On Board HOT Water - Page 3 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
2013 Night Armor Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Other than aesthetics I don't see a problem.
Doesn't this suggest not only a leak, but corrosion of the fitting which will lead to more leaking or failure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:43 AM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Spaulding View Post
Doesn't this suggest not only a leak, but corrosion of the fitting which will lead to more leaking or failure?
Looking again I think you're right about the leak. I thought it was corrosion on the brass from an external source originally, but the hex looks clear of corrosion. If the clamp can't be tightened any more than it is I'd replace it with a beefier clamp, clean off the (coolant residue?) and keep an eye on it.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
2013 Night Armor Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Spaulding View Post
Looking again I think you're right about the leak. I thought it was corrosion on the brass from an external source originally, but the hex looks clear of corrosion. If the clamp can't be tightened any more than it is I'd replace it with a beefier clamp, clean off the (coolant residue?) and keep an eye on it.
I'm fairly positive that the coolant is corroding the brass fitting. I'm incredibly worried that the copper brazing in the stainless steel will corrode away completely which would mean coolant in my water. Additionally, it could mean that I end up with a catastrophic failure of the fitting.

The correct thing to do is at LEAST switch out the fittings. But I'm also wondering if flushing the coolant might help to reduce the corrosion in the heat exchanger. There SHOULD be corrosion inhibitors in the coolant, but it doesn't seem like it's inhibiting too much.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 02:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2010 Midnight Armor ❌terra X

Garage
From the little I've read coolant does corrode brass faster than aluminum (aluminum said in a brit accent, cuz I love it)

"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Gear & Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode