Hey y'all, wanted to share a bit here about a little project on the off chance someone else will find it useful or have feedback:
2010 X with the standard big tubular roof rack which looks fine and all but is pretty small. Put a cargo box up there and not much left to work with ... in my case the Yakima Skybox (don't remember exactly what size - 18cu?) fits perfect from front to back and side to side but literally nothing else can fit as it's covering the whole rack. I leave it up there 24/7 since it's a PITA to move around and use it often anyways.
Fast forward a few months and I picked up Roadshower over the black Friday weekend when it was like 30% off and have been testing that out standalone and it seems to be exactly what is needed for some longer camping/hiking/exploring trips. For the past few years using various crappy methods of showering while on the road with my X and finally bought myself the Roadshower to improve that situation + have some good pressure to wash down the toys after playtime
Now the problem is Roadshower as you can imagine it doesn't fit up there at the same time as the Skybox...so what do? Hack up the rack and make it work! Here were my constraints:
No more height (this is a big one since yes there are pre-existing solutions to solve for more rackspace by extension but they all seemed to push everything up even higher - no likey)
Extra 4-6 inches of rack width on either side (Roadshower needs about 3" from outside the tube to mount securely + board/kayak fits opposite)
$100 budget (came in at <$50 in parts!)
Payload ~100lbs static and 50lbs dynamic (largely ruling out plastic and aluminum)
Oh and it had to be simple enough for me to figure out and implement with virtually no tools.
Was I nervous drilling into the rack? A bit...wasn't sure what to expect and once you poke a 3/4" hole through there's no going back. Used the 3/4" bit pictured and then a file/dremel to expand it every so slightly to make the tubes fit tight. Each hole took a decent amount of hand labor and requires a strong drill to bore through in the first place.
You see the bit is 3/4" and so was the 48" (maybe it's 60"? I forget) long steel pipe technically, but the diameter of this pipe (all pipes?) is measured by the inside and the steel itself is about 1/8 inch thick...whereas a 1" bit would have been to much room but 3/4 hole wasn't enough. Make sense?
Now they are in there pretty snug like you'd really have to put in a lot of effort to pull them out...I'm going to keep an eye on things if I notice the factory rack start to wear down/stretch/rattle then will be securing the piping better, but for now, it's a solid. Likely going to seal any gaps between the piping and rack to prevent water/moisture from getting inside. Add something to the ends for a little lip and maybe paint it too. Overall it does the job and that is what mattered to me on this project, not so much the aesthetics. You actually can hardly notice them protruding from the rack as it is - but I might take these back and get some even longer ones...
The weakest point I believe is the 1/2" of tubing on X factory rack that sits below the steel pipe...that could crack if under a certain amount of stress. My primary concern with the whole thing right now is having 75 lbs up there jerking with water sloshing around inside the 7 gal Shower reservoir.
But I don't really offroad my X and for the most part Roadshower will not even be on the rack, and empty when driving, only full when parked/camped is the plan. I didn't even snap a pic with it mounted as once I confirmed that it fit and secured correctly, just put it back in the garage for storage until the next trip in a month or so when this whole thing will be put to the test!
I can't be the first one to do this either...never seen it before on here, but just couldn't imagine a better method given the constraints...if my rack flies off I will update this post. Any feedback/critique welcome - I posted this to share and learn.
Full gallery is on imgur under /a/zqrXixR