HF Alum Bumper Winch Install Planning - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2014 Brilliant Silver ❌terra S

Garage
HF Alum Bumper Winch Install Planning

So I finally picked up a Smittybilt XRC 9.5 COMP winch for my Hefty Fabworks Aluminum bumper. I'm planning the install and just wanted to make sure I had everything correct after searching the forums.

1. I will have to trim the Grill (2014 X).
2. After looking at HF's install instructions, it said I will probably need to clock the clutch side so I can activate the switch. I'm assuming I can do this forward (front facing) without having to worry about road garbage (water, salt, ice, etc.) contaminating anything.
3. Relocating control box above fuse box. Three 6 foot 2 Gauge Battery Cables to extend with 3/8 lugs? I assume also extending the thin negative wire to the winch as well? Or can I just run it straight the battery and do the same with the negative from the winch?

Anything you can think of would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll eventually set up a wireless remote.

Zombie Hunter: 2014 Silver Xterra S -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." -Alexander the Great
Overland Bound #13805; Tread Lightly! Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:24 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

I don't think you want to wire the ground straight to the battery. The X won't see the electrical draw unless it goes through the Hall Effect sensor.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:50 PM
Supporting Member
2015 Glacier White ❌terra Pro-4X

Garage
Same setup.....Clock the winch so the lever is at the back, so you will have to reach in behind, from the opening in the bumper to flip it. I tried with it facing forward and wasn't able to mount the winch properly. Extend ALL of the cables from the control box to the winch itself. I can't remember what size cable I used but that sounds bout right.
Kilo Sierra likes this.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 03:07 PM
2013 Cayenne Red Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo Sierra View Post
So I finally picked up a Smittybilt XRC 9.5 COMP winch for my Hefty Fabworks Aluminum bumper. I'm planning the install and just wanted to make sure I had everything correct after searching the forums.

1. I will have to trim the Grill (2014 X).
2. After looking at HF's install instructions, it said I will probably need to clock the clutch side so I can activate the switch. I'm assuming I can do this forward (front facing) without having to worry about road garbage (water, salt, ice, etc.) contaminating anything.
3. Relocating control box above fuse box. Three 6 foot 2 Gauge Battery Cables to extend with 3/8 lugs? I assume also extending the thin negative wire to the winch as well? Or can I just run it straight the battery and do the same with the negative from the winch?

Anything you can think of would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll eventually set up a wireless remote.
1. Yes, you will have to trim. Try to leave 3/4-1" of extra material below the top of the bumper. I trimmed mine to a little less than 1/4" and the grill flexes occasionally and pops itself out from behind the bumper. Doing so has left some light scuffs on the powdercoat of the bumper.
2. Clocking was a bit of a pain on my Engo. There was a paper "seal" in there that I had to get lined back up and it took a few tries. Luckily, you only have to do it once.
3. The small ground actually ran to the solenoid on mine, so I kept the wiring exactly how it came. I did however discard the included control box and built my own.

Instead of running a wireless remote, I ran secondary controls to interior dash switches, 1 main power and 1 3 way in/out. Works fantastic. I haven't run into a situation where I've needed them yet, but it's nice to know I could steer and operate the winch on my own if I needed.
Kilo Sierra likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
I don't think you want to wire the ground straight to the battery. The X won't see the electrical draw unless it goes through the Hall Effect sensor.
Hmmm not sure I'm following...the instructions have the thin wire going from the control box to winch and connecting on the same post as the negative battery cable runs to the battery. Are you saying that I should still run that to the winch, correct?

I apologize as I'm trying to educate myself. Are we talking about a Hall Effect sensor within the winch itself?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." -Alexander the Great
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples491 View Post
1. Yes, you will have to trim. Try to leave 3/4-1" of extra material below the top of the bumper. I trimmed mine to a little less than 1/4" and the grill flexes occasionally and pops itself out from behind the bumper. Doing so has left some light scuffs on the powdercoat of the bumper.
2. Clocking was a bit of a pain on my Engo. There was a paper "seal" in there that I had to get lined back up and it took a few tries. Luckily, you only have to do it once.
3. The small ground actually ran to the solenoid on mine, so I kept the wiring exactly how it came. I did however discard the included control box and built my own.

Instead of running a wireless remote, I ran secondary controls to interior dash switches, 1 main power and 1 3 way in/out. Works fantastic. I haven't run into a situation where I've needed them yet, but it's nice to know I could steer and operate the winch on my own if I needed.
That's a nice setup. I wish I could tuck a box back there. I was relocating just to keep the control box up high and dry.

You did clock so you could access through the front of the bumper, correct?

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodragon4x View Post
Same setup.....Clock the winch so the lever is at the back, so you will have to reach in behind, from the opening in the bumper to flip it. I tried with it facing forward and wasn't able to mount the winch properly. Extend ALL of the cables from the control box to the winch itself. I can't remember what size cable I used but that sounds bout right.
Ahh okay. Clock it towards the radiator.

Last edited by Kilo Sierra; 03-11-2019 at 03:49 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:
Hmmm not sure I'm following...the instructions have the thin wire going from the control box to winch and connecting on the same post as the negative battery cable runs to the battery. Are you saying that I should still run that to the winch, correct?

I apologize as I'm trying to educate myself. Are we talking about a Hall Effect sensor within the winch itself?
The Hall Effect sensor is part of the X. It's how the X sees an electrical draw on the battery. Our alternator doesn't always charge in an effort to save fuel. If you follow the negative battery cable from the battery to the other end you're at the Hall Effect sensor. If you wire anything between the battery and the sensor the X won't recognize it as a draw on the battery.

I know zip, zero, zilch about wiring a winch to the X, just trying to make you aware of the Hall Effect sensor and what it does.
Kilo Sierra likes this.

Carpe lardum

If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 03:49 PM
2013 Cayenne Red Xterra S

Quote:
That's a nice setup. I wish I could tuck a box back there. I was relocating just to keep the control box up high and dry.

You did clock so you could access through the front of the bumper, correct?
Yes, to the front. It's a tight fit. The clutch release handle isn't much more than a hairs width from making contact with the bumper.

The Engo control box wasn't waterproof to begin with so I used a Rubbermaid Brilliance dish that has a rubber seal around the edge. With the holes I drilled in it, it's not completely waterproof but it's a lot better than what came with the winch.
Kilo Sierra likes this.

Last edited by Apples491; 03-11-2019 at 03:52 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
The Hall Effect sensor is part of the X. It's how the X sees an electrical draw on the battery. Our alternator doesn't always charge in an effort to save fuel. If you follow the negative battery cable from the battery to the other end you're at the Hall Effect sensor. If you wire anything between the battery and the sensor the X won't recognize it as a draw on the battery.

I know zip, zero, zilch about wiring a winch to the X, just trying to make you aware of the Hall Effect sensor and what it does.
Ahh okay. The next time I'm under the hood I'll have to take a look at it.

I had tried using a little google-fu to get an idea of what you were talking about, and they kept referring to more mechanical applications, like crankshaft or camshaft sensors which were measuring gear rotations. I was thinking there might have been something in the winch that was monitoring it.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Gear & Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode