Drop-in Basket Concept - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
2012 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Drop-in Basket Concept

So I'm thinking about building a drop in basket of my own and thought I would bounce the design off some of you guys before I pull the trigger and order the steel. The entire thing will be made out of 2"x2"x1/8" angle iron and 1"x1/8" flat bar with an expanded metal floor. I wanted to make it as deep as possible so things aren't sticking too high up when its loaded and the plan is for it to sit on only the bars of the roofrack and not the end mount plastics. I was thinking if it is between raised plastic parts of the roof rack I could weld some low-prow unistrut on it that extends from the front of the wetbox to the very back of the rack. I'm hoping to use exhaust clamps and carriage bolts to mount it and keep a smooth looking top without drilling into the factory rack but I might just end up drilling instead.

My main questions are as follows:

1) Do I have the right dimensions? Yesterday I measured right around 32" between the bars but saw 31" mentioned in other custom basket threads. Likewise I measured 3.75" from roof to top of factory bar but haven't seen it mentioned in other threads.

2) Do you think it will hold together? The heaviest thing I will ever throw up there is a small Honda generator (~30lbs?) or a couple 5 gallon gas cans.

3) Any improvements to add to the design before I start building?

Here are some pictures of my design and an attached drawing pdf as well:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf basket.pdf (30.7 KB, 11 views)
VMBiohazard likes this.

2012 Metalic Blue PRO-4X<-- Mine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2011 Black PRO-4X <-- Hers
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 <-- Mine

Last edited by Hawk136439; 11-02-2017 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Fixing photo links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This is what I meant about the unistrut along the roof rails which would then allow you to use a fey more pieces of unistrut as movable cross bars for accessories like kayak rack and roof top boxes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Hawk136439; 07-20-2017 at 09:29 AM.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 02:42 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

My rack is basically flush with the top of the factory bar as checked with a straight edge. I can measure anywhere from 3.5" to 4.5" from the roof to the top of my rack depending on where I check.
Hawk136439 likes this.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Supporting Member
2011 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

Just gonna throw his out there.... MaxGear Drop in basket. Don't know what the price is, but they're butch.
Hawk136439 likes this.

and

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
My rack is basically flush with the top of the factory bar as checked with a straight edge. I can measure anywhere from 3.5" to 4.5" from the roof to the top of my rack depending on where I check.
Thanks! I figured on keeping it around 3.5" deep just be safe

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Veteran
2013 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM1RU View Post
Just gonna throw his out there.... MaxGear Drop in basket. Don't know what the price is, but they're butch.
Looks like he's shooting for around $400. Got his latest catalog the other day and he has them listed now. Looks pretty sick and a good contender to the Dephep one. Love how he's taken into account all the stuff people usually strap onto the bars from the get go.

Nissan Off-Roaders of the SouthEast (N.O.R.S.E.), Virginia Xterra Club (VAXC)
OverlandBound member #16797 "Adventr-X" Adventure is necessary.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk136439 View Post
Thanks! I figured on keeping it around 3.5" deep just be safe
Going off of my measurements 3.5" deep would touch the roof. I'd suggest taking something with a straight edge, like a 4' steel rule, and attaching a 12" rule to it sticking out 3.5" and putting that on the factory rails so you can see the clearance you've got. If my 3.5" measurement is indeed right I'd only go 3" deep at the most figuring you may have sag with weight on the rack, the material the rack is made of won't all be straight, and the body also flexes. I'd be real unhappy if I rubbed the paint off my roof
Hawk136439 likes this.

Last edited by Longboardr; 05-11-2017 at 03:21 PM.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM1RU View Post
I think I saw what you're talking about, does he have a website or something I haven't figured out how to order his products. Also the materials for this should only cost around $150 with the expanded metal floor and unistrut so that's kind of a hard price for anyone to beat and then they would have to ship it.

I'm not trying to knock anyone's products (I'm pretty sure a blind woodchuck might be a better welder than me) I just enjoy building things and saving a few bucks and figure this should be a simple enough project to learn on.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 03:27 PM
Caretaker of The Minion

2005 (w/a little 2010) === SE/OffRoad ❌=== EW3 Solar Yellow

Garage
FYI if ya haven't seen my DIY version: https://www.thenewx.org/forum/23-exte...ml#post2613009

strong enough to hold at least my skinny @ss standing on it....150lbs ;-)
Hawk136439 likes this.

-|-

on Instagram

(North Carolina Xterra Club)

(Nissan Offroad Association of the Southeast)
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Veteran
2013 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk136439 View Post
I think I saw what you're talking about, does he have a website or something I haven't figured out how to order his products. Also the materials for this should only cost around $150 with the expanded metal floor and unistrut so that's kind of a hard price for anyone to beat and then they would have to ship it.

I'm not trying to knock anyone's products (I'm pretty sure a blind woodchuck might be a better welder than me) I just enjoy building things and saving a few bucks and figure this should be a simple enough project to learn on.
He doesn't have a website but you can get a product catalog by emailing him. [email protected]

I think he has an instagram too but I'm not sure of it as I don't use IG.
Hawk136439 likes this.

Nissan Off-Roaders of the SouthEast (N.O.R.S.E.), Virginia Xterra Club (VAXC)
OverlandBound member #16797 "Adventr-X" Adventure is necessary.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Xterra Projects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode