DIY: Hatch Ladder - Page 12 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #111 of 125 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 09:54 PM
Veteran
2010 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29erClan View Post
The round tube version started a few posts back. If you can zoom in on the photo you can make out the C-channel notches on the step tops. I just bent them out of the way with pliers as best I could for the test fit. If you want the set of steps shown there I'd be happy to mail em off and see what you can do with that mandrel bender. The poor fit of the square-peg/round-hole and the side tilt is beyond my skill for now. Maybe a well-placed hole saw would do it. Anyway, the shop ownership change means I no longer have access to any tools since the new owners don't owe me any favors. Yet...

The mounts are just gapped 180 bends that fit over the hatch panel (with rubber/foam tape/etc) then you bolt the 2 parts together so they clamp and hold it on tight.
Im not saying I have the skill level to pull this off. It's a compound bend and I don't know if I could truly bend it to follow the contour of the rear hatch. What I would do is bend the top for an offset much like the Gobi, then weld the steps on from there.

Most likely the steps would have to be notched with a hole saw, but that's not really a big deal.

It's up to you whether you send them or not. I know you said your daughter liked it and I'm not about to take a child's toy for my own.

Pm me if interested, I could send a couple bucks for your trouble if you do decide to part with them.

SPC UCA's|Ext. Radflo 2.0's|Bilstein 5165's|DAAL|HeftyFab sliders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 125 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2009 Avalanche White ❌terra OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Im not saying I have the skill level to pull this off. It's a compound bend and I don't know if I could truly bend it to follow the contour of the rear hatch. What I would do is bend the top for an offset much like the Gobi, then weld the steps on from there.

Most likely the steps would have to be notched with a hole saw, but that's not really a big deal.

It's up to you whether you send them or not. I know you said your daughter liked it and I'm not about to take a child's toy for my own.

Pm me if interested, I could send a couple bucks for your trouble if you do decide to part with them.
Yup, compound in some places, not others. I used a JD2 to make the tight bends on the ends, and a cheapo HF tube roller to do the 75"-ish large bend parts after. R75 was what I was aiming for in those photos. I think R60 and R90 might work out better from the back view, but R75 seems to have been real nice from the hatch profile / side view.

Easier said when you have a 1" hole saw... lol

Don't worry about her, I'll keep her busy re-painting all the faded plastic. Maybe.

PM sent. Parting will not be much sorrow, I still like the original. It already has the rotopax/qwikfist stuff setup on it.
post #113 of 125 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 04:30 PM
Veteran
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra Off Road

There should be complete drawings of both steps, ladder frame and assembly in the drawings I did...

post #114 of 125 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk136439 View Post
So I just had the formed ladder frame quoted in steel to be cut and bent (No Welding) in the hopes of making the main frame assembly a little easier on me and the price break for multiples was quite drastic:

1 - $285
2 - $150 ea
4 - $89.50 ea

So I have now asked how much it would cost to have it welded and also if a larger price break can be had if 10 are ordered. I will be leaving tonight on vacation but after I get back I will try and make a set of assembly drawings and get complete ladders quoted to see if it would be worth setting up a MPS group buy of some sort. I have not looked into doing such things on this site and apologize if this is against the rules. My plan would be similar to what has been mentioned in this thread, I will add no markup to the cost of these. I just want to see another ladder option out there for our trucks and would love if we could get them cheaper than the Gobi!

@29erClan would you happen to have an assembly drawing of the ladder that shows where to weld the steps and mount brackets? If I can get it out today I might have a response waiting when I get back in a week.
I'd be interested. I'd like to get an aluminum version and sell my steel one.

I can tell you that the drawings I did do not call out specific weld locations. I guess I figured it was a simple enough assembly that an experienced welder would know where to weld as long as they knew what went where. Just need to make it rigid, really.
Hawk136439 likes this.
post #115 of 125 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 05:11 PM
Veteran
2007 Silver Lightning Xterra Off Road 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebuck View Post
I can tell you that the drawings I did do not call out specific weld locations. I guess I figured it was a simple enough assembly that an experienced welder would know where to weld as long as they knew what went where. Just need to make it rigid, really.
There are 2 different types of steps, is this important? I couldn't find labels of which angle step goes where.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: 392

Got extra time and money? Start Here:
post #116 of 125 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 06:55 PM
Veteran
2007 Midnight Blue Xterra S 4x4

Garage
So let's maybe setup a group buy thread to gauge interest once we have a fab shop. I wantz me a ladder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #117 of 125 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 06:59 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_attack View Post
There are 2 different types of steps, is this important? I couldn't find labels of which angle step goes where.
Ill see if i can update the drawings to make it more clear.

But to answer your question - there are only 2 different steps: 0* and the angled one (cant recall the angle). the 0* step goes on the "lower" vertical portion of the ladder frame. the angled step(s) go on the "upper" angled portion of the ladder frame
zach_attack likes this.
post #118 of 125 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2009 Avalanche White ❌terra OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebuck View Post
I'd be interested. I'd like to get an aluminum version and sell my steel one.

I can tell you that the drawings I did do not call out specific weld locations. ...
I'm sorry to say I just sent off all my spare aluminum leftover parts to @jr_ss. If I manage to make nice with the new owner of my buddy's shop, do some favors for them probably, I have a decent chance to get back in. Though it might be easier since @Hawk136439 found a willing shop to ask for aluminum kits as well. I'll let you know if I get shop access again, I'd certainly be willing to make a kit for you when I get the chance.

Yep, I was pretty sure you had nice detailed part, flat, and assembly drawings. I just couldn't remember if I saw the little weld flags anywhere in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_attack View Post
There's 2 types and 2 angles for each type. I'm not sure which you mean, but here goes...
-Type 1 is for fitting to square tube. Type 2 fits the bent sheet profile. I'm now looking at a type 3 for bendy round tube, but it doesn't exist yet.
-Each type has a vertical and tilted angle version. The vertical version is bent at 90 and goes on the lower section that should be more or less vertical. The angled step version is laid back 10-15 degrees (you can adjust a bit when you bend/weld it on) and is intended for the upper section that follows the glass. The back side gets bent 10-15 degrees past 90. The fronts are all bent 135 and the little side triangles are all 90 bends.
zach_attack likes this.
post #119 of 125 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 07:54 PM
Veteran
2010 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

Garage
@29erClan- I'll take good care of them. I have a few ideas in my head right now. I just need to get the pieces and material and start mocking things up.

I'd much prefer an aluminum ladder over steel. Less weight, no corrosion and no need to special shocks for the gate. It's a win, win, win all a round.

SPC UCA's|Ext. Radflo 2.0's|Bilstein 5165's|DAAL|HeftyFab sliders
post #120 of 125 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 01:04 PM
2005 Night Armor Xterra SE 4x4

Great thread! I'll be welding one up this weekend.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Xterra Projects

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode