Drop-in Basket Concept - Page 3 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 06:35 PM
2012 Xterra S ....As in Sorry I didn't get a Pro-4X

Are or have you done any load tolerance testing on it yet? I'm designing and welding a rack for mine too and didn't think shying away from tubing would provide enough strength. Though, I suppose it only needs to be strong enough to hold what you are tossing up there.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
2012 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-X-Guy View Post
Are or have you done any load tolerance testing on it yet? I'm designing and welding a rack for mine too and didn't think shying away from tubing would provide enough strength. Though, I suppose it only needs to be strong enough to hold what you are tossing up there.

No I have not done any testing or simulations on this design and I don't really plan on doing any. I have learned a lot while building this and might attempt a version 2 in the future just because it was a pretty fun project. I know the outer frame isn't going to fail from anything I could throw at it but the flat stock floor I'm having some second thoughts about. My plan is to throw something in the basket as a floor but that will likely add enough thickness that I should have done tubing to begin with. I guess time will tell and I'll try and remember to keep this thread updated as time goes on.

2012 Metalic Blue PRO-4X<-- Mine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2011 Black PRO-4X <-- Hers
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 <-- Mine
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:21 AM
Veteran
2011 XTERRA P R O - 4 X Night Armor [Gray]

Garage
Just a thought on the cross bars to save weight instead of using square tubing but still increasing the strength and rigidity you could always use 1" angle iron with the wide side up and the 90° down or just on it's edge. Either way it would be half the weight of square tubing.

Something like this:

Get outdoors and have some fun!

Build Page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gone but not forgotten: 1983 Datsun 280ZX Turbo 5 Speed

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update 05/25/2017:

This thing is done!!!!! It didn't turn out exactly how I had planned or hoped but I'm still happy it's finished and proud that I did it myself.

Photobucket is being a pain right now so I'll have to share the finished pictures later...
Allshookup likes this.

post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allshookup View Post
Just a thought on the cross bars to save weight instead of using square tubing but still increasing the strength and rigidity you could always use 1" angle iron with the wide side up and the 90° down or just on it's edge. Either way it would be half the weight of square tubing.

Something like this:
I had though about that as well but planned on it being too close to the roof to pull that off. Now that it is mounted, it definitely came up high enough to use the angle which might be part of version 2.

post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 11:53 AM

Did you grind off all of the electro galvanized finish off the superstrut to weld it? I love that stuff but never considered welding it because of that unique finish they put on it.

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert-X-Guy View Post
Did you grind off all of the electro galvanized finish off the superstrut to weld it? I love that stuff but never considered welding it because of that unique finish they put on it.

Yes I ground the finish everywhere that I welded but that still wasn't enough, During welding the finish started flaking off from the heat so I held my breath, kept the garage door open, and got it done as quickly as possible because welding on galvanized material is a big no no and makes some fumes you don't want to be around.

post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk136439 View Post
Yes I ground the finish everywhere that I welded but that still wasn't enough, During welding the finish started flaking off from the heat so I held my breath, kept the garage door open, and got it done as quickly as possible because welding on galvanized material is a big no no and makes some fumes you don't want to be around.
Lol, you should be wearing a respirator anytime you weld anything (they make low profile ones to fit under your mask) and I only weld galvanized outside and with a couple high cfm fans to help with fumes.

I figured that finish would be a nightmare. Great stuff for lots of things but welding... Not so much

post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Photobucket is back to working!!!!

Here's the basket all bolted to the roof:

And here are the low pro unistrut cross bars added. I made sure to tighten these down with my tool kit under the back seat so I know I can adjust their position anytime I need too. Also have one more extra in the garage that I'm thinking about using for a bicycle fork mount in that back of the Xterra.

Last edited by Hawk136439; 07-20-2017 at 10:22 AM.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Just a little update on the basket, I've been using it to haul kayaks the last couple Fridays with the wife and threw a dewalt tough box up there for giggles:

I did mess up and get bolts that were a little too long but found that they can be easily shortened on a bench grinder. If anyone is interested in the correct length bolts to use in lowpro unistrut I can get a measurement later.

Last edited by Hawk136439; 07-20-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Xterra Projects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode