TrekBoxx for the Xterra - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Anywho when I priced out the build on my boxes, the parts came out to about 1300-1500 (I'd have to go dig up my spreadsheet) and then I'd have to pay for someones labor to help me which is anywhere from 400-800 bucks.
I do some woodworking as a hobby.
I've also built a sleeping platform for the back of an Xterra, as well as a drawer slide for a frig and camp box.
I'm aware of what quality materials cost.

While I think your parts price is about right ... quality labor is expensive.
It would likely take 3-4 days to properly cut, fit and install a full drawer system as shown in your 1st picture.
Longer for a custom one-off, never previously produced item.

I wouldn't do it for $800.

Having said that ... I believe that there are companies here in California that make drawer systems that are well made ... and quite a bit less than these. @ChrisHaynesUSA has a very nice setup in his rig ... although I don't recall the cost.

2005 Grey OR MT
Radflo Coilovers, 750# Eibach Springs. Deaver AAl w/Bilstein 5125s.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:45 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra TS/LCKD/4:56/35" Edition & S Model DD for handme downs

The guy making these appears to have gone out of business.
I believe they were about 1200-1300 bucks back when he made them.

https://s900.photobucket.com/user/mu...?sort=3&page=1

https://s1292.photobucket.com/user/c...?sort=3&page=2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:54 AM
Veteran
2013 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHaynesUSA View Post
The guy making these appears to have gone out of business.
I believe they were about 1200-1300 bucks back when he made them.

https://s900.photobucket.com/user/mu...?sort=3&page=1

https://s1292.photobucket.com/user/c...?sort=3&page=2
Yeah I tried contacting them months ago and no response on any source. Shame. I like the drawers a lot.

Nissan Off-Roaders of the SouthEast (N.O.R.S.E.), Virginia Xterra Club (VAXC)

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM
Veteran

I'm sure you've already done plenty of research ... but here a couple of links that might be of assistance:

List of Buyers Guide from Expo Portal (I didn't read the list):
https://expeditionportal.com/trucksu...-buyers-guide/

Other place I know of in CA is Front Runner in Ventura:
https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...s/drawers.html

2005 Grey OR MT
Radflo Coilovers, 750# Eibach Springs. Deaver AAl w/Bilstein 5125s.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM
2015 Glacier White Xterra Pro-4X

Check out Airmapper's cargo area build that he did himself using off the shelf components. It's pretty nice and appears sturdy. Gives you an idea of what you can come up with on your own that might not be as pretty, but gets the job done!
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
Veteran
2006 Avalanche White Xterra S 4x4

If i were serious about a rear box set up I would probably build my own, customized for m y specific needs. but, I tend to be more of a DIY kinda person.
Brunnie likes this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old Today, 07:51 AM
Veteran
2014 Silver Lightning Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Touching my wallet.

IT BURNS! IT BURNS US! It freezes! Nasty Elves twisted it. TAKE IT OFF US!

Must not lose the PRECIOUS!
Zach Clarke likes this.

“All that the South has ever desired was that the Union as established by our forefathers should be preserved and that the government as originally organized should be administered in purity and truth.”
Robert E. Lee
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old Today, 10:23 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2009 Avalanche White ❌terra OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke Noble View Post
Here is a thread where he goes through the build process of one... https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/140....678649/page-4
Thanks for that link. I enjoyed reading it and I like his style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke Noble View Post
... I did design my own boxes in CAD but I don't have the woodworking skills to build it myself, ....
Anywho when I priced out the build on my boxes, the parts came out to about 1300-1500...
It would be an excellent project to motivate learning some skills. He seems to be a very competent cabinet maker but you can get away with much simpler construction if you don't mind a bit of ugliness. You'll need about $300 of basic tools at a minimum if you have nothing now and want to start. You'll also need to learn welding if you want to replicate the whole thing. I liked seeing how he integrated the rear seat belt mounts and provided child seat tether points.

The hardware cost sounds about right, he didn't cheap out on anything. That is quality that will last. "Buy once cry once", just like he says on his about page. (Also a good read and makes me like him more.)

I'm honestly surprised at the negative response. Especially with recent discussions. Sure, it's expensive. Good things usually are. For now I have no interest since that space is occupied by the dogs. I would hope that in a few years he will still be around and the Xterra version will exist if my needs change.

I see it like comparing watches. For $20 I can get a decent thing to know what time it is. For $10,000 I could have a Rolex to try and make my neighbors jealous. For $500 I could have a dive watch that could save my life. I see this drawer system being like that dive watch that most people don't need, but those that do see the value and really appreciate it.
Zach Clarke likes this.

If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid -
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old Today, 02:39 PM
Veteran
2014 Silver Lightning Xterra S 4x4

Garage
Guys

I'm not sure what the total cost would be in labor, planning, materials, hardware, fabrication etc etc etc, but it wouldn't be cheap. Obviously, this would also be a limited production run, so there would be no chance of recovering a cost over time as demand increased.

For me, it reminds me of the time a salesman caught me looking at an 8 passenger suv.
When asked if I wished to take it for a drive, I considered the fact that my own family only needs three seats.
I shook my head no, and said " Its all I could want, and far more than I need."

“All that the South has ever desired was that the Union as established by our forefathers should be preserved and that the government as originally organized should be administered in purity and truth.”
Robert E. Lee

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > The Marketplace > Online Finds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in