Finding a Rugged Bike Carrier - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Thanks for all the tips guys. I've been reading up on all the racks you suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4dblduty View Post
Another thing to consider is if you have a carbon frame, best to get a rack that does not hook on the top tube, esp when on rough roads. Even with added padding you will mar the frame, my budís Nomad had his clear coat rubbed off. Racks that clamp on the tires are best.
I think this has made it as a feature I'm definitely looking for. Not carbon frame fancy yet but I do have a rather nice bike, my current rack has already wrinkled the frame decal, I'm glad a decal touches there instead of paint, but I don't like it none the less. I mean it is a MTB after all so it's going to get banged up, but if I can limit it to accidents, that would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campisi View Post
I've had my 1Up for about 7 or 8 years. Never let me down. One big plus is that it's a single tray rack and therefore very light and easy to install and remove from the truck. If it were much heavier I'd probably leave it on all the time and it would weather much faster. I also have one of the add-on trays for the rare occasion I haul two bikes. Big fan of modularity and lightweight. Loading unloading of bikes is no more than 30 seconds, no joke.
Sounds great and what caught my eye on them. I frequently alternate between my X and my 4runner, and it would be nice to quickly swap the rack from one to the other. It's been getting a bit annoying choosing vehicle based on the bike rack.

The feature that bothers me on the 1UP is how it mounts in the receiver without a hitch pin, seems it's some kind of friction ball lock. I'm all about no rattle but I do like the safety of a mechanical stop so that even if it works loose it's not going to eventually work out of the receiver. I've read of a few incidents of 1UP's parting company with the vehicle and while it seems very rare it gives me pause, especially since I have a habit of finding wash boarded gravel roads a lot and the likelihood of it working loose seems to favor folks who drove on rougher roads.

Now some had solutions to lock the rack to the hitch with a bike lock or some jerry rigged contraption, but you pay that much for a rack I'm not too pleased at the idea of figuring out stop gaps because of a design problem.

That is a feature it looks like that designer that somehow has become QUIKRACK seems to have addressed in the latest design. It has a part that grabs the hitch pin hole, and even though it retains the friction lock it has that as a safety.

2011 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X - 6 MT
Check out my:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:29 PM
2012 Avalanche White Xterra S

Anybody.suggest the Rockymounts Monorail? I'm stoked on mine and it's really beefy... Really beefy. I recently got rear ended (rack was up, no bike) by this guy and the rack took the full hit unscathed, his car.. Not so much.
Airmapper likes this.

Last edited by fourxfunk; 06-03-2019 at 12:35 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:49 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
I recently got the newer Thule T2 XT Pro (?) and have been impressed so far. Expensive, heavy, and solid. It’s pretty high though swings down so that I can open the rear hatch all the way even bikes on it. I have an aftermarket rear bumper with integrated hitch, though no gas or tire carrier, so I can’t say comment on the compatibility there. And it locks in tight to the hitch.
https://www.rei.com/product/117245/t...ike-hitch-rack
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3B3FCE6F-EF01-4E2E-B9E3-946386E526B4_1559580708642.jpeg (283.7 KB, 7 views)
Airmapper likes this.

"It is the natural and legitimate ambition of a properly constituted geologist to see a glacier, witness an eruption, and feel an earthquake." -G.K. Gilbert

Last edited by GeolJon; 06-03-2019 at 12:53 PM.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:12 PM
Supporting Member
2007 Red Braun ❌terra S

+1 vote for the 1up. I bought the HD version 3 years ago and have used it extensively off road (drove it through Elephant Hill and Bobbies Hole once) and it has never failed me.

Not touching the frame is critical, the tires add enough compliance that the vibrations of off road doesn't effect the bike at all. I haul everything but the fatbikes with mine.
Airmapper likes this.

Click Here for >

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Veteran
2011 Super Black Xterra Pro-4X 6MT

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by X4dblduty View Post
Good luck w your choice, report back.
I went with the 1UP super duty single. First drive with it today. Very impressed with it so far but will see how I like it after several loading/unloading sessions. I threw my bike on yesterday and was like, that's it? Naw I got to do something else.... I did overdo it with the locks a bit but I probably won't do that except when traveling. Although I've had dirtbags case my bike before while I was IN the truck, so I always lock it.

My only real concern with the rack was addressed as I got the super duty model which is made to fit only a 2" receiver, not the 1.25" lawn mower, oops I'm sorry, car hitch. A locking pin was included and you stick that in the regular hitch pin hole and it acts as a safety to keep it from falling out if it by chance loosens itself and as a theft deterrent. It was the 1.25" hitch or dual hitch models that had a cheesy hack method of a safety lock.

It looks like the "newer design" Mach 2 one model is wrought with start up issues, apparently people have been waiting years to get that one. They are not 1UP but was started by the original designer of what is sold as the 1UP. I got the 1UP in a few days.

I'm not sure how necessary it is but I got the license plate mount and am going to rig up some lighting that plugs into the trailer plug. On the road out of state I may move my plate out there to avoid any hassles. Actually with just the one bike on it my plate is more visible now than with my old rack when loaded. But when folded up for storage it entirely covers my plate.

I'll try to get pics later if I think of it when I ride this afternoon. I think it fits the Xterra nicely.
X4dblduty likes this.

2011 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X - 6 MT
Check out my:

-
-

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:56 PM
TNX Realm Noobie
2015 Xterra Pro 4X

I use the Kuat NV 2.0 base and it has been great for the last three years. I moved from Nevada to Virginia with it and my bikes never budged or did I even worry about them back there. It holds the bikes by the wheels so you don't have to worry about damaging your bike. It has a locking hitch pin and a hand tightening cam that basically tightens up the connection to the hitch so it doesn't wobble.

The only issue I had was that the Nevada sun faded the front wheel cradles when I kept it on the truck all summer, but one call to Kuat and I had new front arms in about 2 days. It is a little heavy as well so that is why I just leave it on the X most of the time and I ride about 4 days a week so no point in lugging that thing in and out.

Also with the new trend with longer and slacker bikes pay attention to the wheel base. A lot of racks were designed before the new trend. I have a Whyte S-120 coming next week and it is going to barely fit on my rack. The Kuat has a max wheelbase of 48 inches and the S-120 in Medium has a 47.8 wheelbase so hopefully I don't have to buy a new rack.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Off Topic > Outdoor Activities: > Biking/Cycling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode