HF Alum Bumper Winch Install Planning - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:16 PM
2012 Lava Red Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
I have nearly the same setup your installing. I too clocked the handle to the front but you may consider putting a small block/spacer between the baseplate of the winch and the inside front of the bumper. Reason being is if the winch shifts forward at all you will not be able to rotate the handle - ask me how I know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 06:13 PM
Supporting Member
2015 Glacier White ❌terra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcoffeeguy View Post
I have nearly the same setup your installing. I too clocked the handle to the front but you may consider putting a small block/spacer between the baseplate of the winch and the inside front of the bumper. Reason being is if the winch shifts forward at all you will not be able to rotate the handle - ask me how I know...
Haha,....that's exactly why I clocked mine towards the radiator instead.
nwcoffeeguy likes this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 06:41 PM
Senior Member - AKA Jyoung992
2015 Glacier White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
This will be useful in a few weeks. Thanks for posting.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
2014 Brilliant Silver ❌terra S

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcoffeeguy View Post
Heh. I was looking at your picture in another thread and comparing it to an amazon picture of your winch to see if I could figure out which way you clocked it.

I'll be definitely keep that in mind.

Zombie Hunter: 2014 Silver Xterra S -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." -Alexander the Great
Overland Bound #13805; Tread Lightly! Member
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:57 PM
2013 Cayenne Red Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
The Hall Effect sensor is part of the X. It's how the X sees an electrical draw on the battery. Our alternator doesn't always charge in an effort to save fuel. If you follow the negative battery cable from the battery to the other end you're at the Hall Effect sensor. If you wire anything between the battery and the sensor the X won't recognize it as a draw on the battery.

I know zip, zero, zilch about wiring a winch to the X, just trying to make you aware of the Hall Effect sensor and what it does.
That's interesting and I'll have to take a look and keep it in mind as I wire in the future. As it stands on my truck right now, every accessory I've wired bypasses that sensor. I picked up a battery terminal spliter. The stock negative wire goes into one of the slots. The rest of my accessories (Blue sea fuse block, stereo amp, winch, lights) take up the other slots. That's how I've seen most wiring installs.

Where would you tie these in to take advantage of the sensor?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:02 PM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples491 View Post
That's interesting and I'll have to take a look and keep it in mind as I wire in the future. As it stands on my truck right now, every accessory I've wired bypasses that sensor. I picked up a battery terminal spliter. The stock negative wire goes into one of the slots. The rest of my accessories (Blue sea fuse block, stereo amp, winch, lights) take up the other slots. That's how I've seen most wiring installs.

Where would you tie these in to take advantage of the sensor?
To avoid any noise in the ham radio I installed I ran a ground to the fuse block I added. I attached my ground to the screw that holds the wire coming off the Hall Effect sensor that attaches to its mounting bracket. I have absolutely no idea how many amps can be pulled through the sensor, it's not something I worried about with my relatively low 100 amp max draw wiring. I mean, it's not like you're running the starter and the winch at the same time, but I'd want to know how other people wired their winch...

Apples491 likes this.

Carpe lardum

If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough.

Last edited by Longboardr; 03-11-2019 at 09:04 PM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:18 PM
2015 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
I have absolutely no idea how many amps can be pulled through the sensor, it's not something I worried about with my relatively low 100 amp max draw wiring.
I don't know how many amps can be pulled through the sensor or other wiring either, and this is where it would go if grounded to the frame or other ground. This would be the reason I would follow the manufacturers instruction and ground it to the battery. A winch can draw over 400 amps. I have mine grounded to the battery, no problems. I don't use the winch a lot but when I do I am conscious of the strain on the battery, so I just take it easy and slow. I also installed a decent battery.

Winch controls in the dash are the way to go. No controller to connect, always ready to go.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Gear & Equipment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode