Death Valley Xterra Overland Xcursion - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
2005 Xterra Off-Road

Death Valley Xterra Overland Xcursion

Dates:
December 19-22, 2008

Death Valley National Park, starting at Panamint Springs, California.

Highlights:
This is going to be an epic tour of a large percentage of the off-road trails located within the north-west portion of Death Valley National Park. The plan is to spend all four days camping and off-roading. We will see The Racetracks, Eureka Dunes, Scotty's Castle, Stovepipe Wells and all that there is to explore in between including beautiful desert scenery and many old ghost towns.

General Plan and Meeting Places:
Day 1: Friday, Dec. 19th: Panament Springs to Homestead Dry Camp. 66 miles.
Top off our tanks in Penament Springs and leave by 9:00 a.m. driving west to the entrance of Hidden Valley Road to The Grandstand and The Racetrack and ending the day at Homestead Dry Camp

Day 2: Saturday, Dec. 20th: Homestead Dry Camp to Eureka Dunes Dry Camp. 52 miles.
Leave Homestead Dry Camp at 9:00 a.m. taking Saline Valley Road past Warm Spring Camp Ground to Steel Pass Road to Eureka Dunes Dry Camp

Day 3: Sunday, Dec. 21st: Eureka Dry Camp to Mesquite Spring Camground. 87 miles.
Leave Eureka Dunes Dry Camp at 9:00 a.m. Continue north along South Eureka Valley Road to North Eureka Valley Road. We'll head up a 4-wheel drive road through Cucomungo Canyon then north to Hwy 266. We'll be on pavement for 10.7 miles to Lida where we'll head south along Tule Canyon to join Big Pine / Death Valley Road. We will finish up the day at Mesquite Spring Campground. This plan may have to be altered if no gas is available at Scotty's Castle.

Day 4: Monday, Dec 22nd: Mesquite Spring Campground to Stovepipe Wells Village. 106 miles.
Leave Stovepipe Well Village at 9:00 a.m. then stopping by Scotty's Castle to explore a bit. We'll continue northeast up Hwy 267 crossing into Nevada to Bonnie Claire then head south on dirt roads to Beatty. From Beatty we'll go to Titus Canyon Road. We'll be on pavement once again as we end the day in Stovepipe Wells Village.

Gas:
There is gas in Panamint Springs, Beatty, and Stovepipe Wells. The longest distance between fill ups will be about 210 miles. Bring an extra 5 gallons if you are concerned.

Weather:
Expect temperatures to be from 70F during the day to 30F in the evening. Bring some warm clothes and a decent sleeping bag.

Safety:
Bring plenty of water. A 5-gallon container of water is standard emergency backup.

Travel prepared. Things can go wrong quickly in the backcountry. Pre-trip planning could save your life. Bring basic tools, a shovel, extra water and food with you. In the higher elevations, snow and ice conditions may require tire chains. Top off your gas tank before starting a trip. Flat tires are a common problem for backcountry visitors due to rough road conditions or from having unsuitable tires. Make sure your vehicle is equipped with “off-road” tires rather than highway or street tires. Carry at least one inflated spare tire (preferably two), a can of fix-a-flat or tire plug kit, a 12-volt air-compressor, a lugwrench, and be sure all parts of your jack are on hand. Know how to use your equipment before you head out.

Links:
Backcountry Roads at nps.gov (includes map)
Weather Forcast

Contact Information:
Travis Gill (aka Snoopy) at [email protected]
We will be using FRS Radio channel 12, subcode 24 for communications.

Last edited by Snoopy; 11-25-2008 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Updated links and milage information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 03:53 PM
2nd Godfather / Administrator
2005 Granite Xterra Off-Road

Pretty damn cool.

I wish there were places out east where you could be off-road for days at a time.

Muzikman
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2008, 07:04 PM
2008 Xterra OR

Wish I could make this, Death Valley is on my TODO list!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 08:55 AM
TNX Community Support Vendor

We have done 2 death valley trips in the last 4 weeks and we're ready to go again. Titus canyon is stunning, lots of wash board road. Check out the ghost town of Rhyolite since you will be right there. There is no gas at Scotty's Castle though. Most of the trails in the park and on the east side are pretty good, usually just need 4-hi. We have a few books that we bring that have a ton of info about the local areas that are great to explain the history of the mines and ghost towns. We may try an make this one too, but it's not looking too good.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra Off Road

Garage
Sounds like some much fun if it wasn't such a drive I'd be there in a heart beat.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 08:00 PM
Veteran
2007 Xterra Off Road

Garage
Well change of plans I might be able to get to death valley, I need to see about time off at work, but hopefully I will make it. How many Xterra's normally show up at this trip? and will a stock suspensioned Xterra be ok?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
2005 Xterra Off-Road

So far three trucks are planned. Stock 4WD Xterra will be just fine.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra S

would so do this if my mother in law was taking all the kids or just the baby
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 10:11 PM
08 Super Black Xterra Off Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikman View Post
Pretty damn cool.

I wish there were places out east where you could be off-road for days at a time.
Michigan.

Death Valley is fantastic. I suggest everyone get there at least once. Even if only able to do the "Tourist Thing".
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra X

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalDefender View Post

Death Valley is fantastic. I suggest everyone get there at least once. Even if only able to do the "Tourist Thing".
Yes!! Bad Water is to die for. Ha

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Events, Shows & Trail Runs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode