How-to: Install/Remove a Winch on the ShrockWorks Bumper - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Veteran
2005 Xterra S

How-to: Install/Remove a Winch on the ShrockWorks Bumper

I could swear I once read that you can remove a winch from the bumper without taking the whole bumper off... I took a look and I don't see how it would fit but who knows. I hate taking the damn thing off just to get to the winch. Well as it turns out there is a way....read below, pictures for the "gimme now" crowd.

*The screw that holds the winch rope to the drum broke halfway so I need to "remove" the bottom half of the screw and start over. Total PITA for one stupid screw!

First remove the grill... Taking out the black thingies, also popping out the side "v" clips on both the right and left of the grill and the bottom of the honey comb...just be gentle but firm

Next you need to remove the bottom part of the metal piece that the bottom of the honey comb grill clips into, it had bolts on it 10mm btw

now you should have plenty 'o room to move the winch in and out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Matsayz; 05-02-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 12:48 AM
Veteran
2010 Unlimited Rubicon

Good luck....seems like that would be hard/impossible to do without taking off the bumper.

Is there a removable winch plate or does it sit on the plate that is welded to the bumper?

for some reason i thought I heard it came with a removable winch plate...I know there is a remote solenoid mounting "plate" but that isn't what i mean...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Veteran
2005 Xterra S

totally forgot i posted this. I was able to get it out, actually today after work. You must remove the grill assy and also the little metal piece that the honey comb clips into, i think there was like 5 bolts all together for it. Then just unbolted the winch and disconnected the wires and ta-da! much easier than removing the whole bumper then removing the winch and putting the bumper on again...specially by myself.

i'll snap some pictures tomorrow. But yes, you can remove a winch from the Shrockworks bumper without removing the bumper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Banned

I assume you can also install it that way too?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Veteran
2005 Xterra S

oh yeah, pics to come

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Veteran
2008 Avalanche White Xterra S

Thas is how I put mine in. Installed the bumper, removed the grill and metal support and the winch slid right in. I have a warn 9.5ti which is pretty big and fit no problem

Couple of Things Done to It

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2005 Xterra S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08whitex View Post
Thas is how I put mine in. Installed the bumper, removed the grill and metal support and the winch slid right in. I have a warn 9.5ti which is pretty big and fit no problem
^That's what I did to take mine out. Simple process, wish I would've known...

I'll take some pictures when I get home on how things fit and then come out

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Veteran
2005 Xterra S

******first post updated with pictures

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra Hybrid Edition

Put my Warn winch in finally today. Just took the grill and metal support off and in went the wench. Wish the wiring for the remote plug was longer . Used a 2x6 joist hanger as a mount for the solenoid box. No need to take off the bumper. I never put the metal support back in. Thanks for the info.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” Carlin
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 04:10 PM
2011 Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Looks like you removed the steel bumper support, which in other threads and shrockworks instructions tell you to knotch out the bumper support beam to fit a winch. Does anyone have anything to say about removing the entire bumper support beam? I think thats the only way you’d be able to fit a winch in and out (without removing the bumper).

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > TNX Community Support Vendors > ShrockWorks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode