Hood Latch Broken: Hood will not Unlatch - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
2006 Xterra

Hood Latch Broken: Hood will not Unlatch

As the title says I pulled the hood opener and the hood would not open. The cable behind the opener feels loose.

I pulled the cable with pliers and it still wouldn't open. Any good ideas on how to get the hood open?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 08:34 PM
Veteran
2010 Xterra OR 6MT

Take your fingers and lift up on the front edge of the hood.
Common for the release to unlock the hood but the hood not pop up. Loose cable, it is popped. You just need to lift it up now.
bcollins likes this.

Was I the only one who was sobor and paying attention in college?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 09:28 PM
Veteran
2005 Night Armor Xterra Off Road

that or have someone pushing and pulling on the hood while someone works the interior release, or what's left of it.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:08 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2013 Lava Red Xterra S 4x4

Re-opening this thread because I have the same problem but haven't found an answer on this forum or the net in general. It feels like the end of the cable is no longer attached to the mechanism under the hood. Not the case that it's released but the hood is stuck around the edges or anything like that. With some autos you can use a bent metal rod to slide into the latch to pop it but I can't see the latch from under the edge of the hood or grill. The front skid plate blocks access from the underside of the grill. I tried blindly using a thin metal shim but of course no joy. Called a local mechanic who says no access is by design for security purposes and this is a nightmare scenario, but he will look at it tomorrow. I'm still hoping someone out there knows of a magic shim or rod trick! Here's where I type in ALL CAPS I demand that someone please help me right away!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:36 PM
2005 Xterra

Yank up in the edge of the front of the hood. Then replace the hood bumpers
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:04 PM
TNX Realm Noobie

Sorry, I'm don't think I understand your proposal. Right now it's just completely latched, what is going to give/break if I apply more force to the front of the hood? Guess that's another way of asking what a hood bumper is?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:18 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra S - Tonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Mu View Post
Sorry, I'm don't think I understand your proposal. Right now it's just completely latched, what is going to give/break if I apply more force to the front of the hood? Guess that's another way of asking what a hood bumper is?
Once you get the hood open, you will see a rubber bumper on the left and right side near the fender. These bumpers keep the front edges of the hood from wiggling up and down.

No matter where you go, there you are.
I never get lost, I have adventures.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:23 PM
TNX Realm Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunnie View Post
Once you get the hood open, you will see a rubber bumper on the left and right side near the fender. These bumpers keep the front edges of the hood from wiggling up and down.
Thanks for that info. I don't see how those would break even if I was able to brute force hood open. I'm still not seeing how 545's suggestion could work.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 10:43 PM
2005 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Mu View Post
Thanks for that info. I don't see how those would break even if I was able to brute force hood open. I'm still not seeing how 545's suggestion could work.
They are worn out, so the hood latch has cammed over too far. Yank the hood up, maybe even with someone pulling the release handle. Hood now open. Then replace bumpers.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:21 PM
TNX Realm Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 545 View Post
They are worn out, so the hood latch has cammed over too far. Yank the hood up, maybe even with someone pulling the release handle. Hood now open. Then replace bumpers.
OK, thank you, that's making more sense; but I'm sure my problem is that my cable is broke, it's slack and it's not pulling on the release latch at all. It's not that my hood has depressed too far.

I'm looking the right way to 'hook' the part of the latch that the cable would normally tug on to release it. On the Net so far I'm not finding a good enough picture of the latch so I can see exactly what needs to be pushed or tugged on.
Having trouble making it out on my truck by shining a flash light through the grill. If only I had a second working Xterra I could figure it out by eye balling it's open hood...

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > Xterra Tech Topics > Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode