Auxiliary Gas Tank Install: Complete - Page 10 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
NewX’er 4life
2015 Super Black ❌terra Pro-4X 6MT Limited

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Io View Post
Maybe this was already addressed, but will this be available to purchase?
I could ask the shop what they would charge to replicate the custom parts as a kit and you could buy the OEM items yourself (gas tank, fuel pump etc.).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
NewX’er 4life

Garage
Update:

I've asked the shop about possibly making extras once this one is done. They are on the fence about it with tire season around the corner. I told them you could do it on slow days and they liked the idea but did not confirm it would happen. All the measurements are being taken down for future use. The cage/skid is 100% bolt on using existing frame mounts so if it were theoretically sold as a product you wouldn't need to do any welding.

Latest pics below with the tank and cage mounted. The skid is about a 1/2" above the exhaust and 3" above the shackles in the pictures, but will be moved up about 1/2"-1" leaving a 1/2" and a bit gap between the skid and the gas tank.

While you could move the skid up a bit more, if the tank were to move on a big hit (especially at speed) you risk damaging the sending unit if it makes contact with the floor. With the gap you protect the tank a little more. I've had the truck slip back while climbing an obstacle and hit the hitch and bumper. Had the rock been shaped differently it might have hit a shackle or this skid, so to me the gap makes sense just in case.
Blind_Io, VMBiohazard and Nasarno like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
NewX’er 4life

Garage
Updated pics now that the tank skid is where I like it:

Also here is the start of the filler portion that will separate the gas into the two tanks:

scoyoc, Nasarno, GDPearson and 2 others like this.

post #94 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
NewX’er 4life

Garage
Also notice the lack of rust on my truck which sees moderate driving in the winter....oil spray every fall!
GDPearson, Mmac24 and nwcoffeeguy like this.

post #95 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 05:31 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Xterra "S" for sexxxxyyyyy!

Garage
Duuuuude.... that is sick!
PhullD likes this.

Mods: Goodyear Duratrac 285/75-16s, Melt Mod, JWT 1200kg clutch and solid flywheel, Rancho Replace-A-Leaf and Coastal Offroad 3/16" plate high clearance front bumper kit (weld-it-yourself kit). Next up on the list is the Coastal Offroad Rear bumper kit with side wings.... And maybe a Grizzly lunchbox locker!
post #96 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
NewX’er 4life

Garage
Couple more of the tank in place without the skid. Waiting on parts to finish the rest.

post #97 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:07 AM
Noobie

Auxiliary Gas Tank: Planning

I just started following this thread and I love where this is going. Do you think this can also work with the Frontiers? It would be awesome if they came out with a kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #98 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
NewX’er 4life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Krishland View Post
I just started following this thread and I love where this is going. Do you think this can also work with the Frontiers? It would be awesome if they came out with a kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The cage and/or filler splitter would have to be modified to work with a Frontier. I will have access to one in the summer if the shop wants to go that route. Right now I'm not 100% sure they will go through with a kit for the Xterra.

post #99 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:45 AM

Looks awesome. I'd buy it!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
post #100 of 109 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
NewX’er 4life

Garage
Mostly done. The shop wants to do a bit of testing still. It takes about 15 min to do half on the OEM pump, 30min to completely empty but I'll have to do an exact calculation again when it's running. If you use a higher performance pump (less warranty) it can go much faster. The gauge flashes when it lowers to 10% to remind you the pump is running and the tank is getting low.
scoyoc and GDPearson like this.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Xterra Projects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode