On Board HOT Water - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
2013 Night Armor Xterra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasarno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Spaulding View Post
Would anyone mind running me through what it would take to install a heat exchanger? It seems like a fairly simple concept, Cold water in, hot coolant in, hot water out, slightly cooler coolant out. But I'm not really familiar with which hose on the radiator I need to splice into. I assume I could splice into the outflow to engine, and it would still be plenty hot. However, not ever having worked with the radiator before I am intimidated by the pressure and heat that might go through this system. I would love to hear how people go about installing these heat exchangers.

As I mentioned, I haven't done it yet. Just planned and researched. Asking about where to splice, here was my question and peoples answer:

How To: Tap a Heat Exchanger to coolant hoses
Awesome!! Thanks, I'm definitely going to follow along with your build!!!

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 01:56 PM
2008 Desert Stone Xterra SE 4x4

Garage
Quote:

Don't overlook these options as well:

Mr. Heater BOSS-XB13 Basecamp Battery Operated Shower System

Coleman Hot Water on Demand H2Oasis Portable Water Heater

RinseKit Plus Portable Shower

Neither is a perfect solution, but anyhow they are all options. At the end, it might be cheaper, and since they are portable, you can use them with other cars, too.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasarno View Post
Quote:

Don't overlook these options as well:

Mr. Heater BOSS-XB13 Basecamp Battery Operated Shower System

Coleman Hot Water on Demand H2Oasis Portable Water Heater

RinseKit Plus Portable Shower

Neither is a perfect solution, but anyhow they are all options. At the end, it might be cheaper, and since they are portable, you can use them with other cars, too.
As interesting as those options are, they take up a lot of cargo space. The more I read up on the heater hose exchanger, the more I like it. It's outside of my comfort zone, but in the end, if I can pull it off, my X will be looking sharp. I've read some more about them on other sites and the last thing I'm worried about is routing of the heater hoses in that tight area. I'm hoping I can just get some short lengths of gates greenstripe and it will work.

Click Here for >

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Turning this into a build thread.

Going to begin updating this as I build this system.

First is finding a place for the tank and sourcing the parts. I liked the placement in the spare tire void I saw in another thread. I plan on installing a tank there, today I will be measuring the depth, length and width of the void and finding a tank. The major concern is building a suitable frame for the tank which can be released using fasteners which will extend into the hidden cargo area for ease of access.

I think that the Valterra 12 Gallon Freshwater tank will fit in the void, at 8" deep, 24" long and 16" wide. If not, the 9 gallon certainly will at 18" long. The plan will be to place 4 14-gauge unistruts on the top and bottom across the width to distribute weight and support the tank. Two pieces will run along the length of the bottom to hold front and back and also take weight. The benefit of the lateral unistrut is that I can thread a single bolt through the top to bottom and tighten down to provide physical support to the tank, additionally, the longitudinal struts will help objects (rocks?) slide along the unit. A piece of sheet may be placed as a skid plate between the lateral and longitudinal struts. See the photo below for the layout!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Valterra 12 Gallon install.jpg (16.2 KB, 4 views)

Click Here for >

Last edited by Taylor Spaulding; 04-14-2019 at 10:32 AM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
After measuring this morning, I don't know if I need quite that many weight bearing bolts, and I may need to reduce the number simple due to where I can put the "easily". I can easily put two in the frame crossmember which should be the strongest, another two will enter from the cargo hatch. I do not yet know if I'll be able to place more than that without going through hollow body parts or having bolt heads sticking out. More to follow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190414_081554_1555256136333.jpg (1.36 MB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190414_082328_1555256153680.jpg (3.62 MB, 26 views)

Click Here for >
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:56 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

Your leaf pack appears to be flat.
With what appears to be a crease in your exhaust pipe.
and articulation is limited by the stock anti-sway still attached.
Rear stock bumpstop could be replaced by a Timbren to gain more cushion on up travel.

You will gain additional clearance with a new leaf pack and the removal of the stock trailer hitch(hitch can be integrated with rear bumper).

IMHO might wanna tackle some of those before adding the additional weight of a tank and water load.

9 gallons will add an additional 75 pounds
12 gallons will add an additional 100 pounds

after a little more thought, you may also want to relocate the evap canister if the tank is to be permanent in location.
if not then the water tank may need to be dropped out when you need to change the evap canister. it is a least worth considering while doing all of you measurements.

Last edited by ChrisHaynesUSA; 04-14-2019 at 12:06 PM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHaynesUSA View Post
Your leaf pack appears to be flat.
With what appears to be a crease in your exhaust pipe.
and articulation is limited by the stock anti-sway still attached.
Rear stock bumpstop could be replaced by a Timbren to gain more cushion on up travel.

You will gain additional clearance with a new leaf pack and the removal of the stock trailer hitch(hitch can be integrated with rear bumper).

IMHO might wanna tackle some of those before adding the additional weight of a tank and water load.

9 gallons will add an additional 75 pounds
12 gallons will add an additional 100 pounds

after a little more thought, you may also want to relocate the evap canister if the tank is to be permanent in location.
if not then the water tank may need to be dropped out when you need to change the evap canister. it is a least worth considering while doing all of you measurements.
Thanks Chris! I was going to call today but I got busy. Would larger shackles cause the leaf spring to appear flat? I don't believe it's flat yet, but it might well be, I'll look into either replacing altogether or adding a leaf.

I didn't notice a crease today or the other day when I was under there, but I'll head out right now and check.

I'm actually ok with the hitch for now until I can purchase an integrated hitch and spare wheel swing-away. In regards to that and the swaybar I don't plan on doing any heavy trail driving for a while, call this a forest service roads and camping rig. Would more articulation really help in this situation? Or is that just something I should think about.

The tank SHOULD be able to be dropped for maintenance, that was my original intent. 🙂

I really appreciate your input! I'll look into fixing the things you've mentioned, and grabbing some of those timbrens.

Click Here for >
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 01:00 PM
Noobie
2010 XTerra X

I've seen a couple rigs with 6" or 8" PVC painted black and attached to the roof rack. Heats up via solar and uses air pressure or on-demand RV pump for showering.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Gear & Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode