On Board HOT Water - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2013 Night Armor Xterra S

Garage
On Board HOT Water

Looking around, and I was wondering if there have been any advances in on-board water.

I'm planning on getting myself setup with on-board air for adding pressure but if I want to get my partner involved in the great outdoors, I need a HOT shower.

I've looked at the heat exchangers and tbh I'm not sure if there's enough space to mount one in the X and I worry about my own technical skills rigging it up.

Has anyone got other good methods for onboard hot water? I've also considered a custom built application, which might be one way to go, utilizing the immersion heater from Rinsekit and a custom tank.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:06 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2010 Night Armor Xterra X

Garage
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeHere! View Post
I just get taken back to this thread. Lol. I saw the one thread with the heat exchanger, but that's what I was wondering about

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:29 PM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

I use a Zodi dual burner shower.
With their 12volt pump off the car battery.
shower head can be placed back in water tank to recirculate until desired temp is reached , but I dont normally have to do that.
It is damn hot after dual burner heat exchange.

storage case doubles as water tank.

Last edited by ChrisHaynesUSA; 04-11-2019 at 04:33 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:45 PM
2008 Desert Stone Xterra SE 4x4

Garage
Here is my OBW system: Onboard Water Tank

It works very well and so far served me in two camping trips, one of them 3 days and the other a whole week. It's not air pressurized, instead I use a water pump. It's still ambient temp water, but I've also got the heat exchanger and have some plans to make the proper bracket and install it in the engine bay.

Click Here for >
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:34 PM
2005 Xterra SE 5AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHaynesUSA View Post
I use a Zodi dual burner shower.
With their 12volt pump off the car battery.
shower head can be placed back in water tank to recirculate until desired temp is reached , but I dont normally have to do that.
It is damn hot after dual burner heat exchange.

storage case doubles as water tank.

I always wondered if that thing worked. Looks like it's pretty well made, but how much of a pain is it to set up, use, and tear down?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:25 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

Hot shower.
Happy wife.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:59 AM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Probably not quite what you had in mind, but I've been eyeing one of these for a long time:
https://roadshower.com/

Price may seem a little high, but it's probably less expensive and complicated than burners, fuel, water pumps, and heat exchangers. And I doubt I would be using it in the wintertime anyway.

"It is the natural and legitimate ambition of a properly constituted geologist to see a glacier, witness an eruption, and feel an earthquake." -G.K. Gilbert

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasarno View Post
Here is my OBW system: Onboard Water Tank

It works very well and so far served me in two camping trips, one of them 3 days and the other a whole week. It's not air pressurized, instead I use a water pump. It's still ambient temp water, but I've also got the heat exchanger and have some plans to make the proper bracket and install it in the engine bay.
Would anyone mind running me through what it would take to install a heat exchanger? It seems like a fairly simple concept, Cold water in, hot coolant in, hot water out, slightly cooler coolant out. But I'm not really familiar with which hose on the radiator I need to splice into. I assume I could splice into the outflow to engine, and it would still be plenty hot. However, not ever having worked with the radiator before I am intimidated by the pressure and heat that might go through this system. I would love to hear how people go about installing these heat exchangers.

Click Here for >
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:05 PM
2008 Desert Stone Xterra SE 4x4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Spaulding View Post
Would anyone mind running me through what it would take to install a heat exchanger? It seems like a fairly simple concept, Cold water in, hot coolant in, hot water out, slightly cooler coolant out. But I'm not really familiar with which hose on the radiator I need to splice into. I assume I could splice into the outflow to engine, and it would still be plenty hot. However, not ever having worked with the radiator before I am intimidated by the pressure and heat that might go through this system. I would love to hear how people go about installing these heat exchangers.

As I mentioned, I haven't done it yet. Just planned and researched. Asking about where to splice, here was my question and peoples answer:

How To: Tap a Heat Exchanger to coolant hoses

Click Here for >

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Gear & Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode