Michigan UP Overland Info - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
2011 Xterra Pro-4X

Michigan UP Overland Info

So starting to put together some plans for a michigan trip this summer. Planning to take 2-3 days and hit the UP for some overland / camping.

Looking for any good trails, camp spots scenery spots that you guys might know of. Wife really would like a beach camp if possible, rustic or dispersed is preferred.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 09:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
Expedition portal has a few writeups if you haven't already found them. I've always wanted to drive out on the keweenaw peninsula. Let me see if I can dig up some threads I've found.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 10:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
2015 Brilliant Silver 6MT Pro-4X & 2007 Avalanche White S 5AT 4x4 ❌terras

Garage
I believe @07BlackSpecV has spent some time up there too so hopefully he'll chime in.

Expo threads I've saved over the years that seemed helpful:
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...up-trip.80664/

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...up-trip.75487/
07BlackSpecV and djyoder27 like this.

- J.J. Watt
”You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.”

and

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 07:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

2008 Red Brawn ❌terra

I'm not a whole lot of help on specifics. I LOVE going to the UP in the fall. Wife and I usually go in October. There are unpaved "roads" all over. Many are no more than two tracks through the woods with a piece of wood nailed to a tree as a "street sign." I usually try and find something unusual to drive and see. Something most people wouldn't be able to because their car wouldn't make it or they don't want to get the Jeep dirty.

We went out to the Keweenaw Rocket Range last time. There are some lighthouses west of Whitefish Point that are only accessible by off road vehicle. Speaking of Whitefish Point, go there. There is a lighthouse and the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum. It's not huge, but lots of neat stuff, including the bell from the Edmund Fitzgerald.

There's UPOverland.org, but it's not very active. Probably best to go over to Expedition Portal and go to the regional sections (or just search around) to find info. I know Great Lakes Xterras was planning an overland trip through the UP a few years ago, but I don't think it ever happened.

I just got on google and google earth and started searching around, then mapped out the routes.
djyoder27 likes this.

Last edited by dixie1865; 03-30-2018 at 07:39 AM. Reason: break up wall of text
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
2011 Xterra Pro-4X

The lighthouse will probably be a stop, wife will like that.

Need to check out the other spots you guys mentioned.

Trying to decide if we make it over to pictured rocks as well.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 09:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

2008 Red Brawn ❌terra

For some good views from elevation, go to Thomas Rock. Another one (I haven't been yet, but recommended by a friend) is the ski jump at Copper Peak. IIRC, it's the highest in the world.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 08:56 PM
2008 Night Armor Xterra S

I've spent a lot of time in the eastern part of the UP as we have a cabin in the Les Cheneaux Islands there. Really though it's amazing to be in the Keweenaw Penninsula is amazing. To me it is a must to make it over toward Houghton, Calumet, and Copper Harbor. The North Tahquamenon Falls, White Fish Point, Soo Locks, and Crisp Point Lighthouse are great stops. Haven't done really any disbursement camping up there yet but some friends and I are trying to put a trip together for this fall. The UP is an amazing place and you won't regret any of the trip no matter how it turns out.

We be interested to hear when you'll be up there as I may be in our area.

>
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
2011 Xterra Pro-4X

Thanks for the reponses guys. I will look i to those spots. Haven't had much time this last week to do more research, daughters 1 year old party is this weekend.

Definitely will update with plans though.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 04:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

2008 Red Brawn ❌terra

A guy over on advrider.com has a loop route through the U.P. about 1200 miles total. Here's a link to the thread. There's a lot of info on points of interest and history through the area.

Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail (UPAT - 1250 miles) | Adventure Rider

Here's a link to an modified route for 4x4s (by the same guy)

Dave's World ? View topic - CannonTracks - Upper Peninsula Adventure Trail
djyoder27 likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
2011 Xterra Pro-4X

Took entirely too long, but finally booked a site in the Keweenaw Peninsula. Perfect location for the wife, right on Lake Superior with great sunsets.

Will be headed there July 18th! Can't wait.

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Tracks, Trails & Off-Road Parks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode