Mounted Rear Lights on Roof Rack (Lots of Pics) - PBR - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Mounted Rear Lights on Roof Rack (Lots of Pics) - PBR

I picked up a Hella FF75 Driving Light Kit from Summit for about $80. I liked the Low Profile of the FF75 and thought that they really wouldn't stick above the top of Rack. I also picked up some Horizontal Mighty Mounts, (29H... I think). According the Yakima Catalog, they're only supposed to work for the First Gens. However, I was able to grind down the Spacer Tab between the Clamps of each Bracket and they fit nice and tight.

What you also see in the picture above are some Brackets that I cut out of 1/8 inch Aluminum. The dimensions were 1-3/16 x 5". I drilled a hole for the bolt on the Might Mounts and another hole of the same size as the hole in the Light Bracket. I also sanded and painted the Aluminum Brackets.

I decided to run both the of the Positive Wires for the Lights down the Passenger-side of the Rig. I took apart the Rear Roof Crossbar, (I had to slide it back from the Factory Position anyway), and drilled holes in the underside of the hollow Crossbar, so that I could run the Positive Wire from the Drivers-side Light over to the Passenger-Side and have a slightly cleaner look. I put some Silicone around the Wire leading into the holes.

I grounded each of the Lights to the Rear Hatch Shock Bracket.

There is a small recess in the Rear Roof Line leading to the Rear Hatch the seems to coincide with the Factory Roof Rack Channels. There is just enough room to run Wiring down there, and Wires won't be pinched when you open the Hatch. You may be able to see the screw holding the Harness against the Base of the Roof Crossbar. I picked up some 1/4 inch Plastic Wiring Clamps and secured them with Sheet Metal Screws. I also used these when running the Wiring Harness down into the Bumper. All of the Plastic Clamps I could find at the stores were White Nylon, so I took a piece of Sandpaper to them and sprayed them Black.

I ran the Positive Wires down the Passenger-side. If you run it just to the right of where the Hatch Shock lays down, it won't interfere with the Hatch at all. I used a Die Grinder to grind a small notch in the top of the Plastic Tail Light Assembly and ran the Harness down into the Assembly and then down behind the Bumper.

After you run your Harness over the Rear Axle there is a large Wiring Harness the runs the length of the Frame Rail and up to the Engine Compartment that you can Zip-tie to.

Finished Product:

I ended up using about another 15 feet of Wire than what comes with the Kit, as well as some various Connectors. This Kit did not come with a Fuse, so I picked up one of those just to be safe.

Here's a night shot. I still need to adjust the lights, as they are aimed WAY too low.

Anyway... If someone is interested in trying this, I've still got two Might Mounts left over. PM me if interested.

Last edited by Old Navy; 12-08-2017 at 07:16 PM. Reason: All Photophucket Links Resurrected
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 04:43 PM
2nd Godfather / Administrator
2005 Granite Xterra Off-Road

Great write up and looks great. Did you wire them into the backup lights or are they on a seperate switch (or both)? Where did you mount the relay? In the back or up front?

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Veteran
2011 Had an '06 S now an '11 X

very cool... good idea on running the wires thru the tail lights!

--mike
The Grocerygetter!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 05:34 PM
Veteran
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra S w/OR Badges

I like this alot!! Dammit, another mod to add to my long long long list of things to do!

Call me Eddo

The First SuperCharged 2nd Gen >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikman
Great write up and looks great. Did you wire them into the backup lights or are they on a seperate switch (or both)? Where did you mount the relay? In the back or up front?
Good questions. I mounted the relay in the engine bay, up high against the firewall (just above the fuse box) on the passenger side. I left a little bit of space to mount a second relay for my front light kit (once my Shrock front bumper comes in).

They are wired on a separate switch.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Veteran

Yellow 06 OR MT
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Veteran
2006 Xterra Off-Road

I like the seperate switch. That way you don't blind folks around town whenever you back up, and you can turn them on to light up the tail gate party...Nice work.

Roberto Dowse

Red Brawn 06 OR 4X4 MT
Shrockworks Sliders & Front Bumper
Desert Red Interior...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 03:28 AM
Veteran
2005 Xterra SE

Garage
nice job, looks great

05 SE Solar Yellow
CB, XM, Kayak Carrier, Breather Extension,
LED Interior lights, Key Lockable Gearbox, Scangauge II
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 04:52 AM
Veteran

a+!
Oh that is so funny the picture that shows how light it is behind you! LOL
MC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Experience is a tough way to learn, because you get the test first...and the lesson afterwards. MC
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Veteran
2015 Outback 3.6R

Ground wires for rear lights

Did you run the ground from the right rear over to the left side and ground both on the left side, or did you ground them individually? I like the idea of extra light for backing up. These are driving lights, right? Could they be mounted the same way on front bar w/ mighty mounts and clear the front storage bin? I also want some roof mounted lights, but afraid that they won't clear my garage door, but these low-pro lights will probably do the trick. Have you got your front ones yet? How did you mount them and where did you wire them? Looking for an easier way than drilling a hole in the roof and running wires down through the dome light.

"I cut my deck to the Queen of Spades, but the cards were all the same. Don't murder me."

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode