Carrying a Canoe - Page 3 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:33 PM
Veteran
2006 & 2009 Red Brawn & Navy Blue Xterra OR's

Great thread! We just acquired a 25 year old Mad River Explorer in Kevlar and are excited to get it out on the water. Since we live in a desert there's no getting around having to haul a canoe some distance to use it, so I wanted to make sure we did that safely and securely.

Thanks especially to @norshor @Chug & @Longboardr for the great ideas and pics posted in this thread. I borrowed from all of them for my setup.

I bought a couple 1' lengths of 1.5" NRS webbing strap to make some tiedown loops for the front. Used Chug's suggestion of heating up a bolt to melt through the strap cleanly, worked great.

For the roof rack my strut channel crossbars would work great, but they are a little bit narrow, so I got a set of slightly longer ones. The originals are 40" and the replacements are 48". I got powdercoated black steel low profile channel from McMaster Carr and drilled a few holes in it. Easy.

The uprights at the ends of the bars are just strut channel angle connectors and they're definitely overkill (1/4" steel!) but they'll work. Version 2.0 may involve something that actually follows the contours of the gunwales and hull to provide an extra level of retention. Almost like a big clamp for the canoe. But for now these should work.

We will be strapping the canoe down with some 12' rollercam straps. For the stern we have a Maxterra rear bumper with beefy shackle mount points, still need to figure out what type of rope or strap to use for that.

I'll get a few pics of the canoe actually mounted, hopefully this weekend when we're planning to take it out for the first time!
Chug likes this.

Last edited by outback97; 07-11-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:56 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback97 View Post
...still need to figure out what type of rope or strap to use for that.

Check out the alpine butterfly knot and the trucker's hitch. With those two knots you can tie down things to the X with rope tighter than would be advisable.
outback97 likes this.

Carpe lardum

If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback97 View Post
Great thread! We just acquired a 25 year old Mad River Explorer in Kevlar and are excited to get it out on the water.
Hey... I also have a ~20 year old Mad River Explorer (Royalex with Kevlar skid plates) and a very similar solution! After trying several off the shelf items and having a heart attack everytime I drove while I watched the canoe practically swing in circles on the roof, I went with good ole' L-brackets.

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/29-gea...ml#post4231608

outback97 likes this.

Build Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Trip Photos Page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Mods first - life later."

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:55 PM
Veteran
2007 Avalanche White Xterra SE, 4x4

What ever you use.. SECURE IT! Dble Check, and Re-Check.
Was told Last night of a Vehicle with Kayak attached to J-Racks. Doing 70 plus on Hwy.. Well, Human error Did something wrong or Did not Check Nuts an bolts Etc.. It Blew off, smashed into aFront of RV.. High Speed OUCH!!... OOP's.

I tend to Over do anchor points ;-) Do not want to be THAT Guy!...

Been using these for my Kayak on front and Back. With the Front I create a Triangle Top to Kayak, Then to the Straps on hood.. Pull tight, secure the loose ends.. Done.

Thinking of using the Smaller Version for my Hammock Rain Fly. Easy to adjust and goes around 3' Tree's with ease..

These list at 150 Lbs.. Will not test that limit..

NOTE: Make sure When you buy them IT say's PAIR.. Got screwed on one set.. Only to get one!.. not a pair.. grrrrr..
This link, sells in Two's.
LE KAPMOZ Kayak Tie Down Straps Canoe Bow and Stern Heavy Duty Cargo Ratchet Pulley Rope Hanger (1/4",10/12 Ft)
by LE KAPMOZ

Linky: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
outback97 likes this.

Never give up the high Ground!!
" A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke don't want one bad enough. "
Gus McCrae-
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:19 AM
Veteran
2006 & 2009 Red Brawn & Navy Blue Xterra OR's

Canoe rack setup worked great for our maiden voyage. The boat stayed put on the way to the lake, didn't sink on the water... it was a good day!

Chug, GPD605X and AlbatrossCafe like this.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:07 PM
2006 Xterra Off-Road

We use Yakima racks with canoe mounts (cleats?) that hold the canoe in tight in the snarliest of winds. The round bars are long enough to accommodate a mountain bike used for shuttling back up the river.

The canoe is a canvas-covered, cedar-ribbed 16 foot Chestnut Prospector. Weights about 75 lb. dry and over 90 lb. wet.

---
Night armour Xterra 2006 Off-Road, after-market Bilstein shocks, 5th rear leaf spring, Michelin LTX M/S^2 4-season tires, Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 motor oil, JVC GPS/Receiver, otherwise stock. 205,000 km/127,000 miles. Handles steep loose rock very well.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 05:32 PM
Veteran
2007 Super Black Xterra S Titan Swapped!

Garage
I picked up on a year or so ago and have yet to do anything with it lol. I'm glad I found this thread so I can hoist it up on the rack. Thanks for the ideas guys!

outback97 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-REXterra View Post
"100% of people with snorkels have bigger wieners than those without snorkels."
-Abraham Lincoln

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Gear & Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode