Review: NXrocks Low Pro Roof Rack - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
2006 SE

Review: NXrocks Low Pro Roof Rack

Just wanted to share my thoughts and experiences with my recent roof rack purchase from NXrocks. Here is his original post on the rack he makes: link

I want to say up front that I was impressed with the welding quality and the quick fabrication. I would suggest his craftsmanship to anyone looking for skids or sliders which he sells. If you buy a rack, you may want to make sure his shipping method is changed since mine was damaged in transit (Info below).

Pics:

Double check your length of hi lift before ordering. Mine was to short but worked out in the end as now I do not have to deal with base plate rattle on the road.

I must point out that the rack is not flawless. Shipping did mess up the rack as I had to tack back on the busted light mount on the back of the rack and re-tap the hi-lift bolts. I also must point out that one side of the rack is noticeably bent. Seems as if the front right side is bent up. After mounting it the flaw become very obvious. I know it is just that corner because the rest of the mounts are flush. This imperfection does not really bother me for a couple of reasons.
1. The rack is sold when mounted. No rattle and no movement at all.
2. It is not easily seen when the hi-lift is on.
Pics of the left (straight) side:

and the right damaged side:

2006 SE 4x4 w/ Hood Rod, Volant CAI, Radflow 2", Bils, Deaver Mini, Low Pro Basket, Shrockworks Skids and Sliders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Veteran
2008 Solar Yellow Xterra OR

Send a message via AIM to dezurtrat Send a message via MSN to dezurtrat Send a message via Yahoo to dezurtrat
So was the bent action due to shipping? Any way to take that up with the shipping company or too late for that? Still looks pretty damn good to me but pics hard to tell any issues on my blackberry.

My sliders I got from NXRocks were boxed up to perfection. They were indestructable they way he boxed them. Too good in fact. They were a bitch to unpackage

I'm thinking the shipping company dropped the or something.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra SE

Garage
If it was shipped via UPS, it wouldn't surprise me one bit that they mucked it up. I've seen the Brown Clowns do all kinds of crazy crap with shipments.

"On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions, who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait, and waiting--died!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

Suck it got bent. Sorry to hear it.

Support small businesses that support us! -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Veteran
2009 Navy Blue Xterra OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzguy View Post
If it was shipped via UPS, it wouldn't surprise me one bit that they mucked it up. I've seen the Brown Clowns do all kinds of crazy crap with shipments.
I know a guy that works at UPS that says when they see a box that says "fragile", it automatically gets bounced higher than the average box.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Veteran
2007 Desert Stone Xterra OR

thanks for the review, put a C-clamp on the bend and call it good.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Veteran
2008 Solar Yellow Xterra OR

Send a message via AIM to dezurtrat Send a message via MSN to dezurtrat Send a message via Yahoo to dezurtrat
Thing looks sweet. That may be next on my list!

Back to the Next Gen Future - "Diffs, you better hope we don't need Diffs where we are going"
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 08:01 AM
Veteran
2006 Midnight Blue Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Garage
Did you Line-X your roof?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra S

Apologize - I just saw the post.
I am aware of the problem since I spoke with silver_sancho about it. I can bring this to UPS if you wish - I just don't know if this would solve anything. When you say that the right side is bent ... isn't that maybe the C clamp is a bit "open" ? I did make all the clamps out of 1/4" and there are not easy to bend. Is the profile (1x1) bent?
Also - because of the curvature of the OEM bars - in order to install it you should apply pressure on top, in order to have the clamp seat perfectly to the 1x1 profile.
If is not a big deal - can you please take a pic of that area - where the clamp attaches to the profile specifically ?

The not anymore maker of the beefiest Skid Plates and the Extended Sliders for the X and Frontier

Last edited by nxrocks; 12-10-2009 at 03:16 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Veteran
2008 Xterra S

On the second thought - I see that the C clamp is not tight enough ( you can see this if you zoom in the picture) ... The C clamp and the 1x1 profile should touch - just like you did in the other 3 sides. If the C clamps are tight the rack should get the OEM bars curvature .... (make sure you dod it after you take the Hi-Lift off.

Just like this:

The not anymore maker of the beefiest Skid Plates and the Extended Sliders for the X and Frontier

Last edited by nxrocks; 12-10-2009 at 07:50 PM.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode