Finding a Rugged Bike Carrier - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Finding a Rugged Bike Carrier

I'm in the market for a better bike rack, the cheap Amazon specials have got me this far but when I got them I knew they just don't do the trick for the long term.

Of course I have a few issues to overcome. I did some looking around to see what others are using, but I see a lot of you are going with interior or roof mounting options, and that is a no go for me. In camping loadout it has to be a hitch mount, and even that is in the way because I'm living out of the rear hatch on trips. I use a rear slide out as a kitchen.

Low mounts that the bike rests on by the wheels work well. When I take the bike off, the slide comes out over top of it so I can still get to things. It's still in the way but not so much I can't get around it. Although this product has caught my attention, sort of a swing away for hitch mounts: https://www.1up-usa.com/product/rakattach/ however I'm not crazy about extra junk to rattle, stick out and kill my clearance, or worry about failing.

For the bike rack, I found what I think might work, but it's a nice mess of business misadventure.

First I found this: https://www.1up-usa.com/product/2in-...gle-bike-rack/

Then I found it was some kind of issues between companies, I'm not sure who did what to who so it's hard to pick an ethical side, but at it's most simple, it appears the designer parted ways with what is now called 1UP and has his own very similar but none the less interesting offering here: https://quikrack.com/quik-rack-mach-...ty-1-bike-rack

Of the 2 I think I like the "Mach 2" better (they tried to steal each-others names so it gets confusing....) for the changes made to the design. That guy appears to be a designer of sorts, and I can see where he's been trying to make improvements. Frankly having designed stuff myself, I like that he's trying to find things to make it better.

However, the current company named 1UP seems to be in a much more professional position. I could place an order now and probably get a product. The QUIKR STUFF vendor seems to be ran by the designer mentioned, the rack I think I like better, doesn't seem to have anything going for him even if I wanted to say "here take my money" I can't find where to put it, how much it will cost, or anything. So my assumption there is a lot of talk but he's not actually open for business.

Have any of you guys used these mounts on an X and have any recommendations or advice? Or just share my situation and have some ideas?

I'd like to take my bike on longer trips that may incorporate rough roads, so called "overland" style trips so the rack needs to handle being bounced around, and have good security and a way to lock most everything up securely.

2011 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X - 6 MT
Check out my:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:47 AM
2006 Granite Xterra Off Road

Garage
The 1UP is a recent, good lightweight system that I've seen others I mtb with use. Not familiar with quality of Quickrack nor can vouch for the durability of either on long trips and rough wheeling. I've been using the Thule T2 on my 2" receiver for years, very beefy, durable, tried and true, never an issue, although heavier at about 60 lbs. You can dual lock each arm at the release handle and cable loop. Since I have the tire carrier, I use a 12" extender but an 8" should also work. The T2 has been upgraded and it's even better, extension available to add 2 more bikes. I have a pic in my Garage.

Good luck w your choice, report back.
Airmapper and Apples491 like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:18 AM
Veteran

A good friend of mine has an older 1UP rack and likes it a lot. When he bought the 1UP, he gave me his old T2 and that is a nice one as well, but it is pretty heavy as mentioned.

Here's another one. Josh (five9341) did a thorough review of it, and it has some definite pros and cons:
https://jo.shuabennett.com/2017/09/0...e-rack-review/
Airmapper likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:27 AM
Supporting Member
2011 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

I have a previous model year of this one.

https://www.yakima.com/fullswing

They're spendy, but solid, carry and lock up you bikes, and swing completely out of the way for easy rear hatch use.
Airmapper likes this.

and

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:01 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
2011 Avalanche White ❌terra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM1RU View Post
I have a previous model year of this one.

https://www.yakima.com/fullswing

They're spendy, but solid, carry and lock up you bikes, and swing completely out of the way for easy rear hatch use.
Hey Rob thx for providing the info. Does that carrier also work well with the MaxGear gas can holder rear bumper set up?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Click Here for >
Build Thread
(StormTrooper Gretchen (big,white,fat,ugly,and German): 2015 BMW R1200GS Adventure White
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:18 PM
Supporting Member
2011 Brilliant Silver ❌terra Pro-4X

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureRider81 View Post
Hey Rob thx for providing the info. Does that carrier also work well with the MaxGear gas can holder rear bumper set up?

Honestly, I do not know. I haven't used the bike carrier since I got the Bumper. It swings the bikes all the way to the side of the truck, but I don't know if it will swing them out far enough for the gas can carrier style. It absolutely would work with the non gas can bumper.

That said, you'd need an extension.
AdventureRider81 likes this.

and

Everything happens for a reason .... Sometimes the reason is that you're stupid and make bad decisions.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:30 PM
2013 Cayenne Red Xterra S

I'll put a vote in for 1UP. My parents love their double bike rack and, if I ever get my lazy @$$ back into mountain biking, I'll be buying one as well.
Airmapper likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 08:43 PM
2006 Granite Xterra Off Road

Garage
Another thing to consider is if you have a carbon frame, best to get a rack that does not hook on the top tube, esp when on rough roads. Even with added padding you will mar the frame, my bud’s Nomad had his clear coat rubbed off. Racks that clamp on the tires are best.

One bummer about my older T2 is since I’m on the 33” spare, the Shrock swing arm will not clear the rack’s step up, meaning the tire hits it as it swings out. You can swing it some and open the hatch only partly. Keep this in mind, and not sure of the latest gen T2. A drop extension can solve this but of course will lessen departure angle.

It sure is a beefy rack, I’ve taken it on plenty trips since I also race mtb for a shop.
Airmapper likes this.

Last edited by X4dblduty; 05-30-2019 at 08:45 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:14 PM
Veteran
2013 Night Armor Xterra Pro-4X, 6MT

Garage
I've had my 1Up for about 7 or 8 years. Never let me down. One big plus is that it's a single tray rack and therefore very light and easy to install and remove from the truck. If it were much heavier I'd probably leave it on all the time and it would weather much faster. I also have one of the add-on trays for the rare occasion I haul two bikes. Big fan of modularity and lightweight. Loading unloading of bikes is no more than 30 seconds, no joke.
Airmapper likes this.

Runners .... yeah, we're different

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

2011 Metallic Green ❌terra PRO-4X T-Swap'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureRider81 View Post

Check out what MaxGear built for me which I use with a bike rack: https://www.thenewx.org/forum/70-pro...ts-o-pics.html

I experimented with LOTS of bike racks with my previous swingout carrier (Shrockworks). Not a single hitch-receiver I found was going to fit without an extension.
If you get an extension, you should also get a little clamp thing that makes the extension not rattle around, otherwise your bikes will be flying evreywhere.

Build Page -

Trip Photos Page -

"Mods first - life later."

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Off Topic > Outdoor Activities: > Biking/Cycling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode