Quick Easy Extra Storage Inside Xterra - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2010, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

Thumbs up Quick Easy Extra Storage Inside Xterra

Hey guys, I recently noticed just how much extra space there is being wasted underneath the rear seats. I found a great way to utilize the space besides just laying down long stuff like my cb antenna when not in use. I found a perfect size box at Sears. It is called the Craftsman 17" Compact Truck Box Part# 65117 and they cost $7.99 each.

You can fit 2 of these under the seat with the jack still there! They fit great, the seats open and close fine, they are out of sight so no one sees them, and sitting in the seat feels no different. Its totally stealth! The inside usable space for tools, emergency supplies, or anything else is 16.25"L x 4.5"W x 3"H. I shot some quick pics to show where I'm talking about and tossed a couple tools in one to illustrate their size. You could easily carry a full socket set and a couple ratchets in one, and fill the other with wrenches, screwdrivers and pliers and have a great little kit. Whatever you use them for, I wanted to let you know about this great find!

~Jay

Update: 6-17-10

Hey guys, I just wanted to say that I finally had time to fill these babies up and am really in awe. These boxes don't look huge, but the are like bottomless pits. I kept putting more and more tools in, and I still have extra space in them. With two of these under the seats (or in the trunk, they fit in that compartment too) you can carry quite a solid on the trail tool kit at all times. Here's some updated pics to show you how much you can fit in these things!

And there is still room left. All these tools now live in a space out of site that was just being wasted for the last year!
rsvelti, Fredy, mtnbound and 6 others like this.

Support small businesses that support us! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Surf and Snow; 06-05-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 05:27 AM
Veteran
2007 Xterra SE

Send a message via AIM to equinox764
Great Idea! There was a thread by buxwheat about putting a hi-lift under there but i never though about other stuff.

Lunch has been canceled due to lack of hustle.... deal with it.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:39 AM
Veteran
2008 Frontier SE 4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox764 View Post
Great Idea! There was a thread by buxwheat about putting a hi-lift under there but i never though about other stuff.
X2! Thanks.

07 S 4X4...

08 Frontier SE 4X4 in Red Alert

Old 05-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Veteran
2007 Avalanche White Xterra SE, 4x4

good stealth box Jay!!.. Now your thinking out side the box again. ;-)

could stuff Road flares inside box as well..

Never give up the high Ground!!
" A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke don't want one bad enough. "
Gus McCrae-
Old 05-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Veteran
08 Xterra SE

Send a message via AIM to SquibleeArmorX
Yah my hi lift is stored under my rear seats. When I go on the trails it gets mounted to the roof rack.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Rev
Veteran
2008 Xterra SE

very nice!

Old 05-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Veteran

Excellent S&S!

I saw those at Sears a couple months back when I had a gift card, but wasn't sure it they would fit in that area. Great to know.

Sears also has a 22"Standard Truck Box Model # 65119

A reviewer says the dimensions are:

Outside: 22 1/4 (W) x 7 1/2 (D) x 4 1/4 (H) Inside: 21 (W) x 5 3/4 (D) x 2 1/2 (H).

Wonder if it will fit in the dry box? Might be a bit too tall. Hmmmmm.

2005 Grey OR MT
Radflo Coilovers, 750# Eibach Springs. Deaver AAl w/Bilstein 5125s.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra K.H.A.O.S. Edition

excellent Idea jay! I am going to pick some up later today or tomorrow to hide away some of my trail tools!

The Great Ninja of the East

Old 05-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Veteran
2007 Desert Stone Xterra Off-Road

Rook - with everything you're doing I'm surprised you've still got seats back there. I'd assume you'd being building a platform or the like and removing the seats.

If I go that route I think I'll set it up for Zombie Apocalypse "supples". Said supplies are roughly 7.62x39 or 12g.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra K.H.A.O.S. Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaprhys View Post
Rook - with everything you're doing I'm surprised you've still got seats back there. I'd assume you'd being building a platform or the like and removing the seats.

If I go that route I think I'll set it up for Zombie Apocalypse "supples". Said supplies are roughly 7.62x39 or 12g.
LMAO! hahaha! I need to have seats back there because I do transport more than just a passenger from time to time. I am thinking about bedlining the interior cargo area and adding a shelving system into the back tho....hmmm...I could always fits lots of anti-zombie supplies in that!

Is it unhealthy that I think of bedlining my Stratus from time to time?

The Great Ninja of the East

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Gear & Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in