Drop-in Basket Concept - Page 4 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
2012 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Well after a good few months of use I thought I'd update this thread. The basket is still holding strong and worked like a dream for a road trip to upstate New York in July. That trip was one of the biggest reasons for building the basket because I knew I needed a place to store a generator as well as gear. Using the unistrut crossbars allowed us to mount a Yakima Rocketbox and still have enough room to sit a generator next to it. Here are a few photos of test fitting everything up there and then a couple shots when we were on the road to New York.

LoneLeaf likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Found a good deal on some Wavian NATO style jerry cans and picked up a 10l and 20l last weekend and decided see how ell the basket could be packed with what I have for camping gear. So far it seems that 2 Plano 30" Truck boxes, one 8gal. Action Packer and 2 20l Jerry cans fill it up pretty well.

There Is still some wasted space and I need to come up with a good cargo net to hold everything down but it was nice to load it all up and see what would fit.

I have some ideas for a version 2.0 that bolts together and is made of low-pro unistrut that will use a little more of the roof space available.
outback97 and kolsky like this.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 12:28 AM
TNX Realm Noobie
2011 Xterra Pro-4x

Garage
You ever finish version 2?

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualsuplex View Post
No I never got a chance to put Version 2.0 together most due to budget. the current one has been working just fine.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualsuplex View Post
So not to dig up a dead thread but I finally decided to model up the V2.0 idea I had. This option might be about the same cost as V1.0 but is all bolt together so a little more DIY friendly.

This is the general shape with some added length over V1.0 so as to maximize usable area.

This is with V1.0 overlayed to show the difference in length. The plan would be to also include a piece of aluminium angle at/around the back to prevent cargo from sliding off.

According to my modeling software, V2.0 would be about 5lbs lighter than V1.0 but the hardware was not accounted for in this calc and might make up that difference. V2.0 would also place the cargo a bit higher than V1.0 so there's that too.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Xterra Projects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode