

The plywood floor is cut and fitted, feels very sturdy, and my carpet is cut also waiting on suitable temps to get glued. The carpet should give it a nice appearance and friction so items don't want to slide around.

Today I placed an order for cargo containment fixtures, carpet alone won't contain heavy objects off pavement. It's pretty neat stuff I hope works well for this application. This will be the feature that kinda makes it worthwhile, because a simple sliding platform isn't much unless what you put on it stays there. I wanted something universal and versatile enough to make custom fixtures to simply snap common items in, yet still be able to throw any odd or unexpected item on there and make it stay put.

Check out my:

-
-

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Xterra Projects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode