Camping from California to Central Texas - Page 2 - Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+)
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie
2006 Xterra Off Road 4x4 6MT

@GeolJon bahah! I almost spit up my food. I agree and I appreciate the suggestion. I have driven that 3 times now and I agree. Last time I brought nose torque with me (ammonia inhalant for powerlifters) to keep me awake. I will scout a route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

@Michael-Dallas @GeolJon @hhowden @ccg1018

Is it safe to be traveling along like fire roads or light offroads areas by myself. I am not an experienced wheeler but would like to get off the beaten path but I will be traveling alone with just my dog.

I have been scoping out some places and found out that unlike national parks, national forests allow you to backpack and hike with your dog allover, so I might just stop in to see the sights of the national parks like the grand canyon, but then jump over to places like kaibab national forest and actually do hiking/camping. But if I could find some really nice scenic views on some fire trails or off road trails I would love to camp out there (sleeping in the X)
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 01:20 PM
2014 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
I completely agree! I used to drive a box truck for work that was governed at 65 if you kept the pedal buried. Cruise control kept it at 62. I-10 was the worst and I always used 40 whenever I could!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeolJon View Post
I-10 from the AZ-NM border to Austin is probably my least favorite stretch of freeway I've driven. Mostly flat, boring, and desolate. El Paso is probably the only highlight I can think of, and traffic has always been bad driving through for me. Plus you can expect at least 2 border patrol checkpoints along I-10 that will slow you down.
If it was me, I would much rather take I-40 through AZ and NM (much of it follows old Route 66). Much more scenic, mountains, and interesting desert including high desert (ex. Flagstaff). Cool towns. The drive through eastern NM and west Texas still have to be endured regardless, but I've heard good things about Palo Duro.

Hey! Steady, girl. Hey, what's the matter? You smell something?

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 01:21 PM
2014 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
That is AWESOME to know! I?ve been wanting to go but didn?t know about this service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judomeathead View Post
Well what do you know! @hhowden @GeolJon

Carlsbad Caverns
https://www.nps.gov/cave/planyourvisit/pets.htm

KENNEL INFORMATION

The park concessioner, Carlsbad Caverns Trading Company, operates a kennel service where, for a $10/day fee, you may leave your pet in a temperature controlled environment while you tour the cave. The kennel is for day use only - no overnight stays. Their hours of operation are 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (Labor Day weekend through Memorial Day weekend). 8:30 a.m. 6:30 p.m. (Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend).

They do not take reservations, service is provided on a first-come, first-served basis.

They rarely run out of cage space, but if they do the larger cages go first. There are three sizes of cages, length x height x width in inches:

Extra tall: 47 x 32 x 24

Medium: 47 x 24 x 24

Small: 23 x 24 x 24

Hey! Steady, girl. Hey, what's the matter? You smell something?
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

@legare apparently the grand canyon has this as well!
legare likes this.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by judomeathead View Post
@Michael-Dallas @GeolJon @hhowden @ccg1018

Is it safe to be traveling along like fire roads or light offroads areas by myself. I am not an experienced wheeler but would like to get off the beaten path but I will be traveling alone with just my dog.

I have been scoping out some places and found out that unlike national parks, national forests allow you to backpack and hike with your dog allover, so I might just stop in to see the sights of the national parks like the grand canyon, but then jump over to places like kaibab national forest and actually do hiking/camping. But if I could find some really nice scenic views on some fire trails or off road trails I would love to camp out there (sleeping in the X)
Probably depends on where you are at, time of year, and how far "off the beaten path" you are. I couldn't really tell you for a lot of those places. Definitely there are places that I have been that would be fine in spring or fall but I would definitely not go alone in winter or summer.
legare likes this.

"It is the natural and legitimate ambition of a properly constituted geologist to see a glacier, witness an eruption, and feel an earthquake." -G.K. Gilbert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 03:21 PM
Well then...
2011 Avalanche White ❌terra X

Garage
I wouldn't do either place I mentioned alone, let alone with one vehicle during the winter.

Click Here for >
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

@GeolJon @ccg1018 gotcha, looks like public access roads for me then
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
TNX Realm Noobie

I am looking at this for a route.

Most of these will just be done dispersed camping I think, and I will be checking with park officials for places they deem safe to go alone in that season.

Joshua tree has some pretty mellow roads from what I see that still allow you to see some great scenery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg January trip.jpg (49.6 KB, 15 views)
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 05:55 PM
Veteran
2011 Avalanche White Xterra Pro-4X

Garage
Looks like a fun route. I might also suggest a slight detour north of White Sands test range to drive by the Very Large Array of radiotelescopes. Kind of cool to see in person.
judomeathead likes this.

"It is the natural and legitimate ambition of a properly constituted geologist to see a glacier, witness an eruption, and feel an earthquake." -G.K. Gilbert

Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) > General Topics > Tracks, Trails & Off-Road Parks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums (2005+) forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode