Toyota OEM Bottle Jack - Anyone else have One? - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Toyota OEM Bottle Jack - Anyone else have One?

A while back I found a decent deal on a never used mechanical OEM Toyota bottle jack. I don't have a photo of it, but it's this one:

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...111-0c010.html

The simplicity of it, the extension, and the ability to carry it in any direction without risk of leakage, versus the hydraulic bottle jack I had been carrying, were what appealed to me.

It came with a rod with a hook on the end to raise and lower it, but I am trying to figure out a good bolt on solution to use the stock Nissan hardware with the Toyota bottle jack. Here's the Toyota jack, the Nissan rod, and the Nissan scissor jack for comparison.

The only idea I've got so far would be a couple of small rounded rectangular plates with holes or slots that I could bolt onto the Toyota jack. Not coming up with any other great ideas so I'm open to suggestions.

Anyone else carry one of these?
Hawk136439 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:26 PM
2012 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
You could use a couple pieces of L-steel and do something similar to your plan but the L-steel wouldn't twist when you used the jack. See Below for crude Paint Drawing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toyota jack.jpg (20.3 KB, 11 views)
outback97 likes this.

2012 Metalic Blue PRO-4X<-- Mine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2011 Black PRO-4X <-- Hers
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 <-- Mine

Last edited by Hawk136439; 05-16-2019 at 01:29 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk136439 View Post
You could use a couple pieces of L-steel and do something similar to your plan but the L-steel wouldn't twist when you used the jack. See Below for crude Paint Drawing...
Nice! Or maybe even a rectangular tube (or pipe?) with a hole and a slot for the Nissan end that would slip over the Toyota end and attach with a bolt through it?
Hawk136439 likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:59 PM
Veteran
2011 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback97 View Post
Anyone else carry one of these?
Actually, I do. It's in my Toyota.

Are the extensions similar or do you not have the Toyota OEM hook end at all? I think both have a square end to end extension, but if it's the same size square I'm not sure, never tried to mix my T4R and X stuff like that. If it is, you could simply just plug the hook type jack turning end into the Xterra rod...

Edit.....apparently I can't read today, basically what @outback97 said only I'm suggestion the OEM stuff from both ends might even work together. I'm not in a position to check mine out right now or I'd go look.

2011 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X - 6 MT
Check out my:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

Last edited by Airmapper; 05-16-2019 at 02:02 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:04 PM
2012 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
I'm curious does the yota jack offer more extension than the Nissan one?

2012 Metalic Blue PRO-4X<-- Mine

2011 Black PRO-4X <-- Hers
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 <-- Mine
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmapper View Post
Actually, I do. It's in my Toyota.

Are the extensions similar or do you not have the Toyota OEM hook end at all? I think both have a square end to end extension, but if it's the same size square I'm not sure, never tried to mix my T4R and X stuff like that. If it is, you could simply just plug the hook type jack turning end into the Xterra rod...

Edit.....apparently I can't read today, basically what @outback97 said only I'm suggestion the OEM stuff from both ends might even work together. I'm not in a position to check mine out right now or I'd go look.
My Toyota bottle jack came with one "L" shaped metal rod with hook end and offset handle. It's similar to that used on some scissor jacks, at least it's a lot like the one on my Subaru. The higher capacity Toyota bottle jacks (Land Cruiser and probably some other models, maybe your 4Runner) come with a multi piece handle that connects with 3/8" square drive extensions, I believe.

Either way, the terminal end of the Nissan handle is the "T" shaped one, so I'm hoping to come up with something to adapt it to my Toyota jack, or even a higher capacity one if I find a replacement down the road.

Quote:
That's a good question. I have not compared them, but I can tell you it's definitely got more range than my 6 ton hydraulic jack. I want to say it is around 20" when fully extended, while also being lower profile in storage.

Not sure if this image will work since it's hosted on a Toyota forum, but this gives you an idea of the extension.

Hawk136439 likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
I compared the two last night to see what the extension difference is.

The Nissan scissor jack of course has a lower profile when not extended. About 3 3/4" versus 8 1/4" for the Toyota bottle jack. When extended, the scissor jack is about 15 3/4" and the bottle jack is 19 3/4".

If I figure out a workable adapter I'll be sure to update the thread.
Hawk136439 likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:14 PM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

Ford used to use something very similar in their F150's, maybe still do? I had a couple. The problem was that they were built like crap, and after half a dozen uses they quite working - the usual failure mode being the second "step" in the jack would stop working, meaning they would no longer go high enough.

Possibly the Toyota one is much better, but I honestly wouldn't put much faith in any OEM jack. There pure costs for the OEM. No one pays attention to the jack quality, or uses it to decide on what vehicle to buy - so they go lowest possible cost to build as most people never use them or use them once or twice in the life of the vehicle.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by idn88 View Post
Ford used to use something very similar in their F150's, maybe still do? I had a couple. The problem was that they were built like crap, and after half a dozen uses they quite working - the usual failure mode being the second "step" in the jack would stop working, meaning they would no longer go high enough.

Possibly the Toyota one is much better, but I honestly wouldn't put much faith in any OEM jack. There pure costs for the OEM. No one pays attention to the jack quality, or uses it to decide on what vehicle to buy - so they go lowest possible cost to build as most people never use them or use them once or twice in the life of the vehicle.
Good point about OEM. I don't know how the quality of the Toyota jack compares to aftermarket bottle jacks, but I'm going by what I've read, and it seems like a decent number of people on expo and ih8mud like them.

This thread on expo
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...ements.162040/

led me to find these on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=scissor+jack+adapter

and that might be an answer to how I could adapt the Nissan rod to the Toyota jack.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:57 PM
2006 Storm Gray Frontier OR KC NISMO 4x4 6MT

Use those with care. They are close to maxed out by just lifting one corner of a Tacoma. I have busted 2 using while recovering stuck vehicles. One on the Tacoma that it was for. Another on a jeep Cherokee.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Gear & Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode