First Shot Bow Shots - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
2012 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
First Shot Bow Shots

So I use to frequent an archery forum for traditional archery that did a daily post called "FIRST SHOT" and it was a ton of fun.

The idea behind it was to get you shooting from different positions that you might not normally try. It also simulates that first shot you get to take while hunting after you've been sitting in a stand in the cold for 4 hours waiting for one to walk by. Disclaimer: I've never been hunting but can imagine you're not exactly out there practicing your shots until a deer walks into range.

The way it would work is you look up the latest shot posted before you start practicing and try to recreate it on your first shot, hence the name, then you take a picture of your results and share them. I found it to be a fun way to mix things up while practicing and helpful training for a less than perfect situation that could arise if I ever do go hunting.

Here are some examples posted in the past and I think it could be cool to compile a list and maybe share some of our attempts.

-Forward facing shot at 17 yards. Stand facing the target (feet pointing towards the target) and make your shot. I'll typically short draw this one... It's kinda awkward, but a situation that could easily present itself while hunting.

-The Long Bomb... shoot 2 arrows from as far as you dare, then move up half way to the target and shoot 2 more. Give us the details...

-Today's shot will be from 18 yards with your bow canted a lot more than normal. (Might not work with a compound)

-17 yards from an elevated position. Use what you can to simulate shooting from above... tree stand, balcony, hillside, cloud, step ladder, tailgate, etc Just please shoot safely!

-Today's shot will be a walk-up series. 30, 20, 10 yards.

-Kneeling at 23 yards.

-Over one object(close) and under another(far) to hit your target. Set up a chair 5 yards in front of you and a box on jackstands before your target so you have to shot over the chair and under the box to hit your bulls-eye.

Like I said those were just some ideas so maybe post some ideas for shots to take and throw up pictures of your targets and what shot you took, along with what you're shooting.

2012 Metalic Blue PRO-4X<-- Mine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2011 Black PRO-4X <-- Hers
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 <-- Mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 02:25 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Granite Xterra X

Garage
I like the idea! I gave the forward facing shot a try at 34 yards (I shoot a compound) and it was challenging/humbling. I'm shooting a bowtech carbon icon with easton 5mm axis 340 arrows and 100 gr tips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg First Shot Fwd Facing.jpg (131.1 KB, 16 views)
Hawk136439 likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 04:43 PM
Veteran
2011 Knight Armour Frontier SV

Garage
Paging Steadyhigh.
Hawk136439 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XterraPA View Post
Push the pointy thing down into the round hole and then put a spinny thing on it hold it there.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
2012 Metallic Blue Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
I had every intention of pulling my bow out and having something worth posting here this weekend and then ended up falling asleep on the couch instead...

@pettey10 what draw weight is your compound?

2012 Metalic Blue PRO-4X<-- Mine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2011 Black PRO-4X <-- Hers
2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 <-- Mine
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 02:36 PM
Veteran & LPM
2010 ❌terra S & 2010 Frontier SE

Garage
I practice from multiple angles and positions just like with a firearm. Our bow season just started up this past Saturday, so it definitely comes in handy.

>
&

>

>
|
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 12:07 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Granite Xterra X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk136439 View Post
I had every intention of pulling my bow out and having something worth posting here this weekend and then ended up falling asleep on the couch instead...

@pettey10 what draw weight is your compound?
60 lb (sorry for the late reply)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 05:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
Shot my bow for the first time in over 5 years today. Wow did it feel good!

This was my very first 3 shots, after not shooting for over 5 years. 20 yards. Not too shabby.

VMBiohazard and Hawk136439 like this.

- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 08:48 AM
Veteran
2011 Night Armor Xterra S 4x4 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsexton View Post
Shot my bow for the first time in over 5 years today. Wow did it feel good!

This was my very first 3 shots, after not shooting for over 5 years. 20 yards. Not too shabby.

You mean to tell me you've had that used target sitting around for 5 years?

I shoot recurve just for fun and it usually amazes how well my first couple shots go after a long break. Then I start trying to control it rather than the zen archery approach and it all goes back to normal

Carpe lardum

If you're gonna be dumb you better be tough.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 09:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post

I shoot recurve just for fun and it usually amazes how well my first couple shots go after a long break. Then I start trying to control it rather than the zen archery approach and it all goes back to normal
haha, it was actually out at my Dad's. His used target, not mine

Those were honestly my first 3 shots. It was also the best group. Shot about 10 groups of 3, the largest was about a 2" group when I was getting really tired.

This was also with a compound - hunting setup. Makes me want to get my target bow (also compound) set back up and start shooting again.
Longboardr likes this.

- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2005 Night Armor ❌terra Off-Road - Overlanding Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboardr View Post
Lol! That was my first thought too the second I saw the pic. Haha. I was like first 3 shots in 5 years but all those other holes. Either he’s full of it, or he must be one cheap bastard to save a paper target for 5 years to reuse rather than just using a new one.

Hahaha! All in good sport Josh.

Support small businesses that support us! -

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Off Topic > Outdoor Activities: > Hunting/Shooting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode