CCG's Take on a Drop-in Basket - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Well then...
2011 Avalanche White ❌terra X

Garage
CCG's Take on a Drop-in Basket

11/09/2017 - I think I'm done:

I've painted the rack and hopefully won't be having to take it back down again. I have to do some testing in the parking garages my wife has to drive into for work, however, I am considering this one a done-so.

I've been thinking about this project since before I purchased my X. I love the satisfaction of getting a job done myself, even if it isn't completely perfect. Beyond that, my budget is limited unless I end up coming into a lot of money somehow... still working on that one.

Spotty warnings:

-My welding is spotty
-My welder is nice, but I don't know what I'm doing hardly
-One thing is spottier than my welds, my measurements

My requirements for a rack:

-Needs to be sturdy
-I end up driving in low-clearance garages, I need to be able to clear them
-I would like to be able to hold two of the cheap Costco gas cans in a designated framing
-Must be somewhat easy to remove

Threads where credit is due in one or more ways:
@Surf and Snow 's Drop-in Roof Rack: Surf and Snow's Version with Integrated Lock Box

@jr_ss 's My First Shot at a Roof Basket...

@JOSX2 's How-to: JOSX2's No-weld DIY Roof Rack

**DISCLAIMER: this was a weekend project for me and still a work in progress. Although I encourage folks to get their tools out and try something, please use common sense: be careful and have fun**

What is cost me:

**I lost some of the receipts, so it's mostly a ballpark estimate**

50 feet of 1" by .095 square tubing from my local supplier: $60
Welding Magnets, Saw, Saw blades: $90
Paint, primer, prepping materials: $60
Raingler net: $148
Elastic tie-downs: $8

Grand total: $366**

**I counted the price of the net, because after all unless you have something to tie it all down with, what's the point right?

Now for the fun stuff:

I had a long weekend off so I started by hitting Harbor Freight for a 14" Cut off Saw and some basic supplies. We also hit the local steel supplier and an auto parts store for a muffler pipe and clamps. Then, the fun began.

10/31/2017 - The last two days have been a lot of test fitting, cutting and cleaning up my dirty welds. I did some pre-running of where some of the basic camping gear goes and finished fabbing the spot where the jerry cans will go. You can't see very well in the photos but I've welded 1/8" thick tabs for tie down spots. I still need to get the materials for the extended floor as well as paint, primer and prepping materials.

JOSX2, jr_ss, 29erClan and 1 others like this.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ccg1018; 11-09-2017 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Providing update to original post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 11:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

Nice work so far! One note: you may want to add a few more rungs to each of your floor sections. Those large gaps will be problematic for things like firewood, gas cans, water jugs etc. As they will want to fall through to to metal roof unless located just right. That's one reason I went with 4 "ladder" sections instead of 3 and went with about 8" spacing between rungs.

Mine:

LBX likes this.

Support small businesses that support us! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 11:57 PM
Veteran
2012 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Looking good so far. Expanded metal is another option for the flooring. Along with preventing things from falling through it provides a lot of tie down locations.

Mine in the early stages.

As long as you test fit you're good, but for some reason I'm thinking the rear stock rack legs are a bit narrower than anywhere else but I can't remember for sure.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 12:28 AM

Garage
Suddenly I'm inspired to build my drop in rack for my 1st gen. mmmmmm
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Well then...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf and Snow View Post
Nice work so far! One note: you may want to add a few more rungs to each of your floor sections. Those large gaps will be problematic for things like firewood, gas cans, water jugs etc. As they will want to fall through to to metal roof unless located just right. That's one reason I went with 4 "ladder" sections instead of 3 and went with about 8" spacing between rungs.
Thanks for the advice, yours was probably my biggest inspiration. I believe I'll be welding a floor in, don't want to scratch up the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
Looking good so far. Expanded metal is another option for the flooring. Along with preventing things from falling through it provides a lot of tie down locations.

As long as you test fit you're good, but for some reason I'm thinking the rear stock rack legs are a bit narrower than anywhere else but I can't remember for sure.
That is exactly what I'm thinking, yours looks sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin562 View Post
Suddenly I'm inspired to build my drop in rack for my 1st gen. mmmmmm
Do it! If you have a welder and grinder you're way ahead of the ball game. I think I've spent about $90 so far in materials + the saw I purchased. I have all of the receipts, I'll be adding a budget section to the original post once I'm done.

Click Here for >
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 12:05 PM
Veteran
2010 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

Garage
Looks solid! Are you using Por15 to add rust inhibiting to the steel before painting it?

SPC UCA's|Ext. Radflo 2.0's|Bilstein 5165's|DAAL|HeftyFab sliders
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Well then...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Looks solid! Are you using Por15 to add rust inhibiting to the steel before painting it?
I think I'm going with a primer and spray can. Rust is rarely an issue out here in the desert unless things sit for literal years in the weather.

Click Here for >
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 02:57 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra S 4x4

Garage
I like that toolbox you have on the roof. What are the dimensions and where did you get it?

"Terrin"
"It's NOT a van..."

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Well then...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by charpe3 View Post
I like that toolbox you have on the roof. What are the dimensions and where did you get it?
That is @Surf and Snow 's rack, check the link in the original post to his build thread.

Click Here for >
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Well then...

Garage
Added 10/31 update to original post.

Click Here for >

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Xterra Projects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode