Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Scanner / Transmitters?

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Brandon1968 
#1 ·
Im a ranger in Yellowstone and live my life by our dispatch radio for reaponding to emergencies and wildlife response, id really love to get a scanner (preferably with a transmitter as im legally allowed to transmit on those freqs) so i dont have to carry my handheld with me everywhere when im driving.my POV, has anyone here done this for their X (or other vehicle) and if so what brand did you go with?

#2 ·
Depends on what frequencies NPS is using. At one time I had a Bearcat 200 scanner in the truck, that I used to listen to calls with, but since things have gone to trunking it isn't the best anymore so I donated it to the local Goodwill.

BTW... AFAIK, scanners don't transmit, but I'm not up on all that stuff anymore.

#3 ·
#4 ·
You can purchase commercial radios and have them set-up with your frequencies. You'll probably want to talk to your supervisor and find out who they buy from and go through them. They will already have your frequency set and be able to set you up with the proper antenna as well.

You may even be able to find and purchase a used unit from eVILBay and have the company you use program it for you.

#5 ·
Looks like the various nets run in the 166-172mhz range. Most dual band ham radios will receive that.

If you want to transmit, you'll need one with a MARS mod.

I have a Icom id-5100 and a 4100, both of which I like and can be MARS modded. They also do dstar, but that might be more than you want if you just want ranger nets.

Do you have a ham license?

#6 ·
Looks like the various nets run in the 166-172mhz range. Most dual band ham radios will receive that.

If you want to transmit, you'll need one with a MARS mod.
Correct me if I'm wrong (still new to the ham world), but shouldn't any modern VHF radio allow RX/TX over 166-172? Both VHF capable radios I have span RX/TX over 136 to 174.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#8 ·
You are wrong. Proper "type accepted" radios don't allow TX outside of the ham bands. A lot of the cheap Chinese radios do but they are not type accepted for amateur radio.

MARS mod requires MARS certifications to have the work done because it sets the radios up to be able to operate in frequency ranges where civilians aren't allowed as well as radio services which require specific licenses and where you are often issued a set of frequencies for use in a particular geographic region based on potential for interference with other licensed users.

#11 ·
You are wrong. Proper "type accepted" radios don't allow TX outside of the ham bands. A lot of the cheap Chinese radios do but they are not type accepted for amateur radio.
Makes sense to me, and these were Chinese radios I was referring to that span 136-174 rather than 144-148. I know the FCC released a statement regarding them last fall and the ARRL released their own in response in early October, but it sounds like the two aren't quite on the same page regarding their use on amateur bands.

Regardless, from the replies in this thread it sounds like the Chinese radios are a no-go even though they physically can transmit on the target frequencies. This is due to the device's lack of FCC certification for the target frequencies. Then there is the license issue, which means even if the device in question was FCC-approved to transmit in the target frequencies (either by original design or sanctioned MARS mod), the ranger couldn't do so because the device was set up by him (a user) and not the actual license holder (who is responsible for the setup, allocation, and maintenance of ranger radios). Is all of that correct?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#10 ·
You have to be careful. It's not cut and dry as it seems. Being a Ranger means you can use the service radios issued to you, it does not give you license to set up your own radio to work in that system. You are simply a user, the license is to your department or whoever is in charge of maintaining the equipment. They hand you a radio rigged so you can't screw anything up. By setting up the radio on your own, you take on all the responsibilities of selecting the right equipment and configuring the frequencies and modes that would normally be handled either by a trained individual in your department, or a outside radio service vendor.

I agree with the suggestion already made that the most legit way to proceed if you want a 2-way mobile, is to see if your department will let you have one, and work with whoever manages your system to get you the right equipment and set it up, if you buy it yourself or whatever.

If you can settle for receive only, understand different states have varying rules on if you can even have a scanner or equipment capable of picking up public service frequencies in the vehicle. Being a Ranger with a legitimate need may not matter. In my state, I'm actually permitted to have equipment capable of receiving public services frequencies in my vehicle, I'm exempted from the state law because of my ham license, a provision at federal law level also echoed in state law covering this.

But lets say a firemen wanted one, he could not unless it was a radio issued by his dept. to only pick up the frequencies they use. My FCC license trumps their actual use, which sounds crazy but falls back to the responsibility of the ham licensee over radio matters and they trust a licensed individual is unlikely to abuse it. In that case, it might be more practical for the fireman to become a licensed ham, but it's still not going to let him transmit.

#13 ·
Yeah by the sounds of it I think at this point its a terrible idea for me to try and be able transmit with my own equipment, I do know for a fact that recieving is perfectly legal here in Wyoming and some of the regular wildlife photographers listen in on us all the time to find out when we're responding to Grizzlies. I think ill play the safe card and just go for recieving only until i have a better understanding of what Im legally allowed to do, thanks all for the advice!

#14 ·
You have to remember also that just because a vhf/uhf radio designed for the Ham bands has a MARS mod available doesn't mean that the radio can produce a clean signal outside the frequency range it was designed for. And it is also true, as stated before, that you can't just go out a purchase your own radio for use on your job without explicit permission of the holder/maintainer of the FCC license. You are only authorized to use those frequencies when you are on the job only if the holder/maintainer gives you permission.

Exception would be people who use MURS/FRS, like the flaggers on the road crews. Technically they need a license but nobody really cares. You don't need a MARS license to have a MARS mod done to a radio. You only need the authorization from MARS to transmit on those designated frequencies. I know here in Pennsylvania there isn't any vhf/uhf MARS frequencies in use anymore. CAP on the other hand...

I wouldn't suggest buying a ham radio to use outside the ham bands unless you are a licensed amateur. Too much temptation to transmit on the ham bands. Stick to using a scanner or get a license.

I also want to point out that the authorities cannot ban "scanners". If they do that they need to ban am/fm radios and TV's. What do all these have in common? The "receive" radio waves. A "scanner" is only a receiver.

I was stopped by a cop who said my scanner was illegal (not here in PA) because it received police traffic. I showed him my vhf/uhf HT and asked him if that was illegal too. He said no. I asked him why. He said because it isn't a scanner. I pointed out to him that it received police on it. I also pointed out to him that it could also transmit on those frequencies. So, my HT isn't illegal but my scanner is, hmmm. All bullshit. But I eventually showed him my amateur radio license and said that the federal government says I can utilize my "scanner" and that trumps any state law. He couldn't argue over that. He also couldn't give me any references to where in the state law it stated that "scanners" are illegal. Couldn't even say if it was a civil or criminal law. I respect law enforcement but I don't respect idiot cops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.