Auxiliary Gas Tank Install: Complete - Page 11 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Updated the initial post and changed the title. I still need to take some pictures of the plumbing and post those up as a reference.
mtnbound likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:57 AM
Senior Member / (Q4WC) Club Moderator
2013 Silver Lightning ❌terra TS/LCKD/4.10 33's S

Garage
So I’m 100% in if the shop is prepared to have a kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trabkabab likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #103 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:21 AM
Supporting Member
2011 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

Very Very Cool!

and

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.

post #104 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 11:06 AM
Supporting Member - “WAMPA”
2008 Avalanche White ❌terra Off Road

Bad ass!🤘🤘🤘 on the “to do” list! ❤️

Click Here form >
post #105 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 03:18 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

Very Nice!

post #106 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 12:17 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2005 Xterra OR 5AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhullD View Post
Updated the initial post and changed the title. I still need to take some pictures of the plumbing and post those up as a reference.

Just a couple questions as I’m super interested in performing this mod... How long does it take to fill both tanks at the pump? And are you now spending closer to $80 a fill up? Also, what is you new range with both tanks? Just trying to see if it’s worth the work to install vs carry jerry cans. Thx! Awesome work!!!
post #107 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
NewX’er 4life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Kolohe_boi View Post
Just a couple questions as I’m super interested in performing this mod... How long does it take to fill both tanks at the pump? And are you now spending closer to $80 a fill up? Also, what is you new range with both tanks? Just trying to see if it’s worth the work to install vs carry jerry cans. Thx! Awesome work!!!
I get the truck back next week, I can answer these questions accurately then. What I can tell you is the tank is 19 gallons, so the extra range and cost is just a matter of adding it to your existing mileage/cost. It's definitely a luxury item, but I feel it has some benefits.

1. Center of gravity is kept low
2. No need to fill individual cans
3. Less likely to be stolen (I know some who have had their cans stolen while eating at a restaurant or at a motel)
4. No need to stop to transfer fuel (nice in bad weather or buggy enviro)
5. Saves cargo space
Kirzzy and scoyoc like this.

post #108 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 12:38 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2005 Xterra OR 5AT

Wondering with the new weight addition if you’ll have to beef up the suspension- unless you’re already set up for the extra weight
I do like the lower center of gravity tho. We have a lot of “jeep” trails in AZ and with our limited (I’m still stock with tired suspension) independent suspension it gets really tippy. I don’t let that stop me from getting out on the trails while I save up to Titan swap - the X platform is an incredibly capable off road rig stock!
post #109 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
NewX’er 4life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Kolohe_boi View Post
Wondering with the new weight addition if you’ll have to beef up the suspension- unless you’re already set up for the extra weight
I do like the lower center of gravity tho. We have a lot of “jeep” trails in AZ and with our limited (I’m still stock with tired suspension) independent suspension it gets really tippy. I don’t let that stop me from getting out on the trails while I save up to Titan swap - the X platform is an incredibly capable off road rig stock!
I bought Alcans rated at +800lbs knowing I was doing this. 19 gallon is about 120lbs plus the cage, skid, tank and pump assembly. You'd be close to the 200lbs mark of additional weight.
scoyoc and 1Kolohe_boi like this.

post #110 of 118 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
NewX’er 4life

Garage
Got it back. I'll be updating the first post with better pictures and explanations of what was done to achieve the end goal (mostly the plumbing) sometime tonight.

I am sad to report the shop is not interested in replicating kits so I'll make sure to include a bunch of diagrams and such as well as some part numbers for those interested in tackling this. My cost was approximately $2700 USD for labor and parts, with parts accounting for approximately $900 USD. Keep in mind we pay a premium for shipping and mark-up in Canada so the parts cost is likely a good 10-15% less in the US and I went with aluminum for the skid (cost and welding time increased a bit). Additionally, a large part of the labor was figuring stuff out and testing so someone tackling this with all my experiences should come in a lot lower for labor. I will break everything down later tonight.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Xterra Projects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in